1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me decide MS Genie or Canton CD?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by DeepS, Mar 17, 2005.

1. DeepS

DeepS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello All

I am planning to pick up a sat/sub system at the end of the month and have a choice of going for the MS Genie 5.1 or a Canton CD series package (from the speaker power buy offer JJ is currently running) consisting of the following components:

2 x CD100
    1 x CD50
    2 x CD10
    2 x LS90 (stands)

The Canton package comes in at £709. For about £100-£150 more I can pick up the MS Genies (with stands).

I am planning to use a Denon 2803 that should be sufficient to drive the speakers. Unfortunately I have not found a place that has both the MS Genies and Cantons setup side by side to do a test. I think they both sound very good with little or nothing between them but then again I do not have 'golden ears' - 'bronze ears' maybe :D

In terms of speaker quality, they are again very similar. When it comes to value, the Cantons certainly give you a lot more speaker for your money with larger front speakers. Conversely the sub with the MS Genies is more powerful.

Choices, choices, choices.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

DeepS

2. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i am going to upgrade from my ms premiere's and was thinking about these 2 so it would be good to hear from anyone. as DeepS said nowhere has these set up side by side

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well the canotns should cost well over £1k... and are in a different class to the genies (musically the cantons are better) try and get a demo of both take your own CD/DVD and even if at different places, try and listen to both..great thing about the CD100 is the seemless integartion with the sub, best i have heard at this price, even had to ask for the sub to be turned of in a music demo as i just couldnt hear it....(that being the point)

4. iaTa

iaTa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    MS Genie's all the way... I tried Monitor Audio Radius, Kef KHT5005 and the Genie's. All three sets were stunning but the Genie's absolutely blew me away! Get a demo of them and see for yourself buddy :) I haven't heard the Cantons to be fair though - but I'm sure they can't beat those Genies - look at all the awards they have got.

This site is selling them for £699.00 - tell them that RicherSounds do pricematching plus an extra £25 off and they'll do them for £665!!! Ordered mine yesterday. They do the stands for £65 (price match again) and free delivery:

http://www.audiovisiononline.co.uk/erol.html#9145x0&&

Love it :clap:

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Many would disagree with you.

I haven't heard either but each seems to have their own following and whether DeepS has golden or wooden ears they are the ones that the speakers have to appeal to so I would suggest listening to both and going with your instincts.

6. DeepS

DeepS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am planning a trip down to Tottenham Court Road over the Easter Weekend. Hopefully one of the shops will have both sets of speakers on display side by side.

I have to say that I am leaning towards the Cantons because of fact you get more speaker for your money. I know it should be a decision purely based on the sonic qualities of speakers but if you can not tell the difference, is *ahem* bigger better?

DeepS

7. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    If you can't tell the difference, then go for cheaper or better looks.

8. iaTa

iaTa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Wait until you see the build and finish quality of the Genies... stunning.

9. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Much as I love my Genies, I'll reserve judgement on Genies vs Cantons until I hear and see them side by side or at least in the same demo room.

(EDIT: though you are right the Genies are rather nice :D )

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Have you seen the machined aluminium Cantons???

11. DeepS

DeepS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I finally got around to listening to both sets of speakers but I could not hear any difference between the both of them. Although I did listen to a B&W setup and the 705 were stunning! Now I am really tempted to save up and spend three times as much on a B&W setup (plus a new amp)

I am going to think about this and make a decision over the weekend.

DeepS