1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me complete my speaker setup, please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by lead, Aug 20, 2003.

1. lead

lead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I have managed to work myself into a frenzy attempting to complete my home cinema system and beg for your help. :zonked:

So far my system consists of the following:

Loewe Mimo 32” TV (newly purchased)

Marantz SR5300 AV Receiver (newly purchased)

Tannoy 611 Speakers (owned for several years)

My Philips CD850 CD player is still going strong, but it is now seldom used since my purchase of an iPod.

Space constraints and its multi-format capability dictate I continue to use my (chipped) X-Box as my movie source.

My movie tastes are wide and varied, but mainly consist of Sci-Fi and action movies. The system will also be used for music, for which I listen to the likes of Stereophonics, Jamiroquai, Garbage, Oasis, with the odd ‘Dance’ session on a Friday night. :clap:

With these points in mind I have been considering the following options:

Remove the aging Tannoy 611s from the equation and purchase a speaker package. Something like the Acoustic Energy AEGO P5 (which, I have been told, is soon to be discontinued), or maybe the Mission Cinema M72i Home Cinema Package (M72i + M7C1i + M7DS). I could maybe stretch to the £500 KEF KHT1005, but my girlfriend isn’t struck by their shape.

Alternatively, I could maybe utilise the Tannoys and purchase some rear speakers, a centre speaker and (possibly purchasing at a later date, when new funds are acquired) a subwoofer. Again, I was looking at the aforementioned Missions, aswell as the Tannoy Mercury mXc-M Centre Speaker and Tannoy Mercury mXr-M Rear Speakers.

I have been looking at several other speaker combinations, but with a maximum budget of £400 (the less spent the better) I hope you will be able to offer some advice.

Thanks in advance. :smashin:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Any of the options would work. The cheapest way would be to get hold of a centre speaker to match the 611s from the second hand market. Tannoy should be able to advise you which models would be suitable. Timbre matching of the rear speakers isn't so important so anything within reason would do but it may be better to stick with the Tannoy range and again the second hand market could be useful

3. lead

lead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Did Tannoy do a centre speaker to match the 6-s range? I don't think there was anything such thing as Home Cinema when I bought them ;)

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Probably not but they may have used the same or similar drivers in other speakers later on which will match better than a different manufacturers centre speaker.

It is worth asking the question of Tannoy anyway

5. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    There was a centre available for the Sixes range, the 623 as i have 609's and 603's.

6. lead

lead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Thanks. I'll google it! :D