1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me chose a scaler and explain SDI...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MarcoBiscotti, Apr 25, 2005.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be working with a Digital Projection Ivision HDX DLP projector and a modified Pioneer Elite 59-AVi for multi-region capability.

I would basically like to know if SDI output is reccommended for better picture quality with the above hardware?

The reason being, because I've come accross the following site which offers an already modified multi-region 59-AVi w/ SDI output however I'm skeptical of purchasing a moded high-end player from an online retailer:

http://www.jvb.nl/jvb.asp?cur=1&level=dvdplayers&page=title&title=206

I've been told by a friend that I do NOT need to SDI mod the 59-AVi because it can pass 480i through HDMI, yielding the exact same results has an SDI mod.

Is this true?

Now moving onto video scalers...

I've been recommended the HD Leeza but would first like to make sure that this would be the ideal choice with my DVD player.

I need a scaler which is able to accept 480i over DVI/HDMI and apparently scalers such as the iScan HD are not!

I'm not much of a tech head and only have a very basic understanding of all of this, so if someone could please explain in simple form and offer suggestions, it would be really appreciated.

I can get a REALLY cheap HD Leeza scaler but I want to make sure this would be the choice for my Pio 59-AVi and would also like to know whether or not SDI modding the player would be a waste based on what I was told, or if it'd be of benefit in conjunction with the HD Leeza video scaler... I'd like to keep a digital signal all the way through if possible for optimal image display.

Thanks in advance!!!!

:smashin:

2. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I mentioned above, I've been told that SDI modding the Pioneer Elite player would be a waste but from what I understand the HD Leeza has a Digital SDI 270Mb/s and I assume this would be key with SDI output on a DVD player as well, no?

Would my Pioneer 59-AVi be able to get optimal use with the HD Leeza and would SDI output still be unnecessary given this video scaler decision??

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know anything on the topic of SDI and video scalers?

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Marco,

The Pioneer can output 480i and 576i from it's HDMI output (at least I think it can...it's the equivalent of the 868 in Europe).

What's on a DVD is a thing called 4:2:0 component digital signal. SDI is the digital output of the mpeg decoder in the player, serialised, then stuck out the player. This is a 4:2:2 digital component signal. The 4:2:2 is digital component is the closest you can get to what is on the disc with minimal processing. HDMI specs allow this same signal type to be sent via that connector, or 4:4:4 RGB. The RGB signal has gone through two transformations one to have the upsampling to 4:4;4 and the other from component to RGB. My understanding is that the DVD player you are considering outputs the RGB colourspace HDMI signal.

Arcam DV79 will output the component 4:2:2 or the 4:4:4 RGB signals.....it'll also sound better imho. I understand the HD Leeza will accept the 480i/576i signals on it's DVI input from an HDMI player....not sure if this is just in RGB colourspace or whether it supports component as well. Lumagens DVI, HDP, HDP Pro will all accept any of the above. The DVI and HDP have optional SDI inputs and the Pro has SDI as standard....but if you were going HDMI you wouldn't need to bother.

I've set up a few Lumagens with HDMI in 480i/576i to DVI out to that projector (or the Projection Design equivalent actually). Looks good!

Hope this is of use.

Gordon

5. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow, thanks so much Gordon.. That's a lot of info!

I understand the general principle behind most of what you explained, but in summary (just to confirm :))...

Would you say that the HD Leeza is a good choice scaler to go with, and am I to understand that you agree that the SDI outputting the player would not make any difference based on the component to RGB transformation?

One of the prime reasons I'm opting for the Pio Elite over units such as the Arcam (which would sound great - especially w/ my Arcam seperates!), is the addition of SACD and DVD-Audio outputs. These are important functions for me because it saves me the cost of purchasing seperate players.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    HD Leeza is a fine choice for your situation. No SDI is the closest to the raw data on a DVD. HDMI as 4:2:2 component is the same(as sdi by all accounts). For a scaler to do its job well you want to give it the best unprocessed image you can usually so SDI is good.

Well if you need SACD/DVD-A then I guess Pioneer is the chap.

Gordon

7. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Gordon!

I don't mean to sound redundant and ask the same questions over and over, but given that HDMI is essentially the same as SDI... would modding my Pioneer offer even the slightest most subtle improvement in any possible way or should I just leave it alone and let this topic sink to the bottom of the forum?

You mentioned that SDI is, obviouslly generally good, but I just want to verify whether you meant in my case... :D

Otherwise I now understand everything and thanks for all your help!

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786