1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me choose

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by triton, Sep 16, 2004.

1. triton

triton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First Post, so go easy please ;)

I've been reading the posts searching for info thanks to all who contribute.

I'd like to get a Projector and screen.

I'd thought that I'd go for the H30 themescene model. but it was talked down when I visited the local Store. They Suggested instead that I go for an infocus SP4805.

Since I couldn't see iether of these in use. can anyone who has seen both of them comment on the pro's or cons of each, and is there another that I should be looking at. I want to kep the bill under 2K GBP for screen and projector.

regards

triton.

2. Skyav

Skyav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hilo :hiya: ,

It's been my experience, and that of a couple of friends, that a store will often try and sell you whatever they need to shift. If a particular model isn't in stock and there's a risk that you'll go somewhere else instead, some may try and push an alternative just so they can get a sale.

I'm not suggesting that's definitely the case here, nor am I suggesting that one make is superior to another - it's just something I've noticed on occasion.

I think you're doing the right thing...check out as many forums and reviews as you can and try and get the projectors demoed wherever possible.

I recently picked up an H30 which I am very pleased with. I think the image quality is excellent - very smooth and filmic. I never bothered with a screen - I'm just projecting onto my wall! It's not even pure white , and has a couple of bluetak stains, yet that doesn't seem to impact the image quality at all. I'll probably give it a proper coat of matt white at some point soon though.

I guess my point there is: Think twice about spending a ton of cash on a screen when that money can go into a better projector....unless you're really going the whole hog, or haven't got a spare white wall to hand...

I can highly recommend the H30 due to it's deep, rich colours, quietness and 4xspeed colourwheel, and Optoma/Themescene have a 3-year 'replace and return' policy which is pretty groovy. But then check out what's out there - there are many excellent projectors on the market.

:thumbsup:

Skyav