Help Me Decide G9 or LX3?

the id

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As my thread title explains...
I have been trawling the AV Forums and many opinions and reviews from the web...cannot stretch to the Canon G10 so need a final push one way or the other!

Canon G9
Panasonic LX3

The camera will be used as a back-up for my trusty Nikon D200.
Primary use for urban landscapes, street photography etc...Hopefully cause less problems from the casual observer having preconceived ideas about what I'm doing...just taking a picture.

I know this is another which one post but :lease:

War

I've also been looking for a P&S for when I don't want to lug around my DSLR. My main criteria is must be pocketable, good in low light and have manual controls. The G9 looks good with manual controls, but don't have clown pockets. The LX3 has been getting good reviews, good (for a P&S) in low light and pocketabelish. But I've been leaning towards the Richo GX200/100 which more pocketable, manual controls and there is the option of wide and zoom lenses.

I don't own either but have been going through a similar dilemna between LX3, G9 and the new G10. Just waiting for the G10 reviews. For your type of photography it sounds tailor made for the LX3. Longer zoom on the G9 but higher noise at higher ISO's. By all accounts, not withstanding the limited zoom range, the LX3 is a fine camera.

Cheers guys for the welcome input. I have to agree the LX3 is slightly winning my heart at the moment, to be honest it's the optics on the Panasonic that are grabbing my attention and the more user friendly pocketability.

Also toyed with the idea of Ricoh GX200...decisions, decisions.
It's great to have a choice but so frustrating making that final leap. :)

I wonder if there's anyone on here that's had any experience with the referenced compacts. :hiya:

A big :clap: to all who have shared their views.

War

Have a look on the Flickr groups for the LX3, some stunning pictures in low light. Have to admit I'm starting to swing in favour of the LX3.

Have a look on the Flickr groups for the LX3, some stunning pictures in low light. Have to admit I'm starting to swing in favour of the LX3.

There seems to be every kind of photo there. Some low noise but some high noise too. Without trawling through the exif of ever one it's very difficult to judge.

I'm still leaning towards the LX3 though, because the G10 just seems a bit big for someone who wants an alternative to their SLR - something they can always have with them.

There seems to be every kind of photo there. Some low noise but some high noise too. Without trawling through the exif of ever one it's very difficult to judge.

True but that's when its comes down to the person taking the photograph. I think looking at the photo's will give you a rough idea on how it performs in real world terms.

From there you have to make a judgement on weather it will fit your needs.

I'm in the same position as well ! A couple of things have put me off the LX3 though, having to buy a separate viewfinder which sits on top of the camera , so this makes it bigger. Then I prefer an inbuilt lens cap with compact cameras and the LX3 doesn't have this.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom