1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me convince my wife on Plasma!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Cag, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Cag

Cag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    We finally decided to not keep our Sky Plasma for various reasons but my wife needs convincing why we should get a plasma instead of our normal Sony32" DVB TV. (apart from it looks the dogs b*ll*cks)
    Plasma mad saddo seeks good reasons!!! mainly needs convinced about picture quality for Sky+ Tv as we watch TV about 80-85% of TV, 15-20% DVD I'm thinking Panny, Pio or Toshiba...I await your words of wisdom (serious if poss!!!)

Cheers
    Cag:lesson:

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i`m sure any of the 3 you say will be better by far than the sky plasma.

my vote is for the panasonic 6 series. as that the only one i have seen,

3. Cag

Cag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Does i scan ultra improve Sky PQ by much??

4. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes it can .

you will have to check to see if it will with your sky plasma.

5. itcosthowmuch

itcosthowmuch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Take the wife to a decent dealer (not Curry's etc) who will have the plasma's you mentioned setup properly and will allow you to play around with them. I did and one week later I was a happy bunny with a complete setup (oh I did have to go clothes shopping with her in return!!!!!). I also wondered about the iscan if sky needed improving but after getting it all setup am more than happy with the sky+ picture I get with my Panny.

M

6. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Get a plasma screen TV are we will send the boys around :smoke:

But all i can say is take here to a shop thats got a screen in say the penny 6 and she should love it i no my girlfriend loved it but to much money for me :suicide:

7. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Just convince her that the plasma will take up a lot less space and will allow her to change the layout of the furniture. She can have a new sofa and rug and the room will look bigger. That normally works!

8. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    I'm working on a tale that includes freeing up a corner of the lounge to use as a 'play table' for our little boy to do his play doh and painting etc on, so we keep the rest of the room nice and tidy. I think that might have some mileage in it :)

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    What I tell my customers is to buy it, burn the credit card statement, and invest in some good movies, you know, The Colour Purple, Bridges of Madison County, Chocolat, etc Good one the last one, they all like Johnny Depp!

But seriously, the designer look and space saving are the key things, have you got any surround sound? If you want that you're going to have to hide the cables, really the same with just a plasma, it's 1/2 their charm. Lots of clever install ideas floating around, check out the get your plasmas out thread.

10. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a job convincing my better half ;) about the merits of a plasma, mainly due to the 'how much for a TV?' type responses (which I completely agree with)

But now that it's in place and we've been able to free up a huge amount of space in the living room (including a re-arrangement of the furniture etc) she is really made up with how it all looks, exactly how she expected the room to be.

It's clutter free now, with no great big AV display unit needed, all DVD's are no located on glass shelving either side of plasma on wall.

No digi cam so can't show piccies, but will try and get some in the 'plasmas out for the lads' gallery at some point

Gary

11. funkin

funkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When my parents came round to our place at xmas, my mother told me that our new plasma (pioneer 434) cost more than their first house!!

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Most of my customers find it funny their telly cost more than the LR discovery that brings it round.

13. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I took Mrs Dog to a high street dealer (Sevenoakes) and got them to setup up my preferred system ready for our arrival. I had primed the shop assistant (sorry - AV expert) beforehand on the phone, to pull out all the stops with the demo. He demo'd the pod racing scene from SW1 for surround and put on some decent dvd's to show off the panel. It did the trick. She was blown away, just keeps nagging me now to finish hiding the cables. Good luck.

14. Cag

Cag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Can't try the new sofa one as we've just got on before x-mas & a rug wouldn't look 2 good in our sitting room. I could try the 'If you really love me you would let me get one'. That might work!!!!!

15. MARTIN TURNER

MARTIN TURNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    get yourself a samsung with twin tuners, decent piccy (not legend status but very acceptable) wait for monday nite footy split the screen in half eastenders on the left sky sports on the right everybodys happy...........or if u have two boys (like me) ps2 on the left xbox live on the right no more rolling on the floor fighting over remote control.

16. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I was in Sound & Vision, Bolton last week and a wife was not in the least interested in the Panny AE200 her husband was trying to convince her that they should have. 15 minutes later though, she had decided the AE300 was a better buy, so that is what they bought! Let her play with the gear and take her to a place where amny alternatives are on display. I'm sure you can't lose! Also find a dealer like S&V who offer excellent discounted prices, that'll help convince her!

17. Cag

Cag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks I might try that. But the sales people will have to lay it on thick!!

18. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Take some trowels with you m8.....................think it's been said above,the best thing is to see some of the better screens in action!

19. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Curious things, these women. When I took Mrs Dog to the demo (see earlier post) I was thinking I must convince her of buying 'in principle' and if she agreed to the principle, but did'nt like the price' then I would tell her how much cheaper I could get the set-up on the interent (total saving of about £800). Would you credit it, not only did she like the kit and how it performed but went on to convine ME that we should pay the extra there and then so that it all came from one high street dealer who we could visit and hassle if we had problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Of course I argued for milli-seconds then reluctantly agreed she was right ha ha ha ha ha!

20. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    I just orderd it and had to put up with a mth of no carnal pleasure. Had the TV so that was good solus. (mind u that was when i had my 50ins pioneer 503hde which is a little harder to hide)
    She still dosent know how much it realy cost:devil:

21. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    All I can recommend is persistance - worked for me :)

P.S. I would imagine quite a few people on the forum have shared the same pain!!! :D

JJ