Help me choose, space constraint...

springcorn

Novice Member
  • 43" 3/8 inch wide space
  • Smart TV only: Netflix/Amazon
  • Also, hopefully access video on Network File System
  • Budget up to 1 thousandish

These are the options I see, they are all 43.1" Wide:

• Sony XBR49X900F 49-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2018)
  • LG 49SM8600PUA Nano 8 Series 49" 4K Ultra HD Smart LED NanoCell TV (2019)
  • Samsung QN49Q70RAFXZA Flat 49'' QLED 4K Q70 Series (2019)
Thoughts?

Dodgexander

The Sony is the highest spec of the all with its local dimming and 120hz panel. Its a 2018 model so should be priced well compared to the others that are newly released 2019 models.

Samsung beats the Sony with smart TV but falls short with motion due to its 60hz panel.

LG is a lot worse compared to the others and should not be considered unless you prefer wider viewing angles to better overall picture quality from the front. If you view always with the lights on or during the day then this doesn't matter so much. Its smart TV is probably the best of the bunch.

You can go for a cheaper TV at this size if you do not need to have good HDR support and even cheaper again if you feel no need for a 120hz panel.

springcorn

Novice Member
The Sony is the highest spec of the all with its local dimming and 120hz panel. Its a 2018 model so should be priced well compared to the others that are newly released 2019 models.

Samsung beats the Sony with smart TV but falls short with motion due to its 60hz panel.

LG is a lot worse compared to the others and should not be considered unless you prefer wider viewing angles to better overall picture quality from the front. If you view always with the lights on or during the day then this doesn't matter so much. Its smart TV is probably the best of the bunch.

You can go for a cheaper TV at this size if you do not need to have good HDR support and even cheaper again if you feel no need for a 120hz panel.
Thank you very much for your feedback.

It sounds like the sony is the better picture. I know the 120hz is a big deal and thought that was a difference maker, but I didn't know if the Sony 120 is really 120 since they call it "X-Motion".

When you say Samsung beats Sony with smart tv, what does that mean? Like easier to use or better?

Dodgexander

If you have the time do a bit of reading up on the different smart platforms, Sony use Android TV which tends to run a lot slower than others and also tends to be more buggy. Its also not very intuitive compared to Samsungs Tizen or LGs WebOS.

The only upside to Sony's android TV is the ability to install lots of apps, for example Kodi if you wanted to use that.

One thing I forgot to mention is the Sony only has 2x HDMI 2 ports and 2x HDMI 1.4. The others have 4x HDMI 2. This means you can only connect 2x UHD devices that refresh greater than 50hz. Its still the best TV of the bunch though and if you want good picture quality, decent HDR+good motion its the model to go for.

If you aren't fussed by HDR you can even get the cheaper X850F which retains good motion and picture quality, just not decent HDR.

springcorn

Novice Member
If you have the time do a bit of reading up on the different smart platforms, Sony use Android TV which tends to run a lot slower than others and also tends to be more buggy. Its also not very intuitive compared to Samsungs Tizen or LGs WebOS.

The only upside to Sony's android TV is the ability to install lots of apps, for example Kodi if you wanted to use that.

One thing I forgot to mention is the Sony only has 2x HDMI 2 ports and 2x HDMI 1.4. The others have 4x HDMI 2. This means you can only connect 2x UHD devices that refresh greater than 50hz. Its still the best TV of the bunch though and if you want good picture quality, decent HDR+good motion its the model to go for.

If you aren't fussed by HDR you can even get the cheaper X850F which retains good motion and picture quality, just not decent HDR.
Unfortunately, the 850 in the same size screen is 46" wide which won't fit in my space.

Thanks for the information about the HDMI port version. I can't find that detail anywhere even in the manual.

Outside of netflix/amazon my biggest thing is playing video off a network file system or shared network drive or something like a netgear ReadyNAS.

It surprises me that the android system would be the worse off. I would think Samsung/LG proprietary software systems would be behind. I did read that the samsung one had a lot of embedded ads and marketing which, if true, is a turn off for me.
I would think at least the android system would be updateable and they would fix their bugs. But maybe not.

Dodgexander

They have improved it with the release of Oreo but its part underpowered chipsets and part poor design really. The TV is running a chipset about as fast as a phone a few years old now.

But its advantage is its functional, so if one app doesn't work another will. If you are wanting to use the built in smart to stream networked media having the option of both Kodi or Plex is a good thing, albeit you are always going to be limited by the formats supported by the TV.

Comparing that to a designated PC or android box, you might find it doesn't quite play everything you throw at it.

springcorn

Novice Member
They have improved it with the release of Oreo but its part underpowered chipsets and part poor design really. The TV is running a chipset about as fast as a phone a few years old now.

But its advantage is its functional, so if one app doesn't work another will. If you are wanting to use the built in smart to stream networked media having the option of both Kodi or Plex is a good thing, albeit you are always going to be limited by the formats supported by the TV.

Comparing that to a designated PC or android box, you might find it doesn't quite play everything you throw at it.
Interesting. Seems silly for them to use such an under powered chipset on a serious piece of equipment like this.

The picture quality and motion and such of the Sony is likely a bit more than I need or currently use on a regular basis, but I am hoping to buy something that lasts a good while. Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom