Help me connect.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by SaladFingers, Aug 25, 2006.

1. SaladFingers

SaladFingers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TV: Sony KDF-E50A12U (with integrated digital tuner)

Reciever/Speakers: Yamaha AV59

DVD Player: Sony DVPNS76H

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I need help linking them all together.

This is how I have it, but it may be wrong, so could someone correct me:

Link the DVD to the Reciever via OPTICAL cable

Link the DVD to the TV via COMPONENT cable

Link the TV to the Reciever via RCA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I'm right linking the dvd player to the reciever with an optical cable allows for decent sound when playing dvds....

Linking the dvd to the TV with component allows for decent picture when watching dvds....

Linking the TV to the reciever by an RCA cable means I can get surround sound when watching digital television.

Help and advice appreciated

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    I would use a HDMI lead to connect the DVD to the TV and a digi co-ax for the DVD to the amp. I prefer co-ax to optical because the cables are more robust. I've never had a problem with a co-ax cable but I have from optical. Yes, connect the TV to the amp via RCA phono for DPL from Nicam broadcasts etc.

Try:

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/dynamic/eshop_products.set/ref/811/avo-super-pearl-hdmi-interconnect-1m/display.html

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/dynamic/eshop_products.set/ref/4/profigold-pgd481-digital-coaxial-cable/display.html

3. BigJJ

BigJJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    dave - this is also useful for me :D

can you recommend a 5 metre RCA to RCA cable? Is this the best way to link a Tosh 42wlt66 to a Denon 1906 Amp to get surround sound from tv to my speakers? and now to sound really thick - is there a difference between rca and phono? what is different?

thanks

4. SaladFingers

SaladFingers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Hi :hiya:

The 5m version of the profigold cable would probably be fine. I don't have any profigold RCA cables so don't know if they are any good at longer lengths but all my profigold cables (VGA, co-ax, optical, SCART etc) are all great value and excellent quality. MY RCA phonos are all Cable Talk (not heard about them for a while) and QED. The QED stuff is excellent but obviously dearer. These are made from good quality materials (similar to my Mark Grant Component) and they look good value. Somewhere in between the Profigold and QED stuff:

http://www.bluejeanscable.co.uk/store/audio/index.htm

I've heard a lot of good things about them on these forums and they come with a 30 day money back guarantee, so you can't lose really.

RCA Phono are one and the same. RCA = Radio Corporation of America invented them and phono just relates to the fact that the connection used to be used for connecing phonographs (bit before my time!)

6. BigJJ

BigJJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks dave - you are a star!:smashin:

7. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned: