Help me choose cable thickness for my setup

Tuco Sentenza

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

I want to build an Atmos setup, a 5.1.2 one. My front speakers will be of 100W, the surround speakers and ceiling speakers of 50W, its a small apartment bedroom and i cant go to big. For the 50W surround speakers and ceiling ones i will need 6 meters for each, one will require 8 meters as i need to route it to hide the cable.
The front l/r and center speaker will be close to the AVR and the cables will be max of 2 meters. My AVR will be a Denon X1600H.

I want to buy oxigen free copper cables but not too expensive ones and i wondered if a thickness of 2x1.5mm cables will sufice for my setup or do i need to go for a bigger thickness?

I dont really understand why thicker cables are better, i have read about resistance and that on bigger resistance cables you can loose wattage, right? But what about sound quality? Will you loose SQ too on thinner cables?

Thanks!

Last edited:
'I want to buy oxigen free copper cables' - OFC is a handy indicator that the manufacturer is using a decent grade of copper, the 'oxygen free' bit will not alter what you hear.

The gauge of cable is usually based on the power capabilities of the amp and the length of the cables - for most residential installs 2x2.5mm is more than adequate.

Flexibility can be handy when it comes to threading cables through a building - we use the VanDamme Blue Series 2x2.5mm on all installs as being 'twin-axial' in easily bends in all directions vs. a conventional 'shot gun' speaker cable which only wants to bend in one direction.

Joe

PS Plenty to read over here - Speaker Wire

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom