• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help me choose: Samsung Q9FN VS SONY AF9

PineTree

Received a deal - price same and good on 75 Samsung Q9 and Sony 65 AF9. Which one should I choose? Did demo on both with same content and Q9 was very impressive.

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Received a deal - price same and good on 75 Samsung Q9 and Sony 65 AF9. Which one should I choose? Did demo on both with same content and Q9 was very impressive.
What is your budget. Environment and usage for the tv ?

PineTree

What is your budget. Environment and usage for the tv ?

I'm getting a deal on both of them - the prices are equal with the deal. But, I only need one of the tv.

No games, mostly watching movies and serials. Environment is semi-bright apartment which gets bright at night time with lights on.

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
I'm getting a deal on both of them - the prices are equal with the deal. But, I only need one of the tv.

No games, mostly watching movies and serials. Environment is semi-bright apartment which gets bright at night time with lights on.
That’s a tough one.
Only way for me to approach this is Break it down:
1. Price: i did A quick check and found 75q9 selling for £3999 and 65af9 for £3300 at curry’s. Difference is huge
Fact you managed to get an equal price is amazing and I will assume somewhere between 2999 and 3200 for both sets
Advantage: equal

2. performance: I will say both TVs are stunning with an edge for af9. However that edge is reduced when you factor oled burn in risk.

3. Size: big is ALWAYS better
Advantage: Q9

4. Alternatives: you will be surprised but I recommend looking at alternatives
- new q9 announced next week and should push prices down further for 2018 q9
- pana releasing a superb oled with and without Atmos sound
- Sony 65xg95 is potentially a winner while saving you money rrp £2499 subject to performance. 75 is £3999 at launch but deals are always possible...

Conclusion: no clear winner in this clash..it depends on what is important for you.

Last edited:

PineTree

That’s a tough one.
Only way for me to approach this is Break it down:
1. Price: i did A quick check and found 75q9 selling for £3999 and 65af9 for £3300 at curry’s. Difference is huge
Fact you managed to get an equal price is amazing and I will assume somewhere between 2999 and 3200 for both sets

2. performance: I will say both TVs are stunning with an edge for af9. However that edge is reduced when you factor oled burn in risk.

3. Size: big is ALWAYS better
Advantage: Q9

4. Alternatives: you will be surprised but I recommend looking at alternatives
- new q9 announced next week and should push prices down further for 2018 q9
- pana releasing a superb oled with and without Atmos sound
- Sony 65xg95 is potentially a winner while saving you money rrp £2499 subject to performance. 75 is £3999 at launch but deals are always possible...

Conclusion: no clear winner in this clash..it depends on what is important for you.

Thanks. This really helps. The price that I would pay on the sets were tempting, but I'll wait for the new Q9 announced. Is it next week or March? xg95 has great specs., but if it is anything like x90, I'll pass.

PineTree

Where can I find more information on Panasonic new OLEDs (only found GZ2000 which seems amazing, but releasing very, very late) and new Q9 2019? Found very little on Q9 2019.

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Where can I find more information on Panasonic new OLEDs (only found GZ2000 which seems amazing, but releasing very, very late) and new Q9 2019? Found very little on Q9 2019.
The pana is all over the place and in this website. Have a look at John archer on Forbes too.

Samsung event in feb and we hope immediate release
Sony is a maybe but we all hope it is the xe93 successor in range versus xf9. Don’t ignore it

This is the dumping ground for now. I even posted the pics of new q9 provided by another Frenchy (too many in this forum :)
CES 2019

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
8E919E35-6899-4F89-9CDB-E7480349F015.jpeg
3407C44F-68F7-4612-B8BE-FA7258E7D23F.jpeg

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Oh boy.

IF I set aside my dislike for Samsung, my love for OLED, my passion for get as big a TV as you can get, this is actually not easy as it first seems.

My first thought is turn the lights off at night if you have the OLED. If you dont want to do that, then those extra inches and a damn good TV (if you get a good example) is hard to resist.

By serials do you mean soaps? or like Netflix stuff. If it's the former, they'll look better on the smaller OLED.

Of course waiting might get you an even bigger deal. My guess would be the AF9 would get cheaper than the Q9F. I would think Samsung would drop the price of their 8K to make it more appealing. But I'm just spit balling.

Don't forget a TV can look impressive when it's made to look so. It only time it needs to look good in your actual home.

For me, I'd still go with the OLED, but I own one and don't want to go back to LCD until it preceded with the word micro.

mad steve

After spending several months now with the Q9FN, I really haven’t missed or regretted replacing my Burned in oled.

Both stunning TVs both with flaws.. Just pick ya poison and enjoy either.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom