Help me choose global reputable email account

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by huntere, Apr 20, 2007.

1. huntere

huntere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    People

In the next 2 months I will be moving overseas permanently.
    As such Virgin have seen fit to cancel my meail accounts when I close my BB subscription - fair enough I suppose.

Anyway I need to setup a new reliable and respectable email account that I can use in UK and Australia.

Ideally it will integrate with Outlook for convenience.

Not a particular fan of hotmail - although I use it I feel for professional matters it lacks something (the reputable bit!)

Gmail doesn't integrate and apparently doesn't support folders etc.

I don;t mind paying a small fee (preferably annual so I don't have to set up DDs etc)

Any good experiences recommendations?

Evan

PS I do have an O2 account which I got with my online mobile and I think this will keep working once I cancel my mobile but looking for something thats a definite

2. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    if you like hotmail, why not use msn, sounds a bit more professional than hotmail but it is exactly the same.
    I also have an o2 account but never had one of their phones.

3. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241
    Your best bet is to register yourself an internet domain name, then forward all the email for this domain onto the mailbox you get with your new ISP.

This is the best way for everybody to go, as it gets you an unlimited number of permanent email address @yourchosenname.com etc, and avoids this situation happening when you change ISP. :)

Whenever you move, you just forward your domain email onto the new ISP mailbox. :thumbsup:

UK2.net are a good place for quick, cheap and easy domain registrations....
    EDIT: free POP mailbox with their Domains now... sorted.:smashin:

4. xxxx

xxxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Why bother with the forwarding? Any half-way decent hosting service will provide POP3 and SMTP servers for the cost of the hosting, which means that your laptop/desktop will send and receive from any wifi hotspot on the planet, or from any ISP dial-up or broadband connection, without any modifications.

I pay the vast sum of £11 a year for mine.

5. huntere

huntere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Own domain sounds a good idea

I'm not very tecchie though - do I need to be?

Also if I set up will there be similar issues with payment etc of I move around?

Is the MSN option free?

6. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241
    nah.. you don't need to be techie at all.. :)

Your domain costs literally a few quid per year, and that is it.
    With the free mailbox offer from UK2, you can't go wrong..

You setup your domain, and download your mail directly from their server into your Outlook client, just as you would with an ISP.
    So no mail forwarding or anything to worry about, it's as hard as setting up a new account in outlook..! :)

Your own, permanent Email address, which is yours for as long as you manage to keep paying the £1.99 per year for hosting the domain. :smashin:

7. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I presume when you say Outlook you don't mean Outlook Express, which doesn't always work well with IMAP.

Getting your own domain is a good idea. Be aware that the "from" address you put on your emails can be the one you own, with your own domain name, and has nothing to do with where you sent the email from. Gmail does integrate at least as well as the other alternatives people are suggesting; you just have to use its POP interface.

But the ideal, IMO, is your own domain name which you forward to a web mail service that also has plenty of storage and an IMAP interface. You may also be interested in push email to your mobile.

10 free email services

I can't vouch for the above article, and Yahoo mail is expected to offer IMAP soon (it is available now on and off in trial form). But it seems to like AIM mail.

8. Stiggy

Stiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,043
    I've used Netidentity for years. They have registered lots of really good domain names (e.g. smith.net) and as long as no-one else has the address, you can have an address like [email protected] which you can access anywhere.

It costs $20-30 per year.

9. geniusworkin

geniusworkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    gmail is decent.

You can mail folders, zip/rar them first. 2Gb storage free.

BlackBerry PUSH works fine, Hotmail doesnt work on PUSH unless you use forwarding.

GW