Help Me Choose New Gaming HDTV.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by jpb82, Feb 13, 2009.

1. jpb82

jpb82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi

Im looking for a new big screen 40"/42" HDTV mainly to be used
    with the Xbox 360, PS3, occational older consoles like the original xbox
    and maybe a little Blu-Ray use.

After much researching ive decided on either the Panasonic 42PZ80 plasma
    or Sony 40W4000 LCD.

The only concerns i have about buying a plasma is that old chestnut again, screen burn
    even though from what i hear plasma's are MUCH better for this these days im still nervous
    about buying one as the TV will be mainly used for gaming.

Its worth pointing out im not a hardcore gamer, i consider myself more of a cinematic gamer, meaning
    i like the big scale story based games like GOW, Halo 3 and mass effect for example so i wont be spending
    hour after hour gaming just a few hours at a time.

Giving all the pro's and cons of plasma and LCD the only thing that matters to me is the picture, so could
    everyone please tell me which of these HDTV's will produce the very best PQ with X360 and PS3 games?

Panasonic 42PZ80 Plasma
    Sony 40W4000 LCD

I would really appreciate any help/advice you could give me.

Thanks

2. HD Elvis

HD Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I found that my old 40 inch Bravia gave a better picture for gaming out of the box. My pio plasma has trumped it but took a while to get the settings right. Some people say LCD's are more suited to gaming and plasmas are more for watching films. Suppose its down to whats right for you.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  3. perceptionist87

perceptionist87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Very good research you did there.
    Those two models will both deliver an excellent picture.

It's more about your credo considering Plasma VS LCD :cool:
    I can tell you what I think:
    Personally have the PZ80 and a XBOX 360+Pana BD player. And mate, I'm also a 'cinematic gamer' if you will.
    Therefore it is paramount for me to have a certain perception of depth that sucks you in while playing, also with lights dimmed.
    And that's where imho LCD can still not match Plasma in terms of black levels and contrast and that's what reproduces the depth in in a picture. Plus, a pure black is the canvas and basis for outstandig vibrant colors.
    Then again, if I ever would buy a LCD again, it would be a Bravia. But by now, whithout LED local dimming I can still see the backlight shining through with dimmed ambient light on every LCD out there, the cheaper ones not even performing well under the shop floor full bright lighting.

Ergo, since I own the first mentionned TV set and I am very satisfied, I can only recommend you the Pana.:clap:

4. perceptionist87

perceptionist87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Plus: the PZ80 offers utmost value for money considering the both price tags.

5. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    PZ80 in my opinion, although that Sony is one I would go for out of all the LCDs available. The Panasonic plasmas are very resistant to screen burn and IR though so there's no real need for concern there. I had a 2 hour (just over) spell on GTA IV on my PX80 and the map, which is a real plasma killer, did appear slightly in the bottom corner, however, this was only visible on a completely black screen (with no signal, it wasn't really visible if the screen was producing black) if I was about 8" away, and even then it was only a faint outline. Panny for me, brilliant set

6. teenwolf69

teenwolf69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    why not try the new Toshiba:D

42zv555DB :smashin:

Fantastic for gaming and SD picture!:clap:

Plus handles sport extremley well being 100hz and the new resolution technology (upscales SD pictures):clap:

Check my signature for details.:lesson:

7. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    There are quite a few new TVs coming out, including sets from LG, Panasonic, Sony and, as mentioned Toshiba among others so you may want to wait until March time when they come out. I normally think that Toshibas are a bit average and "meh" if you know what I mean, but I'm interested in seeing this one, could be good, if they pull it off