• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help me choose the right speakers - cry for help

A

alpina

Hi all,

We now have all our gear, EXCEPT speakers.

Setup is Pioneer 5060 plasma, with 989 dvd and yamaha 2600 amp.

I have attached a pic of living room previously (http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274383) to give you an idea of what we have to work with.

Initially we were looking at b&w 705's with matching center and sub but then were concerned that they would take up too much space. We then looked at b&w fpm series and the similar boston P series with matching subs. we have also lookes at tannoy arenas.

Now I'm so over it i just want to buy something and be done with it. As you can see looks are paramount but we'd hate to compromise too much in the sound department for looks. Price is not a major consideration in this company.

Should I be considering any of these or something else perhaps?

Time to wrap it up, fit aircon and paint, and start to enjoy this fantastic room. Room must maintain super contempary mood.

Please please please help.

Regards,

Julie

M

Mentally

The room is pretty big and it can even take a floorstander. If you do not want to go that way there is no problem going for the 705. You should only check that it fits the room and doesn't sound too small for it.

S

SKA.face

Lovely room,but holy batman,I think your going to have some real bad acoustic problems in there,bare walls and big hard shinny floor,be careful.

Falp

I would put the screen against the window and the speakers on each corner...

Try some QUAD L monitor speakers or even the QUAD L-ite 5.1 package, I think it will match the usually Yamaha bright sound and they're very good!

Nice room... but bare walls and hard floor... try non mettallic tweeters!

Helicon

Banned
The amp, as good as it is, won't get anywhere near the best out of some 705's. You would be better off with a quality sub/sat package, or lesser quality hifi speakers.

Falp

alpina said:
Hi all,
Room must maintain super contempary mood.

Forgot this... Tha Quad L ite piano gloss finish is very good looking...:thumbsup:

You can also take a look/listen at the very good Anthony Gallo Micro Ti / Adiva Ti with a good sub! ;)

A

alpina

thanks for all the input so far.

little suprised no one has commented on the boston p series or b&w fpm series yet.

originally i was going to preout of the 2600 and into a 1075 to run 5.1 setup but the more i think about it the less i want to see big speakers (albeit bookshelves - with stands they may as well be floorstanders plus they have to be quite a way off the wall to get best effect).

please keep comments coming as i plan to lock down speakers within the next fortnight.

cheers,

julie

Ian J

Banned
If price is not a consideration as you mentioned initially why not have a look at the new breed of wafer speakers designed to be wall hung.

We heard one or two at the Bristol show last week and the best of the bunch were the PMC Wafer range. They are comparatively expensive but sounded good

A

alpina

Curiously, I have not heard many comments specific to the P Series or Bravo II Boston range.

For those unfamiliar with them, please see attached pics.

P Series seem damn expensive, even when compared with top end bookshelf. Considering a P460 center, P450 fronts and Bravo II surrounds. Any comments? Worth the money?

Please assist.

Thanks,

Julie

Attachments

• P Series.jpg
    P Series.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 57
  • BravoII.jpg
    BravoII.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 43

Falp

Anthony Gallo Micro Ti / Adiva Ti :thumbsup:

take a look at them... and the sound :thumbsup:

M

Mentally

I personally have heard many satelite speakers and none matched the B&W 705 (including the fpm series).

rhino2k

Distinguished Member
SKA.face said:
Lovely room,but holy batman,I think your going to have some real bad acoustic problems in there,bare walls and big hard shinny floor,be careful.

thats what i was thinking :eek:

if you are not worried about hi-fi performance, i would recommend satellite speakers. surely floorstanders will sound awful in that enviroment :confused:

or if the money is there, you can get some very tasty wallmount speakers or some very slimline floorstanders. but again i'm pretty sure they will sound weird in that room :confused:

would one of the virtual surround units be any good?

something like the yamaha YSP-800 or the lush polk audio surround bar?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom