1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me choose. Upgrading to Cyrus? Naim? Musical Fidelity?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by fastkam, Aug 5, 2005.

1. fastkam

fastkam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I currently have the following setup:

Arcam CD73T
    Rotel RA-1062
    B&W 602 S3

I want to upgrade and get a better sound from my CD collection. I am selling the Arcam CD73T because I am not happy with the build quality. I am perfectly happy sticking with the other equipment unless I can get better sound - detail, resolution, bass handling from any of the kit below. I am looking to buy Used/ex-dem this time.

I am consider the following:

CD players:

Musical Fidelity XRAYv3
    Naim CD5i
    Cyrus CD8 or CD 8X with/without PSR-X

Amplifiers:

Musical Fidelity X-80 or X-150
    Naim Nait 5i

Standmount Speakers:

Monitor Audio RS1
    Quad 11L
    DYNAUDIO AUDIENCE 42

I am definitely going to buy a CD player cause my Arcam should be sold today. I can't find an MF XRAYv3 or CD8 on ebay, but there are a couple of Naim CD5i. What noticeable differences are there between these 3 CD players?

I am tempted to sell my Rotel and get the MF X-150 if I can get ex-display for £450-£550.

I would keep my 602S3 unless I would not have to spend too much to get some better standmounts.

I know it would be better if I went to a dealer to audition but most do not have everything in stock anyway. Any other suggestions, comments, advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Kam

2. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,Looks well balanced to me,maybe look at the Rega planet aswell as the Naim.Then maybe change to some B&W 700 series,but to be honest,looks a well balanced system to me.

3. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Go have a listen is the answer.

It's not as simple as "which is the best at a particular price point". Different listeners have different preferences on how music should sound, and that impacts upon (a) what designers build, and (b) what we want to buy.

The only way to really understand which you'd get is to find yourself a decent dealer and spend some time comparing the kit.