Help me choose or build an NVR

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by ln1234, Aug 23, 2012.

1. ln1234

ln1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I am looking to purchase or build a CCTV network video recorder system for my home. I currently have an analogue DVR + cameras and i'll be replacing these with some IP cameras and an NVR with relevant software.

Main things i'm looking for

- 4-6 IP cameras with motion detecting recording
    - Easy remote access for software
    - Motion detected recording to hard drive with best quality recording that is possible
    - Configurable alerts SMS/email (I don't mind doing some basic programming around this)
    - remote FTP upload (this is optional)
    - Low power consumption as it'll be on 24x7, but doesn't need to be ultra quiet as it'll be in the loft.

I'll take care of adding lighting for the IP cameras at night (either infra red or PIR activited lighting), so just need suggestions for the NVR part please. Budget flexible but ideally less than £500 for the NVR.

Is it worth going for a NAS which has cctv capabilities rather than self build?

Cheers

2. herbs

herbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I looked into the nas with cctv option but most only supply 1 or 2 camera licenses with the nas; so you have to pay extra for more licenses.
    I have 5 cameras and it became expensive for so many licenses, so built my own h61 m-itx with intel pentuim g840 for approx £150 which supports 5 ip cams, 3 x [email protected] and 2 x [email protected]
    I did use an atom 330 which just about coped with the 5 cameras but would miss some recordings.
    I use a free application called contacam but there are few free ones such as ispy connect and zoneminder.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218