1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help me choose between sony hs10 and epson tw100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tomvbugg, Mar 7, 2003.

1. tomvbugg

tomvbugg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello you guys,

I'm torn between the choice of buying epson tw100 and sony hs10. I can buy them both for about the same price.... I have just seen the epson tw100 and liked the image... Is there anybody familier with both these projectors and can give me some good advice witch one to buy.....
    Or I can even go cheaper and go for a panasonic ae300 or sharp z90??? And put a lot of money in my pocket...
    :smoke:
    Can anybody help me??
    Thanx a lot for the info.
    :smashin:

Friendly regards

Tom

2. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have a TW100 and am supprised that the price between the HS10 and TW100 is so close, I would have thought a £1000 difference.

Very happy with my PJ, just build an HTPC but yet to test> I will be using the DVI connector running at true 1280x720. Have seen it on friends TW100 and it looked great.

Have a search on the forum for TW100 and HS10 info.

3. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    before you buy check out the ae300 it has had rave reviews at a significantly lower price

4. tomvbugg

tomvbugg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have seen the sanyo plv z1 and I didn't like because of way to much screendoor.... Does anybody know these projectors compare to the sanyo in terms of screendoor?
    I mean the epson tw100, sony hs10 and panasonic ae300?
    Also the sharp z90 i really like it because it's dlp but I'm afraid of the resolution is that too low for pal DVD's??

Thx

Friendly regards

Tom

5. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Screendoor on Tw100 is insignificant to wory me, in fact non existent. I sit about 12-13 feet away if that helps

6. Teleport

Teleport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested in the comments made by tomvbug about the Sharp XV-Z90's resolution being too low for Pal DVDs.

I thought PAL DVD resolution was 720x576 pixels.
    The Z90 can handle 800x600 pixels.

I'm not the most knowlegable person in this area, so if someone can explain resolutions to be I'd be grateful.

As I'm going to use my pj mainly for PAL DVD's maybe someone could recommend an alternative? (I like the idea of the Z90's high contrast and lack of screendoor. Would I be able to find similar quality with LCD?)

p.s. My throw distance is 7.5ft (2.3Metres)

Thanks

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Whilt the Z90 has an 800x600 panel don't forget that is 4:3 ratio. Therefore for 16:9 material you will actually only have 800x450 resolution which is less than both native NTSC (480) and PAL (576).

8. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Teleport,

You are correct in that for 4:3 PAL material the resolution is 720x576 however...

Ananamorphic widescreen PAL disc when displayed properly is effectively 1024x576, ie 16:9.

To display the 16:9 image on an 800x600 panel you need to scrunch it down to 800x450, thus losing 120 odd lines of vertical resolution.

So in summary, you either want a widescreen panel or at least a 1024x768 4:3 panel to get the best out of PAL widescreen.

-- Jon

PS OMG he did it again :D

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    As you can probably tell, I'm bored today :laugh:

10. Teleport

Teleport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies Messiah and Gothmog.

Maybe I should keep the Z90 on my shortlist and also consider a higher res LCD.

Any suggestions?

cHEERS

11. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tomvbugg,

Im in the same boat as yourself regarding the TW100 vs HS10.

I am upgrading from an AE100 and was in two minds over going to an AE300 and taking a bigger jump to TW100/HS10 territory as my budget would strecth that far.

In my opinion there is a noticible increase in image quality over the AE300 and Z1 when viewing the TW100 and HS10, the AE300 while it had little visable screen door, the pixels could be seen say 5 feet from the sceen, 3 feet for the tw100 and 2 feet for the HS10.

I perfered teh sharper picture of the Z1 screendoor and all over the AE300, even though I was upgrading from the AE100 because of screendoor... go tell...

Its a tricky decision I have to make now as the tw100 and LPX500 (yamaha clone TW100 - nicer case and better menus) were out of the box and untweaked so some vertical banding and fpn i think it may be called - like a dirty glass effect could be made out when looking for these things... a tweaked version can reduce the banding and the (fpn?)....

