• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help me choose between these mini-hifi system speakers

wolfenstein

Novice Member
Hi, I am new here (please be gentle) and I am asking for some advise what goes well with my chosen amp., this is going to be my first amp and I am on very tight budget as well... I am also planning to get a turntable as soon as I can save money for it maybe a regaRP1 or Project essential 2 but for now I need your advise on speaker system. Many thanks.

amp+speakers

Denon D-M40 with Monitor Audio BX1

Denon DM40DAB & Q Acoustics 2010i Graphite | Mini System INC Speakers | Richer Sounds

Denon DM40 & Tannoy Mercury V1 | Mini System INC Speakers | Richer Sounds

honestguvnor

If you want to plug a record player into an amplifier you need circuitry to handle the RIAA equalisation and boost the low level signal from the cartridge. On a budget you would like this circuitry to be built into the amplifier (i.e. a phono input socket) otherwise you will need to buy a separate box to perform the task.

The amplifier in the DM40 is low power suggesting a higher sensitivity speaker would be beneficial and, at a guess since I can find no useful spec, it probably won't like a 4 ohm load. Two of the speakers are nominally 8 ohm with one 6 ohm. The claimed sensitivities differ.

One of the speakers is front ported whereas the other two are rear ported. A rear port is probably better if your placement can accommodate it since any midrange grunge coming out of the port will be quieter at the listening position. If you cannot then the decision is made.

They are all entry level small 5" ported 2 way speakers. They will sound different if you listen to them, their looks may or may not fit and the price will vary a bit. If you can I would suggest going to the shops to have a look and listen and then plump for the one you like the most.

wolfenstein

Novice Member
Hi, thanks for the reply.. I have emailed Peter Tyson and have suggested me this:

Denon D-M40 with Q Acoustics 3020

PT said QA3020 is worth the extra for what I need (I will also connect it to my TV through optical in/out).. . googled all reviews and it seems good and better than what I have listed previously.

The turntable, I would like to get the Project Essential 2 or Rega RP but the cost+extra amp I cannot afford it just yet. I might have to settle with this I guess for now: (unless something interesting pops out of the classifieds forum section)

DENON DP200USBBlack USB Turntable

honestguvnor

I would suggest a degree of a caution following advice from hi-fi salesmen, "reviews" on the web and anonymous posts on forums like this. Your interests and those giving the advice are not necessarily well aligned.

You are looking at entry level equipment and so spending a bit more (wisely) is going to bring significant improvements. To avoid getting sucked in, set your budget and stick to it. To determine which speakers your prefer in your price range make a list and then go and look and listen to them. A salesman is going to want you to buy what he has in stock, what has the largest profit margin, etc... This is his job. It is also his job to know a fair bit about the equipment and so there is an opportunity to lead him to what best meets your needs rather than vice-versa but it will require some preparation to ask the right questions.

It looks like you can plug the Denon USB record player into your proposed Denon receiver. The Rega and Project record players will need an additional phono preamplifier making them even more expensive.

arb70sok

If you don't mind going 2nd hand you can pick up seriously good kit for not a lot of money.

Search for AudioLab 8000a on ebay. This is a seriously good HiFi amplifier, has a perfectly good phono stage built in (meaning you won't need extra electronics between your Turntable and amp). If your TV has analog RCA audio out (many do) you can plug this in to the 8000a. Monitor Audio BX2 speakers can also be picked up for not much more than £100 per pair 2nd hand at the moment and will pair well with the 8000a. If you are interested in really good SQ this is a good way to go. If you need to have "shiny new boxes" obviously no use to you. If I was on a limited budget, I would go 2nd hand. (Indeed my first proper amp was about a 20 year old 8000a, I paid £120 for about 10 years ago and is still going strong though I don't use it at the moment). If you are in/near London I could lend you an 8000a and pair of BX2's that I am not currently using and you could compare with the kit PT is offering. At the end of the day YOUR ears are the most important judge so the more kit you can listen to to see how different things sound the better!

wolfenstein

Novice Member
thanks arb70sok appreciate the gesture, I would really take your offer if I am nearby but unfortunately I live in the Midlands :( ...I googled the 8000a and seems to have very good reviews and BX2 is always highly rated in many forums, I would actually want one myself but to be honest I am not very sure what I am looking for just yet till I visit my nearest Richersound this weekend. For now I am set on Denon CEOL RCD N9 , I might find that Network thingy useful after all as most of my music files in FLAC ... the speaker I might get the Tannoy Mercury V1i as it looks good in paper with its high and low..I will have my demo this weekend against the Dali Zensor 1 and QA2020i.... I would really want to see and hear the BX2 as well. My living room is only 4.5 x 6.0 metre sq. and a closed room.. the BX2 and Dali Zensor 3 might be an overkill due to the small size of the room.

arb70sok

TBH - I haven't a clue about the Denon kit that you are considering. That particular box of tricks would seem to have a lot of features for not a lot of money. That makes me skeptical. To get all that *stuff* for £250, I wonder what the quality of it must be like and how long it is going to last?

The AudioLab amps you have seen on ebay have probably been working well for the last 10-15 years and probably will continue to work well for the next 10-15 years and will be cheaper than the Denon you are planning on buying. They don't do so much stuff (no support for network streaming or built in DAC) but what they do (pre-amp, power-amp and phono stage), they do very well. However if you can not afford the turntable quite yet and plan to play Flacc files I can see the attraction of the on-board DAC and WiFi. If it were me, I would use my money to pick up a 2nd hand quality DAC rather than a brand new cheaper DAC. However I don't know much about DAC's, particularly older ones (I am lucky enough to have an almost brand new AudioLab 8200CDQ) so am not in a position to help you on that. My sense is that it is not so easy to pick up a good 2nd hand DAC cheaply but from now on I am going to start keeping an eye open (will be watching how much this one eventually goes for ... Audiolab 8000 DAC (CD Digital to Analog converter) ).

At the end of the day it is your money and you have to do what you think is best with it for your immediate needs. If the Denon CEOL RCD N9 with your chosen speakers sounds good enough to you and you get all that functionality for so little money, perhaps not that much point looking elsewhere? Obviously you came on here looking for some opinions and you have got some now. At the end of the day though it is up to you where you want to put your money.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom