1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me decide between Sony S and V Series and Hitachi 7200 Please!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by hurstnicholas, Sep 8, 2005.

1. hurstnicholas

hurstnicholas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to decide between the above 3 TVs (all 32").
    I use a TV for NTL cable (old Pace box with Scarts) and DVD. No games or PCs.
    Has anybody any experience of comparing the picture quality of the above 3 sets?
    From my recent tests, the Hitachi out-performs the S series - but I have not yet seen a V series.
    The difference in price between the V and the S/Hitachi is such, that I could afford to buy the S or Hitachi at John Lewis and receive a 5 year guaranty. If I opted for the V, I would have to buy elsewhere, without the guaranty. I guess that as new technology, large LCDs are likelier to break-down?
    All comparisons/review references would be much appreciated.

2. Smi1er

Smi1er
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My decision was between the Sony S, V and Panny 500.

The S was binned due to the fact that if I'm spending that sort of money it must be HD ready.

I have seen a V series (Sony centre on Tottenham Court Road) and I felt the picture was similar to the Panny 500. IMHO the Panny looks better so I ordered the Panny :clap:

Two days later I cancelled the order and will wait until I can compare side by side. :rolleyes: :suicide: So I will now wait until the end of this month, by which time there should be magazine reviews of the V series.

Why do you need a 5 year warrenty? Have you not heard of the Sale of Good Act?

3. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Er... the S series has HDMI input from 26" upwards.

4. hurstnicholas

hurstnicholas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sm1er
    Thanks for your feedback, but sadly the Sales of Goods Act only applies to goods sold in un-merchantable condition - i.e. faulty when they are first sold, or with faults thatdevelop in the first month - and such faults would be covered by the 12 month warranty.
    I am more concerned about faults that develop later in a TV's life - for instance, when my and about 1/2 million other Sony CRT's (long established, tested technology) developed faulty power switches after a couple of years and most of us were met (unless we argued v.hard) with a standard "cheaper to replace the whole telly, guvnor" reply!

5. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    The sales of goods act does not just cover those areas.

Have a read here: http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm

Note:

• For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

6. Smi1er

Smi1er
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have your actually read the Sale of Goods Act? When you buy an item it must be fit for it's purpose.

A lot of people think... oh it's outside it's warrenty so I'll just have to buy another. Wrong. The item must be fit for it's purpose, and the courts realise this and actually put limits on it.

For example. Buy a CRT. 4 years later the tube goes pop. You have a case. The retailer and manufacturer might say different, but then they would wouldn't they :confused:

7. Smi1er

Smi1er
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :oops: I mean't lack of WEGA