Help me connect smart TV to a marantz receiver (audio)

MegaKen

Novice Member
So I have a marantz nr1403 + speakers. I want to connect a Vizio smart TV to it with Hdmi (hdmi1 on TV is ARC). I already have an audio source connected to the receiver (CD input) that's working fine.

I go through the setup assistant to connect the TV to the DVD input. It tells me connect an Hdmi cable to the DVD input on the receiver, which I did, then I connect the other end to HDMI 1 on the TV. Ok.

No sound.

Thing is, when I'm using apps on the smart TV, like Netflix, how does the TV know to send audio to Hdmi 1 so it can go to the receiver?

I tried other Hdmi inputs on TV.

Thx

dante01

Distinguished Member
Connect the AV receiver HDMi ARC enabled output to the TV's ARC enabled HDMI input.

In the AV receiver's settings, turn HDMI Control and HDMI ARC on. Onboard the TV turn ARC on and ensure that the TV's implimentation of HDMI CEC is also turned on. Set the TV's digital audio output settiing to a setting that equates to BITSTREAM and not to the PCM setting.

The TV uses HDMI CEC to automatically switch your AV receiver to the TV source which will be in turn associated with the HDMI ARC connection if ARC is turned on.

Only one input on your TV will be ARC enabled and you only have one HDMI ARC enabled output on the AVR. You cannot connect the TV's inputs to an AV receiver's inputs and you have to connect the AV receiver's output to an input on the TV.

ARC (Audio Return Channel) repurposes the HDMI connection from the AVR to the TV to enable it to be used to convey audio from the TV to the AVR.

Last edited:

MegaKen

Novice Member
I see. But which input does it correspond to on the receiver?

IMG_20210625_192919.jpg

Dolus

There is no input to the receiver. You connect to 'HDMI IN' socket on the AVR (as per picture) and the other end of the cable to the ARC socket on the TV, which you have probably already done if using the system to watch films.

If you had used the 'Setup Assistant', 'TV Audio Connection', it would have checked it was correct by playing sound through the speakers. I am not sure where you got the idea that you had to use the DVD input.

ARC stands for Audio Return Channel and allows the receiver to play sound from devices connected to the TV or the the inbuilt TV tuner. To access that sound you press the button on the remote marked 'TV Audio'.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Only the HDMI out port on an AV receiver is ARC enabled. If wanting to use ARC then you connect the ARC enabled HDMI out port on the AV receiver or a soundbar to the ARC enabled HDMI in port on the TV.

ARC repurposes the connection when needed to convey audio from the TV to the AV receiver. It does so via ARC and it doesn't output the signal in a manner that would allow you to output said audio and input it into a conventional HDMI input. The connections have to be made between an ARC enabled output on the AV receiver and an HDMI enabled input on the TV.

MegaKen

Novice Member
Connect the AV receiver HDMi ARC enabled output to the TV's ARC enabled HDMI input.

In the AV receiver's settings, turn HDMI Control and HDMI ARC on. Onboard the TV turn ARC on and ensure that the TV's implimentation of HDMI CEC is also turned on. Set the TV's digital audio output settiing to a setting that equates to BITSTREAM and not to the PCM setting.

The TV uses HDMI CEC to automatically switch your AV receiver to the TV source which will be in turn associated with the HDMI ARC connection if ARC is turned on.

Only one input on your TV will be ARC enabled and you only have one HDMI ARC enabled output on the AVR. You cannot connect the TV's inputs to an AV receiver's inputs and you have to connect the AV receiver's output to an input on the TV.

ARC (Audio Return Channel) repurposes the HDMI connection from the AVR to the TV to enable it to be used to convey audio from the TV to the AVR.
This worked.
Except my TV's digital audio setting has 2 options: 'pcm' and 'digital', and the only one it actually works with is PCM. But thank you, your guide helped a lot and everything works great.

MegaKen

Novice Member
There is no input to the receiver. You connect to 'HDMI IN' socket on the AVR (as per picture) and the other end of the cable to the ARC socket on the TV, which you have probably already done if using the system to watch films.

If you had used the 'Setup Assistant', 'TV Audio Connection', it would have checked it was correct by playing sound through the speakers. I am not sure where you got the idea that you had to use the DVD input.

ARC stands for Audio Return Channel and allows the receiver to play sound from devices connected to the TV or the the inbuilt TV tuner. To access that sound you press the button on the remote marked 'TV Audio'.
Ah so before this my TV was connected via toslink (but I needed it for something else that's why I wanted to reconnect with Hdmi). The sound quality seems about the same, but toslink automatically recognizes the signal encoding and when avr is set to auto it switches to whatever (like Dolby for Netflix etc). With Hdmi it's not doing that. Is that normal?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Ah so before this my TV was connected via toslink (but I needed it for something else that's why I wanted to reconnect with Hdmi). The sound quality seems about the same, but toslink automatically recognizes the signal encoding and when avr is set to auto it switches to whatever (like Dolby for Netflix etc). With Hdmi it's not doing that. Is that normal?

No, the AV receiver should still be able to automatically detect the incoming format accessed via HDMI. Maybe you've a different mode selected for the HDMI associated source compared to the mode you are using relative to the optical S/PDIF source? Each and every source can have a diofferent mode cpnfiguration and will retain the last setting toy last used for that source. Ensure the sources are set to the same mode you'd like those sources to use.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom