1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me choose sub £250 receiver.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Melter, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Melter

Melter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay I'm looking to spend no more than £250 on a new a/v receiver. I'd be using it with a Philips 17PF9946 and a cheap Tosh dvd player from RS. It's important that it sounds good for music, not so concerned about video. The ones that look the most interesting for that money seem to be:

Pioneer VSX-D814 £199.95
    Yamaha RX-V650 £249.95
    Denon AVR-1905 £219.99
    Sony STR-DB795 £217.95
    Marantz SR4400 £169.95 (SR5400 seems unavailable anywhere)

Having done some reading here the Denon would seem the logical choice. It might be the Marantz but that's an older model and the SR4500 is out of my price range. The only thing I'm concerned with is I occasionally notice some lip sync delay on some digital channels (Echostar freeview box) and the Denon doesn't have any lip sync adjustments like a couple of the other models. So that makes me think I should maybe go for the Yammy.

What's the general view on listening to music on these models and should I go for the model that offers the best in this and put up with the lip sync delay? Is there a solution for the delay if I get the Denon without having to buy extra equipment (as you can see budget is limited and I've still to get some speakers)? Thanks.

2. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    You can get an SR5400 from www.a1-sound.co.uk
    If it's not on their website email Tim and ask him.

3. Melter

Melter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Noticed on the spec for the Denon it says
    and indicates all channels. Would this be similar to a lip sync delay?

Anyway as the music side is more of a concern I think I'm going to go with the Denon Avr1905 and a pair of Wharfedale Diamonds 9.0 (adding the other surround speakers when funds allow). Does this sound like a good combo? Thanks.

4. jcilia

jcilia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if one was interested in movies which AV would be best by now I have seen the Marantz and Denon what about the yammy and pioneer and sony ?

5. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for the yammie, it's without a doubt mindblowing with movies for that money (off course only if you have some capable speakers attached :) ) Especially if you have problems with lip sync this would be the cheapest and best solution. Yahama receivers are known to be build like tanks, but easy to control.

6. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I agree about the Yamaha. £208 on tenspot. :)

7. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I was just about to post an almost identical list!

Only I was also considering the Cambridge Azur 540, and the Denon 1705 instead.

At the moment I am edging towards either the Pioneer or the Sony.

In my case, my needs are modest (I'm basically not that fussy!). Would I be correct in assuming that any of these will give a good sound, or are there some appreaciable differences?

Melter, where were those prices from? Its been a while since I bought any new components and the cheapest I have found seems to be empire direct.

8. Melter

Melter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I got most of them from a quick check on Pricerunner and I think those prices don't include delivery. Having trawled lots of sites since, I have found the Denon for £220 inc. delivery from a site called thepleasurehome.com but don't know anything about them or heard of them before so not sure whether to trust.

I'm almost sure I'm going to go for the Denon now but it would be nice to hear some positives from those who have it that it's a good choice, never realised there were so many Yammy fans.

9. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  10. Melter

Melter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Checked the site again yesterday to find the price has now jumped to £275 inc. delivery. Looks like I missed a pricing error there and a bargain. :oops:

11. Mr Kennedy

Mr Kennedy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
  12. Mr Kennedy

Mr Kennedy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
  13. Melter

Melter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah just emailed them and they only have black in stock, silver not available for a couple of weeks. Also Avland tell me that Denon are out of stock of these and will be in short supply once available again. This receiver is proving to very elusive at a reasonable price.

14. robpow

robpow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Woody67, Did it arrive ok? How do you like it so far?

Cheers,
    Matt

15. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes it arrived next day, and I had a confirmation phone call from peter tyson that it had been shipped.

I have not really had chance to set it up properly, or have a good mess with it - other than to check it is working, but initial impressions are very good. The speaker screw connections are a pain as they are too close together and ackward to screw down, but apart from that all is well.

16. robpow

robpow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah I had the same problem with my now dead amp, a Sony STR-DB940. The speaker connector posts are too close together to get a good grip but using 4mm plugs instead solved that problem. Are you using yours with large speakers or a satellite/subwoofer combo?

Let us know how you like it, I'm hesitating between the Pioneer VSX-D814 and the Yamaha RX-V450 for the best value £200 amp for 75% music/25% movies.

Cheers,
    Matt

17. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My set up is .... Wharfdale Loundpanels and passive sub for music (connected as speaker B) and for TV I have a 6.1 set of small round pod type speakes made by Haus (speaker A and surround).

No big speaker boxes for me! :smashin:

So, while I am very pleased with the sound I get from these, I probably can't give a definative opinion as my sound will be different from a conventional speaker set up.

I am having a problem with getting the Wharfadales to play on their own as speaker B - but I may have my cables crossed.

IIRC, the Pioneer has a number of connections which the Yamaha lacks (including S-Video), and the auto set-up via microphone should give me good sound balance.

Another thing is the Pioneer remote won't learn anything from my Telewest digital remote.