1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me choose Pan or Pio

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ReHaBWales, Jul 1, 2004.

1. ReHaBWales

ReHaBWales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm down to just two now.
    The Panasonic PW6 £2200ish
    or the Pioneer 434 £3500ish
    Is the Pioneer really worth all that extra money?

2. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    both good panels both have there pro's and con's. the extra money hmmm depends if your looking at upgrading other components ie DVD player ! IMO for that money id be looking at the HD panny

3. ReHaBWales

ReHaBWales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which HD panny? from where?

4. aabenraa

aabenraa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the same boat. I'm 98% sure to go with the PW6. My reasoning is thus:

1 I dont have anything that is Hi-Def as a source for a Hi-Def screen so what would I really gain? OK I could go and buy a scaler but they are alot of money on top of the extra money of a Hi-Def screen and am I really going to notice the difference?

2 Technology is progressing all the time. In a way I'm buying now expecting to change again in say 4 years time (2008) when the following may (or indeed may not..) be true:

a. Hi-Def broadcasts in the UK
    b. Hi-Def DVD available
    c. Hi-Def Plasma or LCD screens with resolutions in the region of 1920x1080 - that can show Hi-Def sources with no scaling.

5. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    try here http://www.av-sales.co.uk/plasma/html/panasonic_th-42phd6.html

a. sky announced High Def to start in 2006
    b. i belive there are some high def dvd's available like step into the liquid (not sure if this is what your on about). if your talking about blue ray etc then ????
    c. havnt the foggyest

oops b is wrong :blush: these are WMVHD DVD's which run on pc :blush:

6. j0nners

j0nners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    as mentioned earlier for a fair comparison you should be looking at the HD panny since that is the equivalent of the pioneer in terms of resolution. Then the prices are a bit closer though the pioneer is still generally more expensive.

which is better - well, search these forums and you'll find a wide spectrum of views on the pros and cons of each. it usually seems to boil down to :-

Panasonic
    * Cheaper.
    * Better contrast ratio hence blacker blacks.
    * Flexible input board options.

Pioneer
    * HDMI input.
    * Distinctive piano black frame.
    * Probably easier to setup for a beginner?

They're both highly regarded so if you don't have a HDMI DVD player then it really comes down to which you think has the better picture which you can only really decide by going and having a look at them.

jon

7. sargetheboss

sargetheboss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Your comparing the Panasonic monitor with the Pioneer television. If you are after a Plasma TV (speakers, builtin tuner, teletext etc) then you need to look between the Panasonic Viera (42PE30) and the Pioneer 434HDE.

If you want just a monitor to be fed direct from sky (and potential upgrade to scaler etc later) then you need to consider the Panasonic PW6/PWD6 (silver/black versions of standard res) or PHD6 (black only high res) against the Pioneer 43MXE1. The monitor versions will outperform the TV versions, but if you just want a simple to use telly then that may be the better choice.

So you need to decide TV or Monitor, then you can narrow down your choice properley as above and maybe know which screens to go demo (if price hasn't already swayed your decision!). Personally I prefer the Panasonic monitors over the Pioneer ones (although it is very close), but on the flip side I prefer the Pioneer TVs to the Panasonic ones...

9. bert2

bert2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How about Pan PW6 with scart and componant boards with a Zinwell ProV PV500 tuner, progressive scanner and video scaler?

Total cost £2473 including delivery, scart lead and scart switcher from AV Sales.

10. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    why dont you wait 6-8 weeks for the new panny and then compare it to the pioneer and then decide!

11. ReHaBWales

ReHaBWales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well that would be 6-8 weeks without a decent telly......could you?

12. Northmoorblue

Northmoorblue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have decided to go for a HD 42 / 43" plasma panel, either the Panasonic PHD6 or the Pioneers. I have seen various models of the Pioneer such as the 43MXE, 43MXE1, 433MXE, and the 43MXE1-S.

There is some price variation, so are they significantly different / better. I am a little confused so would appreciate any feedback on helping me to make my decision.

THX

Northmoorblue

13. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Northmoorblue,

The Pioneer 43MXE1 is the replacement for the 2 year old (but still excellent) 433MXE. The -S model has a silver coloured bezel against the usual charcoal one. You will get excellent service and advice from Joe Fernand at TMF. :)

Steve

14. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    If you intend to keep it for 2+ years forget about the SD panny - its going cheap but its not the same product as the MXE1 as its SD only - thats one of the reasons why its significantly cheaper + theres a new model round the corner. With HD Sky coming in 2006 if you buy the SD Panny your taking a short term view.

The Panny SD is not comparable to any of the Pioneers - you really need to compare a HD Panny to the 43MXE1. That when the panasonic value for money equation heads south fast. You will find that the MXE1 is not only cheaper but has an extra inch (it all counts) and imho a better picture (not demod it myself but if its anything like the HDE then it will)

15. ReHaBWales

ReHaBWales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think so rags. I think since their is no HD broadcast until $ky in 2006 then why not buy the Panny now and upgrade in two years? Whats the point in paying a premium for something you can't really use for two years? an in two years time the MXE1 will be much cheaper or something better will have come along.

16. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Thats effectively what I said. If your going to sell it within 2 years then the SD would def be in the picture.

However even without HDTV many people feel that the HD panels offers a better pic anyway - the SD panel only offers 480 lines - thats less than current Sky broadcasts and a lot less than a PAL progressive signal.

The 43MXE1 is quite a bit cheaper than the HDE, so the premium over the SD panny is a lot less than with the HDE TV Tuner models. £600-700 springs to mind altough im not certain.

17. ReHaBWales

ReHaBWales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what is a Sky broadcast? and a PAL progressive.
    rags you know you've thrown a spanner in the works. I thought I had the down man.

So new Question what would be better the PAnny PW6 or this Pioneer MXE1 for the extra cash?....where is the cheapest place for one anyway?

18. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Sorry for the spanner - the SD panny is a good plasma no doubt but I personally would spend a bit more to go for a HD unit.

Sky broadcats are 576 lines whilst a PAL Progressive signal from a DVD player is 625 lines. So with the Panny SD your losing about 24%.

The MXE1 has just come out a couple of weeks ago so its not going to be replaced anytime soon. Not sure about the cheapest place but AV Sales are doing it for £2820.

19. Northmoorblue

Northmoorblue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THX Dutch, Rags for your replies.

What about the pro's and cons of choosing either the Panny HD6 or the Pio MXE1.

My choice will definately be one of these. I'm not looking to upgrade again in just a couple of years, my purchase will be longer term.

Northmoorblue

20. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    rags,

You seem a bit confused - Sky PAL broadcasts are 576i, while PAL PS is 576p.

Northmoorblue,

First of all, the MXE1 is about £300 cheaper than the PHD6 and also comes with a DVI input which would cost an extra £120 on the Panny. The Panny DVI also can't take a 50 Hz PAL signal, which the Pioneer can. Both models have interchangeable video boards, but you are restricted to using Panasonic's own designs, whereas third party manufacturers offer ones for the Pioneer. Hope this helps.

Steve

21. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Ok ok I didnt explain that very well. Both will be 625 lines but only 576 lines contain pic information. Either way your downscaling with the SD Panny.

22. ReHaBWales

ReHaBWales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't understand why they make them this way. Why not simply make a screen with exactly the number of lines it will be displaying?

23. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so whats the difference between the pioneer PDP-43MXE1 & PDP-43MXE??

24. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    The model is known as the PDP-43MXE1. The old model is the 433MXE. Confusing, ain't it?

Steve

25. Northmoorblue

Northmoorblue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dutch

Thanks for your help

I think I am swaying towards the Pio 43MXE-1, especially as I am going the Pioneer upgrade route with my DVD player to the 868. I am also interested in looking at the new Pio amp that is due out soon.

Perhaps I will get the best out of all the units working together.

I guess though I need to demo them both, ideally together, if that's possible

Northmoorblue

26. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what i've understand is that the Pioneer PDP-43MXE1 or 50MXE1 is the best money can buy today if you combine it with a good Lumagen scaler?

27. sirees01

sirees01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Pioneer 434HDE a few weeks ago, & although I had 2 faulty media boxes in the beginning the picture is now very good & the HDMI picture with the 868 is truly gobsmackingly good.
    With cheaper HDMI dvd players on the way you will want to get the best out of the Pioneer.

28. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Makes sense doesnt it, but that would be too easy :D

29. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Northsideblue,

You need to be aware the DVI input on the MXE1 is not HDCP compliant, so it can't be used with the HDMI output from the 868. You would need to fit a suitable DVI-HDCP card from www.auroramultimedia.com for this combination to work with digital video. Hope this helps.

Steve

30. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps because the 480 lines of resolution is exactly the amount it will be displaying when viewing US or Japanese TV/DVD. It's a sad fact of life that the European 576 line format isn't as important to Japanese manufacturers because the Japanese and US markets combined dwarf Europe.

Hopefully HD will produce a more level playing field, but as I understand it, the specs still haven't been set.