1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Me Choose Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Burns, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Burns

Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smoke: Hi! Please could someone recommend me a cheap surround sound speaker system (£100) or two cheap speakers. The sound on my tv is really poor so I am looking to invest in some new speakers. I would want to use them for watching tv, playing DVD'S and playing computer games.

Many thank,

Burns!:clown:

2. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    For stereo I'm geting some TDK XS-IV S40 (£27) speakers for work. The TDK XS-IV S60 (£47) (edit: they actually tested the TDK S80) got a best buy from HiFi World magazine. As I haven't got them yet I can't tell you if the review was justified or not. The Acoustic Energy Aego2 system has good reports and is now under £100.

Getting a decent sounding AV speaker set for £100 is pushing it unless it's a run out model at substantial discount.

HTH

3. Burns

Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Do you know where I could buy these speakers? Where are you buying them from?

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    You can get the TDK from dabs, Simply and Micro Direct

The Aego from Hifi Bitz and someone else on the forum got them here

Simply, I'm getting the S40 from Simply as they're the only place that lists them. ;)

If you haven't found them already the TDK site is here and Acoustic Energy here.

At this sort of price level it's definitely the more you spend the better the sound.

5. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Try Richer Sounds for speaker packages that give 5 speakers for under £100. Cheap as chips mate.

Or look at the Wharfedale add on this site. 5 sats and an active sub from the masters of bargain speakers. Worth a look I would say. Gotta be better than your TV set.

Chris

6. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    richer has some nice 59.99 missions ,thats probably the best you will get if your on a budget.....i should no i had a old jvc pro logic to keep me satisfied for a few years, it was all i could afford.

7. Burns

Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers guys!

Burns

8. Burns

Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a look at the TDK XS-IV S60. Would they work with my X-box and my Gamecube? How would I hook them up to my tv?

Burns

9. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    How are the Xbox and GC connected to the TV and what if any audio outputs does the TV have, scart, phono or headphone socket? Also do you already have any sort of Hifi?

10. Burns

Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt, my X-box and Gamecube ae connected to my tv by a scart cable. My tv has phono audio outputs. I have a sony minidisc hifi, that is 50 watts for each speaker. It's good for music but fairly poor for tv or games.

Burns

11. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    So long as the scart cables are carrying a stereo signal into the TV, taking it out through the phonos is fine.

The TDK has a single mini jack input so will need a phono to mini jack cable to work.

You could replace the speakers on the sony with some mission or wharfedale models and connect it to the TV. I'd be surprised if they didn't improve the sound a lot over the ones that came with it. As well as the Mission's Richer Sounds have some JPW 310 £39.95 that are good too.

BTW what is the problem with the Sony on Games? A lack of impact or is it not immersive? I have my GC running through an AV amp and using prologic 2 the games really do surround you. It's several hundred pounds for that sort of system though. What's your budget?

12. Burns

Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My budget is £100. The sound from my speakers when i'm playing games is just not very clear. This is probably because there are too many different sound presets on my stereo and I don't know which one to choose. The sound preset for games has a weird treble and bass level that sounds naff. It's not immersive and the DBFB gives too much base that doesn't sound right. There is also a lack of real impact.

I'm just looking for a really good set of speakers to replace my sony one's. Although I thought that my sony speakers were some of the best you could buy.

Thanks,

Burns

13. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I've just had a look at your thread about TV's and again in there you say you don't like the sound of the Sony. Are your ears telling you something?

The sound presets are always terrible and don't improve on the very average sound quailty most mini systems have anyway

I don't think you'll be disappointed by either the Aego or TDK speakers. They're both active designs and won't need the Sony to work. I would say out of the two buy the Aego. Have you checked the Acoustic Energy site to see if there is a dealer near by. They could have a set available for demo.

If you have a local branch of Richer Sounds then get them to demo you a Cambridge A1 amp with the JPW 310 speakers. It's £10 over your budget but is 'real' HiFi they might even trade in the Sony ;) Use the X-box as a CD player.

Aego review

JPW 310 comments

Hope that helps. Let me know if you decide on anything.

14. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Tidying up today, found the HiFi World with the TDK test in it and I'm an idiot. It was the TDK S80 that they tested.

The final comment was:

"Incredible sound for the money - brilliantly implemented NXT panels give a delightfully smooth yet fast and musical sound"

The negatives were that the controls were a bit fiddly to use and the bass wasn't to the same standard as the panels.

I think I'll be out this weekend seeing if I can find either set locally and try to get a listen.

15. john<|>nhoj

john<|>nhoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at these as rears for my Denon AVR1905... The only problem is the cabling etc... One option I thought about is a set 'monoed' per channel...

The panels only go down to ~280 Hz and the sub does the rest similar to other NXT panels.

On searching the web I found that TDK do a S150 where the sub has two 3" drivers instead of one... Anyone heard this one?