1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me choose my plasma.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Machine Head, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, the decisions been made, all I have to do now is make a choice. Well, if you don't mind, I'd like a bit of help from those of you out there who have had their plasmas a while. I have a budget of 3000k and for that I'd like it to have the following:

42" screen
    speakers
    turntable stand
    tuner

I have made the following to choose from:

Panny pw6
    Hitachi pd3000
    Hitachi pma400

I would love the new Pioneer pdp434 but I don't think I can stretch to that. Of course, that list could change depending upon any advice you give me. The Hitachi pd3000, my father in law has and he bought it from Currys for 3500k with all the bits. Very nice it is too and Currys web site has it for just above 3k. I do like the Panny pw6 but I'm not sure if it can come on a stand that turns. I'm afraid that that type of stand is a must because of where the plasma will live. It also has to be in silver so it matches the rest of my gear. Both the Hitachi's have a resolution of 1024x1024 which I have been told is very good. I have steered away from the cheaper end of the market (LG, Techwood ect) as, again, I have been told cheap is not always cheerful. So, any advice you can give me would be much appreciated. Getting sick of the father in laws gloating looks.

2. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well I have the Hitachi PMA400E and it's a great plasma -- £2495 from RicherSounds however this did not come with a stand that turns or tuner.

Tuner you can probably do without if you have SKY, not sure where you can get a turntable stand other than get the 42PD3000 with you say comes with it.

Harvey

3. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One way to wipe the smile off your father-in-laws face, is to tell him that John Lewis will do the Hitachi 42PD3000 for £3,000, with free delivery and a free 5 year warranty..( Curry's want £1,299 for the warranty alone).

It is an excellent plasma, with loads of connections (incl. 3 scarts).
    In my opinion, it looks much better with the speakers removed though.

The free 5 year warranty from John Lewis also gives peace of mind for 4 years beyond the standard manufacturers warranty.

There is an excellent thread on this forum. I think it is.... first impressions...Hitachi 42PD3000.

Basically, if you want to purchase the Hitachi from John Lewis, phone your local branch, tell them to pricematch their Cheadle store, and you will get it for £3,000. They take your credit card details, but don't put the transaction through until they are ready to deliver.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The hitachi is the only one with a swivel stand. But a terrible shame to base your plasma purchase on that. As mentioned, I doubt if you really need a tuner, a PMA400 with an RGB and sync cable would do sky and VCR very nicely, or the PW6 and scart board perhaps. Both of these leave a component input for DVD available. I also think you slightly mad for wanting speakers, but don't worry, it's probably me. Having listened to TV etc through my sound system for so long, I can't stand 'ordinary' TV sound. Tinny, cheap and nasty, and in the case of plasma side speakers, very expensive.

5. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The main drawback of not having the tuner with your plasma, and using Sky is that you can't get teletext or ceefax. Sky's text pages are not up to much.
    Also, if you live in Scotland, you cant get any football on BBC digital (Sky), you can only get it on analogue, due to a Court ruling over broadcasting rights. (Although that is about as much a drawback as not being able to watch paint dry).

6. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

7. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Machinehead, The Hitachi is delivered already on the table top stand, but you have to attach the speakers, which are in a seperate box. I'm sure it only takes a couple of minutes to do, but I think your wife will agree it looks much better without the speakers.

Let us know if you managed to remove your father-in-laws gloating looks, when you told him John Lewis were £500 cheaper than he paid, with free delivery and 5 year warranty thrown in. :laugh:

8. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    I can`t see the Hitachi on the JL site ?

9. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Order it by phone, Carlos and tell them you want a price match of £3,000 with their Cheadle store. Their in store price is £3,500, but they will do the price match with Cheadle for £3k.

10. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the wife has relented and said that we don't really have to have it on a stand that turns. She has also accepted that we don't need a tuner and will give the sound system a go as well. So, thats opened things up a bit. Anybody point me in the right direction for just a panel. Oh, it has to have a pc imput.

11. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hitachi PMA400E or the new PMA500E, lots of people like the Panasonic but it's low res screen for the same money, Pioneer is great but is expensive and still medium res. It depends on your budget. :D

Harvey

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    And it depends what you want from a pc input. It's all very well to say hi-res for the hitachi, but you can't get away from the screen scaling the image. It might be 'quite good' at it, but it's simply not good enough for me. If I want PC, it must be pixel for pixel. Therefore not alis screen. With a very tight budget I might well choose the PMA for tv, but not for PC. Do you wnat to show web conent, text from PC, or pictures/video? The lower res of the panasonic is not well suited to text, also the res is so 'low' by modern pc standards, you can't get the minimum size for some apps. on the screen. The pioneer MXE might be a good one, possible bargains around too.

13. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is gonna sound sad, but pc connection will be for.....................Championship Manager!!!! Well, not really. I can't see Mrs. Machine head allowing that, I just thought it would be handy to have. The thing is, I saw the Hitachi pma400 in Richer Sounds and was quite impressed so it may come down to my original choice. On holiday for the next 2 weeks so I'm going to have a good look round and do a bit of viewing.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Games, Huh! The pio would definitely be my choice. and also, whilst there are many happy customers, there are a surprising number of dissatisfied hitachi owners surfacing, choose wisely young jedi!

15. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well the Pioneer is so much more expensive -- fine is you wish to spend the money. Dissatisfied Hitachi owners seem less then the Pioneer at the moment and the Hitachi has been out so much longer. Once you get over it is not a progressive screen and just watch it then it makes great sense considering the price tag.

As far as scaling because the Hiachi does not have square pixels, this is true however neither does the Pioneer!!!

Harvey

16. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Spectre has Hitachi for over a year now, check it with him. (Sorry if I'm wrong)

Here is my opinion:
    After all comparisons I did I would never take it. If you can not afford Runco Plasma Wall (definitely best plasma I ever saw) go for Pionner NEC or Panasonic
    IMHO no other choice ic correct

17. cheesyhammyeggy

cheesyhammyeggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Hitachi is lovely and very easy to live with as many here will agree. Everything in life is a compromise, if I had endless funds I would get the latest Pioneer but even that is not perfect.

18. SinisterRocket

SinisterRocket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nexnix have the 500e for £2696. Seems like a good deal, not sure what the diffrences are between the 400 and 500 models to see if it is worth the extra £200. But i tihink the richersounds ones might be graded stock so its not such a great deal anyway. If it is i would spend the extra.

19. jakefraser

jakefraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 500 is definitely a benefit over the 400 Hitachi becuase it has a brighter panel rating, (1,100 against 1,000) and it has DVI input, as well as Scart input and a fanless cooling system?

The price of the 500 should be rapidly droppping to around the price of the 400, as the starting price is so low already.

Jake.

20. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No the stock is brand new and perfect, the 500 is probably the better buy with the new brightness and DVi inputs. Funny thing is if there is a fan in the 400 then it is very quiet and certainly NOT an issue for me.

Harvey

21. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After much deliberating and viewing, I have decided to go for the Hitachi pd3000. The one my father in law has:rolleyes: The best price I have found in at NexNix at 2949 quid. Anybody found it anywhere else cheaper and if so how easy would it be to get JL to price match? I have to admit that the thought of a 5 year guarentee is attractive.

22. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well...........................Just ordered the Hitachi from empire direct:D Paid 2545 quid for it:clap: and it will be delivered next thursday (22/01). Thats a full 1k less than the father in law paid 4 months ago:laugh: To say I'm happy is an understatement. It's my son's birthday next week (he'll be 4 & thinks he's spiderman) and we're having a little do so I'm keeping it under my hat and let everybody walk in and see it. I managed to get empire to lower their delivery charge from 100 to 45 quid because of the wrangle I had with them over my Mission m70's. I wanted silver and they sent black. I originally paid 325 for them, they have now put them up to 398 so in effect I got them for 280 which is a bit of a bargain really. I can live with black.

Many thanks for everybodys help, I just have one more request to ask. I will have to install the plasma myself, so can anybody with an hitachi advise me on the best way to hook up the following:

Panasonic e30 dvd recorder.
    Panasonic S35 dvd player.
    Sky digital.
    Telewest cable.
    2 vhs recorders.
    PS2.
    Pioneer C301 reciever.

I have a pine unit specially made for all this to sit in on it's way. At the moment, I have all this hooked up and working and I use a scart switcher to go between the dvd's. I also have the signal sent to 2 other rooms in the house. I know it's a lot to ask, but any advice I get will be appreciated and will make it easier for me to set everything up. I'm taking the night off work so I'm not knackered when doing this. I'll also post some before and after photo's on the 'get your plasmas out' thread when I'm sorted.

glad i have finally joined the club. Cheers.

23. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Delivered, installed it myself and everythings working fine. Very happy with it..................Just been watching and listening to Led Zeppelin on dvd thru the Mission M70's and it's simply brilliant.