Help me decide Cyberhome or Sony...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Clarkey, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Clarkey

Clarkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right Im tryng to decide whether to buy a Cyberhome ADL528 or a Sony DVP NS300.

I know the cyberhome is 70 quid cheaper and it plays mp3 and has built in DD decoder. But, ive heard many problems with it, looking round cyberhome forums ive seen problems with the letterboxing going wierd during play, the player being noisy and even vibrating during playback, mp3's skipping the start etc...
    I dont have any equipment to make use of the 6 channel output of it, and I dont have a CD burner so theres no point in it being able to play CD-Rs.

The sony on the other hand is so sexy i could use it as an ornament! I just love the looks. Anyway ive heard the picture and sound quality are better than the cyberhome and with BNR and all it looks impressive. As I said I dont have a CD burner so no CD-R isnt important to me, however it plays CDRW, and this way i can get a m8 to burn me a odd VCD when i want ;). Also I get the Sony brand with it.

Im a first time DVD buyer so what do u reckon would be the best for me?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Why do you want an answer from us when you have answered your own question.

3. Clarkey

Clarkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well what the answer im giving then cos i dunno my head is spinning ;)

4. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    get the sony mate an i would get it from www.leconcepts.com i had 2 players of them first rate service an good prices;)

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Clarkey,

You said yourself that you heard that there were problems with the Cyberhome and that the picture and sound quality were much better on the Sony so there seems to be no contest.

Don't forget that the Sony will not be handset hackable so will either have to be modified or you will have to buy one already modified.

Does your budget run to a Pioneer 444 as they are excellent players and sexy looking too.

Ian

6. Clarkey

Clarkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i was gonna get it from richer sounds where it is 170 quid. They say its multi region so i presume its allready modded.

7. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    make sure it will play RCE discs because i remember a lot of richer sounds wont but i could be wrong.if you can ring a richer sounds store or just look around for other dvd retailers www.multiregionmagic.co.uk leconcepts id stay away from techtronics myself but that is just me also look in the back of dvd magazines for advertisements

8. Clarkey

Clarkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well ill be damned i just came across this player on amazon for £150 and it came with 3 free DVD's!!!!

So should I go for the richers unlocked one or the amazon one which is cheaper and had free dvd's??

If it isnt RCE compatable theres not much point to it being region free right?

9. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to retro chip is about 50 quid plus hassle plus you loose the warranty. The 3 dvds are tosh so worth about 15 quid.

try some of the links suggested above.

as for rce, there are about 15 titles with studios dropping the protection more and more coz it dont work

any machine you buy now will almost certainly contain a chip that is rce compatible

10. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just recieved the Yamaha S520 player and it is in the same league as the Sony and has the features of the Cyberhome. Have a look at hifijunkies.co.uk