1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me choose,KV32FQ80 or KV36FS76

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by noveed2006, Mar 11, 2003.

1. noveed2006

noveed2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now seen several sites and for some reason they are about the same price even though one is 32inch and the other 36ich. I have a sony digital camera and the fq80 has a built in slot for memory stick and that is a killer feature for me. But can anyone tell me how else these to monitors differ from each other besides the physical dimensions.

2. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    I can only comment on the FQ80.

I had to have my first FQ80 replaced due to some curve and slope within the pictures. But my 2nd set is Spot on, Cant fault it in any ways. It a brillent piece of kit and picture is great. The memory reader is a bonus as you got a sony cam it a damn good feature.

I love the set very much.

3. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...I am an FS76 owner and wouldn't swap it for anything (the best plasma screens being the exception)!

You can't beat the size of the FS76 compared to the FQ80 but obviously the latter has more features.

The default settings being sent out on the current FS76's seem to have a slight problem with the deflection settings. Mine is so slight I am not going to invalidate the warranty and when you have it is full screen mode you cant detect it anyway.

Colours, sound and overall effect are in my opinion stunning on the FS76! To get the best out of it though run it through Sky and watch lots of DVD's!!

Regards

Tom

4. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed with Tommo.

5. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the FS76

mine is Awesome now, but had to do some tweaking 1st :)

wouldn't swap it and it's picture is absolute quality now

:D

6. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am very sure that an excellent picture to one person is a poor picture to another.

Just writing as I think but it would be SO beneficial if we could all somehow compare setups.

I would love to have the courage to go into my service menu like yourself MackemX. How do you know what settings to change? I am sure I could vastly improve my picture (although I am very happy with it now) if I went into the menu and knew what I was doing.

Regards

Tom

7. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    straight in, no messing :)

of course I wrote the originals down 1st

but I just went from 0-63 in most settings but going from 63-0 in one step highlights the area it is affecting so from this you can use your judgement and eye to adjust it

after this I set everything to default and then adjust the necessary settings by tweaking them just by one or so to see effect of them

nearly there now, but I'm gonna give the TV and my eyes a break now :zonked:

it's a bit like playing on a CRT monitor and adjusting the settings, you gotta get used to them 1st and then you can adjust the correct ones and get a better pic

8. mmm

mmm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's gotta be the FQ80 - for sheer appearance and features :clap:

but then I do have the FQ80, so I am biased ;)

good luck !

m

9. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so what extra features does it have apart from the memory stick slot?

it looks the same as the 32FDNX200 doesn't it, but doesn't have the Digitial TV intergrated

I'm not that sure on exact differences, but the sacrific of the 4" for a memory slot and a little cosmetic difference is upto you

I was looking at the 36KDNX200 before getting the FS76 and for the extra money I couldn't justify the cosmetics or extra features, even the Digitial intergration

would be nice to know

10. mmm

mmm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There quite a number of little features that make the FQ80 a very nice set...but here goes anyway :

1. Dynamic PAP, this means that there are 2 tuners. Which allows the TV to display to different sources at the same time - and be able to change the size of the two screens.

2. Four scart sockets, 2 of which are RGB. AV3 can also be configured (if connected to a VHS) to record from any of the AV sources.

3. In Dynamic PAP more - you can pump one of the screens through the main speakers and the other screen through the headphones - and independently control the volumes.

4. Memory Stick.

5. Very sexy remote control unit ;)

6. 5 AV inputs, 4 of which are the scarts as mentioned above, and the fifth is on the front of the TV.

7. Be able to individually name each AV input and assign them (if you want to) to a particular TV channel - very handy.

8. Multiple screens. Shows upto 16 channels (I think) at once, but updates them every second. quite neat.

9. DRC100 - very nice - cant fault it.

10. Bloody excellent picture.

sure I have missed out a few other neat features...but if these dont tickle your fancy then I dont know what will :devil:

regards

mmm

11. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

as I thought, cos you had me confused when you said the extra features on the FQ80 compared to a FS76 cos the only difference between the FQ80 & FS76 actually is the cosmectics and the Memory Stick slot, that's about it

the NX200 is an FQ80 with a digital intergrated tuner but sacrifices the 2nd anologue tuner, so you can't get PAP and I think one less scart

the FS76 has all those features listed in your list :D, apart from number 4, the memory stick, so is it really worth sacrificing 4" of screen for a memory stick and a slight cosmetic change?

personally I didn't think so, but again it all down to personal preferences

12. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had to read that list twice because I thought it was a summary of the FS76 features. :D

Obviously owners of FS76 will vote for that set and vice-versa.

BUT...it has to be the FS76!! ;)

Regards

Tom

13. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Yes, That is right, The FQ80 and FS76 are just the same tech wise the only different between them AFAIK are:

FQ80 - Stand, TV Shell. Memory reader
    FS76 - Stand, TV Shell, 4 " bigger

Take your pick ;)

14. mmm

mmm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ah but....

if i remember correctly - I had looked at the FS76 - and didn't like the black look

FQ80 wins :clap: :D :smashin:

15. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the set gave you some black looks?, mine just beams at me

I don't exactly know what you mean by black looks!

16. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Mackem

Have you done that guid yet on how you got the white line on the test gride nice a solid with no other colour near them

17. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    er.... the FS76 is all silver on the front with a grey back.

18. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D clutching at straws for worthy differences now me thinks mmm!

cos I don't watch the side of my TV, and I can't see the back from anywhere I sit as my TV is nice n snug in the corner

I'm sure if you ask any hot blooded male if he wanted an extra 4" and I'm sure most would answer 'Yes Please" :eek:

19. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    How long you think it be mackem till you have this info that tell us how you get the white line nice on the THX test

20. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive been trying to write some sort of guide with pics, but it looks like it's too complicated to explain it properly :(

there are that many settings you can change to fine tune, I'd rather not be responsible for people messing up their TV's

I done it with confidence because I have messed on with TV's with my uncle who fixed them a few years back so I have a basic idea of what to look for and do. I ave also fine tunedmy TV's cos I hate it when you can see a red outline whenever white writin show, especially subtitles or the 100 in top left corner of teletext always shows convergence problems

I've also played with the older PC monitors that had loadsa settings etc, so it's all down to having some experience and confidence in what to do I guess

if you have this then you won't need a guide, if you do need a guide then don't mess unless you are 100% you have written down original settings and can always put it back if you mess up totally

sorry guys but I feel it's better if I don't post a guide
    :(

21. noveed2006

noveed2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Its insane i know, choosing between a 32" model against a 36".But I love the 32" cosmetics and i think the f76 just looks old fashioned when sat next to the fq80. But i have now decided to go with a fq80 paired with the dav 880s. Everywhere i look i get similar prices and everyone but comet retail was wanting to price match.
    fq80£1400 and dav880s £600.

Now its just a matter of delivery charge if any and addtional warrenty. Should i buy online or local retailer. Having read the shocking number of replies where people said they've been through a couple of tv's not being satisfied with the goods for whatever reason. I can quite easily see myself ending up with a tube someone else has returned.I have used a 4:3 toshiba tv from 12 years ago along with vhs and doubt that i would be able to pick out minor picture problems like everyone else. There must be a reason why many online retailers have pushed the price down from high street retail of £1700 down to £1400.

I have spoken to sony centre and rackhams in birmingham who both asure me that i would get new stock. Now i live in walsall and there is a tgs who i am sure will price match and maybe even waver the del charge.

Decisions , decisions, decisions

22. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    The NX200 has the memory stick (digital tuner too) and is 36". It looks exactly like the FQ80. How about that? Around £1800.

23. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a thought, I have the 76 so its biased.
    Agreed side by side the 76 seems dated , but its also not 'fashionable' as such I feel will age better.3 shelves on stand.
    And the looks have really grown on me, but having said that I paid 1570 and even comet do it for 1440, the NX 200 is still some difference (cost), but viewed another sony DVB set a the picture was very good and the 36 tube needs a good source with sky it is average.
    I cannot say it clear enough, I feel once in place the 36 is still to small, a 32 looks tiny after a while and id space is not a restriction go for a 36 ( not necessarily the76 ), I was to get a 32 but glad I didn't, missues said 'you know you wont be happy' she was right , I want a damn 42'' plasma!!!!!!!!!!!

24. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Tony00 , I've just bought a FQ80 from comet online for £1430
    should be delivered tomorrow . Delivery is free !

Regarding the extended warranty , don't buy Comets 5 year option , it's £370 !!!! , check out domestic and general online quote's system .I was quoted £171 for the same period of cover with old for new . I intend to buy this at a later date

25. noveed2006

noveed2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thankyou very much mansell for the contribution and everyone else, this point of getting warranty seperate was not even considered until your post. Really unless buying the warranty directly from the retailer saves me money why should i pay for something that i will not use for another 12 months. Having looked at sony's website for a guide to hook up the vcr,dvd,sat,dav i see my cable budget beyond anything i have expected and the money i save on not getting additional cover can go into cables . Anyway back to warranty i will start a new thread so i can consider my options and listen to everyone elses experience.

26. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree your first decision should be the screen size....also if you prefer the look of the FQ80 then there is a designer stand available for the FS76 if you search the forum you will find photos, It is expensive though.
    For me the FS76 looks superb and the fact it has three shelves was important to get all my kit on.

With regard to the memory stick option, I've got a Fuji Finepix not a Sony camera so it wasn't a consideration. If viewing your photos on your TV is important to you then just make sure your DVD is VCD compatible then you can copy your photos onto a CD and view them on TV just the same.
    If the mem stick is similar to the smartmedia card in my camera then you are likely to archive your photos onto a PC then delete them from the memory stick. Therefore the only time you would use the feature on the TV is between taking the photos and archiving onto the PC....seems a bit pointless to me

Anyway to cut a long story short:laugh: Go for the FS76 and impress the girls with your extra 4 inches:D

27. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rotfl: