Help me choose the right one: 50" Samsung QN90A Vs 55" LG G1

YossarianPaso

Novice Member
Hello folks,
I hope you can help me decide.
I'm not extremely picky in terms of picture quality, but I would like to choose something ATSC 3.0 ready and these 2 are the most reasonably priced I could find at the moment.
Main use:
  • standard netflix (1080p) in a relatively dark room at night
  • golf tv broadcast in a quite bright room during the day
  • 4k home videos and maybe in the future 4k netflix/other streaming services

Here are my doubts
Reflections
This is the most important one. I'd love to go with the G1 (I never had an OLED), I read so many threads about LCD vs OLED in a bright room, I know that one thing is reflection handling and another is brightness, but I still can't figure out if the G1 will have issues in my room. My current tv is:
and it's barely acceptable. Is there a way to understand from those old tests if the G1 would be better or worse? (there is not test at the moment in RTings for G1, but last year GX should not be too different). For sure QN90A would be much better due to the brightness.
Extra question: do they have ways to handle automatically big differences of room brightness?

Filmmaker mode
I don't like the Soap Opera effect, but I am also too lazy to switch between pictures modes depending on the subject. They both have filmmaker mode for that, but I read it may be too dim because it expects a very dark room. Is that true? Does one TV Filmmaker Mode works better than the other?

Media player
I have tried Emby, Plex but I can't seem to have a good streaming for our 4k home videos, so I was wondering how these TVs (or last year equivalents) handle those videos from the USB port. Meaning: does their media player show thumbnails? Any issue with various formats?

thanks!

Dodgexander

Have you considered looking at 2020 stock instead and saving some money? If still available there's a good chance you'll get better value looking at TVs like the LG CX or Samsung Q90T/Q80T than newly released models.

Newly released TVs are costing more than 50% more than they are worth right now, if you want one of those and don't want to over-pay you'll be better off waiting for Black Friday discounts before buying.

As for LCD vs OLED it really depends on your own personal preferences. I'm not sure why you'd go for a 50" TV if you can fit a 55" though.

Hopefully this helps:

Some notes:
Most places now refer to LCD TVs as LED TVs. Sometimes QLED TVs, they are all just LCD TVs.

Filmaker mode is next to useless since it only engages when the content includes the filmaker flag. From what I've seen so far it looks to just be another flop. With a new TV you can set and forget settings, but if you're like most people you will need to change motion settings around depending on what you watch.

Its not filmaker mode itself that expects a dark room, but instead HDR. You'll get the best results on an OLED or LCD TV using HDR in darker environments where detail close to black isn't lost. HDR itself can look dim on both LCD and OLED TVs in brighter conditions.

USB playback is rudimentary on TVs still, if you rip your media files in a specific file format you might not have a problem but a dedicated device is still best for this purpose. One big reason its a problem is actually the audio codecs supported by the TV. Both LG and Samsung no longer support DTS Audio.

In terms of glare, it brings the unanswerable question: How bright is your room? There's no one answer, but most people who think their room is bright tend not to have issues with OLED. Its only if your room is very, very bright that its a problem. Even then, its HDR itself which causes more of an issue than SDR.

Unless you have a lot of sun and tend to watch the TV mostly when the room is very bright then an OLED probably isn't going to be an issue for you. They can get a lot brighter than TVs of old.
What you watch can also play a part. For example if you watch a lot of content that demands brightness on the screen at once, say, for example Hockey - then you may prefer an LCD TV since it will be brighter displaying very bright white images than an OLED. Golf won't be an issue really since the broadcasts are usually in SDR, although an OLED may be dimmer when the screen pans to the sky.

YossarianPaso

Novice Member
@Dodgexander Thanks a lot for the information.
A few comments:
  • reason for 55 vs 50: the alternative is between 50 inches on a stand at 10ft, or 55 wall mounted at 11ft. 55 at 10ft I feel it's too close for my taste
  • 2020 TVs: that's a good point, but since I'd like to have the ATSC 3.0 tuner built in, in 2020 stock I would have the LG GX 55", but no Samsung 50". Sony is excluded because my wife is boycotting Japanese products due to the whale hunting, so spending 2k on a Japanese TV would strain our marriage :laugh:
I could go with the GX, but I thought that the G1 may be better in terms of brightness and therefore better for the reflections

So, if I compare the SDR brightness tests on Rtings of my current tv and the GX, it would be:
current tv
SDR Peak 2% 257 cd/m2

SDR Peak 50% 257 cd/m2
GX
Peak 2% 388 cd/m²

Peak 10% 393 cd/m²

That's should be already an improvement, right?
To get an idea of how bright is the room: as I said, most of the time on my current tv reflections do not bother me, but the few times I tried to watch a movie with a lot of dark scenes (it was Joker if I remember well) on a sunny day, it was almost unwatchable.

Dodgexander

Yeah the OLED will generally be a lot brighter than your current TV, it will only be with specific content where a lot of brightness is demanded on the screen at once that an OLED will be dimmer.

Take a look at pricing, it usually differs quite a bit but new TVs tend to sell for more than 50% than they're worth. The GX may be a healthy saving over the G1 and likewise with the CX and C1 or even the BX.

In terms of picture quality really you don't need to spend extra on the G models, they only add better built in sound. The G1 does get brighter than the 2020 models though, so if that's something you're worried about you could consider getting the 2021 G1. Just beware that you pay a premium on newly released TVs and a good chunk of what you spend now will be knocked off come Black Friday.

The BX is dimmer, so if you want a brighter image the CX/C1 would be a good middle ground.

I don't personally understand your want of a smaller TV at that viewing distance, but I respect its a personal choice. I currently view about 5 feet from a 65!

YossarianPaso

Novice Member
In terms of picture quality really you don't need to spend extra on the G models, they only add better built in sound. The G1 does get brighter than the 2020 models though, so if that's something you're worried about you could consider getting the 2021 G1. Just beware that you pay a premium on newly released TVs and a good chunk of what you spend now will be knocked off come Black Friday.
I know, but GX, G1 are the only LG with built in atsc 3.0 tuners for that size.

So in the end, if the G1 is just slightly brighter than GX, I may go with GX (even thou I don't know how much brightness would make an actual difference...)

Dodgexander

Beware with the G series models they don't come with a stand included as they are designed to be wall-mounted.

Manufacturers are certainly ripping people off who want ATSC 3. Only including it on their very highest end models when surely it can't cost that much to implement.

A good excuse to make people buy another TV in a few years time perhaps ;) although you could argue broadcast TV as we know it may have a limited future. My personal prediction is everything will eventually be internet/app based :)

YossarianPaso

Novice Member
@Dodgexander thanks; you are probably right on ATSC 3.0, but my current TV is almost toast, so I don't have much choice.
Now, I was almost sold for the G1 (or GX), until... I read about black crush.
I read about it in the LG G1 owners thread, where I found this video:

Is it really that bad?

Dodgexander

First time I've heard about it, but really you have to compare the TVs against a reference monitor to know which is correct. To me the Samsung just looks brighter, Samsung TVs have an issue themselves clipping highlight details..I think every TV has something specific that could be improved, but no TV is perfect.

Buy based on your viewing conditions and personal preferences, an OLED is going to be better than an LCD TV for dark room watching, but for a bright room, or if you prefer a brighter picture an LCD TV will be better. A video doesn't really tell you how the TVs would look in person, or in your own living room.

Only way to know that is to try, luckily if you buy a TV from a good retailer you should have no problem returning the TV if you're unhappy.

YossarianPaso

Novice Member
Only way to know that is to try, luckily if you buy a TV from a good retailer you should have no problem returning the TV if you're unhappy.
Well, so I bought the G1.
I am very pleased with it. Picture quality is astounding
I was worried about the reflections, they are not an issue at all. It's sufficiently bright for my needs; in fact the only "regret" is that I went for the G1 for a small bump in brightness vs GX, but i probably did not need it.
By the way, the USB player works much better than I thought
Only dark spot, the webOS user interface: man, it's really messy. I still have to look if it's possible to de clutter it a bit, but I feel it was poorly designed. I expected also to be more responsive

Dodgexander

Only dark spot, the webOS user interface: man, it's really messy. I still have to look if it's possible to de clutter it a bit, but I feel it was poorly designed. I expected also to be more responsive
I think a few people have complained about the changes they made with the new version, but I still think its the best, and most easy to use out of all...perhaps Roku is a little less cluttered and straightforward though.

Anyway, thanks for updating the thread and I'm glad you're happy! Congratulations!

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom