1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me! Computer to LCD or Plasma

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by mbkowns, Jun 25, 2004.

1. mbkowns

mbkowns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am looking to connect my computer up through the DVI port to a new plasma or lcd monitor. I want something round 42 inches with a great picture. I am also looking for one that has a resolution of 1280x1024 native.

I can't find anything .. I have been looking around maybe someone knows the perfect match for my needs.

thanks

-MBK

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No such animal, 1280x768 is the nearest, Iiyama have just released a 40" LCD to join Samsung and NEC. All are the same resolution, w-xga. The pixels are in fact not quite square, as a quick go on your calculator will tell you. You can see the distortion only with circles though, it's pretty small. DVD software can adjust to cope, and display at the proper aspect.

3. mbkowns

mbkowns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so am I better off just using 1024x768 becuase won't it strech the picture ?

I play games so my character would become wide if i tried 1280x768?

I am trying to find the right one for me

thanks

4. mbkowns

mbkowns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1280x1024 SXGA Support
    The onboard digital scaling engine can accept various PC and HDTV signals and digitally map the signals to fit within 1024x1024 pixels. Compatible signals include PC resolutions up to 1280x1024 and HDTV signals including 720P and 1080i.

http://www.tvauthority.com/Plasma-TV-Monitors-and-TVs/Sampo-PME-42X6.asp

seems like a nice deal but IF i set my resolution above native will I lose quality?

also

Should I get a large 42 inch LCD instead becuase i thought it might be hard to read text on a plasma screen. What I mean by text is like explorer screens in windows ...

thanks for your help so far

-MBK

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    T'other way about. If you sent it 1024/768 the screen will try and stretch the image, sending it native will result in something like 7% stretched image, you won't notice with games, perhaps a bit of chest enhancement when Lara stands side on!

6. mbkowns

mbkowns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alright it seems I had to learn some things here..

1024x768 is 4:3 aspect ratio I don't want that but I want a little higher but 16:9 aspect ratio.

So now I am looking for a Plasma / LCD screen roughly 42" and a resolution of 1280x720 (16:9)

send me some models you might know of :) I am looking for that as the native resolution I know alot will go to that but I want that to be the standard for the display.

you have been a great help so far thanks

-MBK

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    If it's for mainly PC use then LCD is your best option since it is far more resistant to screenburn. Besides you won't find a 1280 x 768 (or similar) plasma until you get to 50" models.

I do remember that some games will want to use a 1024 x 768 resolution whatever and will only fill the centre of the screen not the extra 200 odd pixels either side for the 16:9 shape. I would get over to the HCPC forum on that one cos my computer knowledge is pretty limited when it comes to gaming.

As for recomendations you should demo a few of these 40" LCDs, i've only seen the NEC and I thought it was a great panel for PC use. Will you use the panel for TV, DVD etc too? There may be an argument for going for a plasma depsite it's lower resolution since they are the favorite Home Cinema screen at the moment...

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You are right up to speed, except for failng to take quite enough notice of my poet above! There is no such animal, Samsung make a 22" at this res, all else in flat displays are 1280x768 max in this size range. Some plasmas have seriously non-16:9 ratios, most 50" are 1366x768, ie true 16:9. How about a nice projector? Cheap, sanyo Z2, or not so cheap, any Mustacg chip DLP, like the infocus 7200. All 1280x768. They are stupendous, my son is currently bounty hunting at 8ft across as he has a day off school today!

9. mbkowns

mbkowns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would i be able to find a lcd that is 1280x720 16:9 (1280x768) I will be doing mostly games and computer on this monitor but I will also watch movies. This purchase is more of a replacement to my 21" viewsonic.

hmm help me think of something here :)

the projector idea would be good but I don't have the space for it

thanks

-MBK

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Samsung do a 22" which is the only 1 AFAIK, I think 'Nigel' here has one, he seems pleased.