1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me choose my first reciever - it MUST be gold!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mahtey, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Mahtey

Mahtey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey Guys and Girls,

Please help me choose my first AV reciever, i've got up to £400 to spend and my only limiting factor is that it must be gold.

I 'm currently using my Pioneer 717 with a Toshiba 32zd26.

The obvious contenders are....

Denon 1803
    Denon 2802
    Marantz 5300

I've read (on this wonderfully informative forum) that people have experienced problems with the Marantz reciever - regarding delays in picking up the audio tracks.

Do the Denon's suffer similar problems?

I am also open to buying second hand equipment if necessary.

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

2. bobbetts

bobbetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Perhaps others could confirm this, but is it only those amps bought from RS.

If so, I'd recommend the Marantz, but why not try to listen to them all. I had ignored the Yam 630, based on what I had read, about it's music ability, but I heard one today and it sounded great :)

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an AVR1803 sitting in my bedroom right now. I tested it against both the SR5300 and the AVR2802 and - whilst the marantz was better in stereo - the Denon was the far superior receiver with movie performance.
    It also looked nicer - the nobs on the SR5300 looked cheap & plastic and the 2802 looked dated.

Hope this helps

4. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As owner of AVR2802 (both black and dated - Oh how cruel is fashion in so few months - but the 2802, unlike the 1803, does have the pre-outs that I sought to connect to my stereo amp), I would also recommend the Denon, and suggest that you post a thread on the classifieds here. Something like

WTB: Denon 3802 (Gold) for £400

and see what attention you get.

welcome to the Forum

ditton

5. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check this out. lovely and Gold and made to go with the 717, within your budget. But, it's an amp only, not a reciever.

Or here Again not a reciever, but a little out of your price range.

6. Mahtey

Mahtey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey,

Thanks for all the replies.

bobbetts - from what i've read on the threads on this forum the audio delays on Marantz 4x00 and 5x00 units aren't exclusive to units bought at RS. I'm aware of the prowess of yamaha but i'm after a gold amp/ reciever so no yammy for me.

Dimmy - I've had a close look at the 3 units you (and I) mention, agree that the finish of the denon's is sweeter than the Marantz. However I'm not sure that I agree with your 'dated' description of the 2802.

ditton15 - Are you being sarcastic re: 'dated looks of the 2802? Thanks for the tip on placing an ad in the classifieds section I may just do that.

Army Bloke - cheers for the links. Don't think i'd really be willing to spend so much, on either unit, when they're a few years old. Also despite their obvious quality ideally i'm looking for a unit that'll give me 6.1 (at least) not to mention DPL II.

Right now i'm looking at the two denon's - the 1803 for £300 or the 2802 for £400. Not sure I need the preouts so is the 2802 worth the extra £100?

Otherwise may have a look for a S/H 3802.

Thanks again,

Matthew