Help me choose cables - completely new to AV

W

whitebloodcell

Hi all, not a regular poster here, just lurk usually. As I said above I am pretty new to AV stuff, but I am pretty Tech Savvy, with connecting things up and am very knowledgeable with computers.

I just got from the forum a new set up primarily to go with my Computer

Yamaha DSP-AX630SE Reciever
Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 Floor Standers
Diamond Center
I intend to get a pair of similiar 'level' bookshelfs. to go with these, probably the Wharfedale 8.1s. When I find some cheap on the classifieds.

I dont have that much to spend, I want them to be as cheap as Poss, but obviously dont want to degrade the sound on the Speakers. I need
2x4m Length
3x2m Length
I also need a Cable to Connect my PC to the Reciever.
Haven't decided what connection to use, analog (the three cables) or digital. But need reccomedations for both please.

I honestly know nothing about the different types of cables and what makes one better than the other.

Peridot

Hi whitebloodcell,

You don't need anything fancy to get you going with your setup. Have a look through the other posts on this forum and you will see that lots of people use cheap mains electric cable, or computer networking CAT5 cable for their speakers with excellent results.

Use a digital optical or co-ax cable to connect your PC to the amp. www.tvcables.co.uk is a good place to look, or if you have a Maplin store near you, they'll sort you out. :)

W

whitebloodcell

Hi,

I was happy to hear I can use Cat5 Cable, got so much o' that its not even funny anymore.
If I am using a digital cable, does the sound card matter? (I mean quakity wise) Because I am in the process of choosing one. I intend to use the speakers, for surround gaming sound aswell as music, I thought I read somewhere that I would need to connect using Analog for that?

L

loadsofleads

I intend to use the speakers, for surround gaming sound aswell as music, I thought I read somewhere that I would need to connect using Analog for that?
Hi whitebloodcell, the only surround sound that shun's coaxial and optical digital connections are SACD and DVD Audio. You can only use analogue or digital cables such as i.link or Denonlink with those. But your referring to Dolby Digital I presume. Either coaxial or optical cable will be ideal for Dolby Digital, you won't hear a difference between either. :thumbsup:

Peridot

For advice on soundcards have a look in the Entertainment Computers forum here

There are some excellent cards available, but I must admit that the onboard sound from my MB is fine for my purposes.

Trending threads

Top Bottom