Question Help me choosing a new sub please? - budget around £1,500.

juniper

Yes, this is another "which subwoofer should I buy thread":

My room is approximately 23' x 14' with 8' ceilings. It is a dedicated cinema/movie room, with wooden floor and a single sofa in the middle plus a few rugs here and there. Detached house with no neighbours anywhere close :)

Used for 90% movies and 10% music, and I do appreciate room filling/chest thumping bass. I have had two SVS subwoofers previously, a PB12+ and (currently, although it has just died on me) a PC_13 Ultra. I also had a BK Monolith a while ago but found it lacking in grunt and just disappointing. Size and appearance are not an issue at all and the room is fully light controlled. It will be placed in a rear corner behind the seating area.

My L/R speakers are XTZ 99.36 and the rest are Focal Arias. I have no EQ software other than Audyssey via a Yamaha 3060 amp. Am also not terribly techie, so am not sure I'd be good at equalising two subs or know how to get the best out of them, so would prefer a single one, I think.

I've been looking online at PSA, XTZ, Arendal, SVS. The v1800 from PSA sounds tempting :) I've never heard one though, and do love the slam that the SVS PC Ultra has given me, and don't want to lose that feel. My budget is around £1,500.

Where would you good people advise me to go please? :)

CaPo

You wouldnt be disappointed with the PSA.
To get equivalent from svs would be a pb16 ultra at nearly 3 grand.

Jase

Distinguished Member
Either PSA or Arendal. The S1500 (now S1510) and Sub3 have excellent slam.

CaPo

It's the s1500(df version 15s) I've got, replaced an svs sb2000. Going by the first post though ported is probably the better option so any of the psa V range would be ideal.

CaPo

That all depends on you, listening habits/volumes etc.
The way psa lay out there range of subs, the 18 will have 1.5 times the output of the 15, so an extra 3db.

dollag

Have you thought about DIY? I have been planning my dedicated room and with subs, it seems that you can get a lot more sub for the money.

I am currently looking at 2 x 15" units with a inuke 6000dsp and is coming in at approx £1200

juniper

Have you thought about DIY? I have been planning my dedicated room and with subs, it seems that you can get a lot more sub for the money.

I am currently looking at 2 x 15" units with a inuke 6000dsp and is coming in at approx £1200
Not a route I'd consider - I just want something I can effectively unwrap and plug and play :)

I also have my SVS PC Ultra where (I think) the amp has gone. I could just replace that, but fancy a change too. PS - any idea what sort of value my Ultra has value as is on the Classifieds........? :)

simonb3665

I think them amps are around 400-500 but good customer care from svs. You never know they may be able to help you fault fix it, lets hope its a fuse ;) Ive seen a pc13 fully working sell for 800 so worth repairing if you like it. Which tune did you use the ultra in. May help people make recommendations if they know the sound you prefered

juniper

I think them amps are around 400-500 but good customer care from svs. You never know they may be able to help you fault fix it, lets hope its a fuse ;) Ive seen a pc13 fully working sell for 800 so worth repairing if you like it. Which tune did you use the ultra in. May help people make recommendations if they know the sound you prefered
Thanks Simon. And yes I've been in touch with SVS and they've been outstandingly helpful.I've replaced the fuse and it blows straight away, so they've said its the amp. Shame :thumbsdow.

I used the PC13 Ultra with one port blocked, so 15Hz tune. I also got to chat with Tom V on the PSA US site just last night and he recommended a V1811 to me, which was nice :). If I can get a hold of one I might just have to go for one...........:D

simonb3665

I think the big boys from arendal and XTZ could be worth a look also but I dont think you will go far wrong with PSA.