The HS10 on the other hand had a superior picture to the tw100 and good blacks, but it was well tweaked and had a cc40r filter. By superior picture I mean no banding and no dirty glass effect.
    A tweaked TW100 could be better again but having not seen one, I cant say.

If I had to choose today, which I dont, Id say the HS10 as its very tweakable, but I would like to see a tweaked TW100 off HTPC again before I make my final decision.

FYI the vertical banding and dirty glass effect are something that most people will not notice, you have to look for these things in particular scenes, If you are really watching the movie, its pretty hard to see them or even notice them:)

I would recommend a viewing before buying if you can... Nexnix have just upgarde their demo rooms and offer an exceptional service, I spend a good few hours there recently looking at projectors, both Kevin and Russell there were very helpful and informed. AV-Sales also have demo rooms and I think Liam McLaughlin is the man to talk to there, have no personal experience with them but I know some members recommend them as well.

Kramer is the big HS10 fan and will answer any questions you might have on that unit and Messiah is really enjoying his LPX500/TW100 and has seen Kramers HS10 in action and could give you some advice on that....

Vex.

12. Pablo

Pablo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just recently bought the TW100 and I find the image to be absolutely stunning. I'm driving it from an HTPC via DVI. Fantastic.

13. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Yep. LPX500 is also very very good. I do think the HS10 has the very slight edge on PQ over it but as stated above that was comparing an out of the box LPX with a heavily tweaked HS10. Also the LPX500/TW100 has better blacks (untweaked) and is quieter to boot with a shorter throw lens.

Quite simply I would say you would not be disappointed with either.

If you need a long throw and can mask/put up with the noise choose the HS10

If you need a short throw and/or want/need a quieter unit go the TW100/LPX route. If you go LPX I would highly recommend you consider purchasing from PriceJapan as you will pay half the UK price. However, I could not recommend you buy a TW100 from them (despite the ridiculous pricing) as their (Epson) quality control appears to be a LOT lower on pixel issues. No probs with the 2 x LPX I've had from PJ but I know many have had issues with pixels on the TW100 (aklthough the one I bought and sold on last week was pixel perfect) so you may wish to take all this with a pinch of salt.

14. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I saw a TW100, HS10 and AE300 at Nexnix recently.

The AE300 was a real disappointment - the picture looked lower res than the others and it seemed to make a high pitched whining noise.

The HS10 had slightly less screendoor and less banding/fpn, but worse colours (could be fixed by cailbration, probably) than the TW100.

I couldn't really compare black levels because light control in the room wasn't good.

I'll probably end up getting a TW100 because it's much quieter than the HS10. I used to have an HS10 and I found the noise quite annoying after a while. It's a shame, because the HS10 is brilliant otherwise. It gives an excellent picture, and it has HDCP and power focus and zoom.

Anyione know where I can find info on TW100 ceiling mounts?

15. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
  16. Hugh

Hugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    Marcus,

You could get a free lmp mount if you live within 50 miles of them. They are awaiting someone to provide them with a template. I think they need your machine for a very short while so that they can take all the required measurements/vent placings.

It would be a great help to me too, if you went this way. I'm just too far away to take up this offer without lots of to-ing and fro-ing with cardboard cut-outs of the base of the TW100, but would prefer to have the lmp mount. Looks so much nicer than all the others.

17. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marcus

If the free mount does not tempt you....

Nexnix do a universal mount, I got a look at it while I was there, really well engineered piece of kit...

link to it here...

V.

18. WebLoader

WebLoader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  19. mrwhippy

mrwhippy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically I am now have the same problem of choosing between the HS10 and TW100. Does anyone know of somewhere that I can demo a TW100 (ideally alongside an HS10 at the same time), in the Salisbury / Southampton area. I have already seen a couple of demo's of the HS10 and been suitably impressed - the only minor gripe I have with the HS10 is the black level, and really want to see if the TW100 gives me any visible improvement for the extra £200, (The price of both of these units is right up to my budget limit),

Mark.

20. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    The TW100 WILL give you noticeable improved blacks compared to an (untweaked) HS10. You can improve the blacks on the HS10 with the addition of filters etc but you will then only have about half the brightness of the TW100. For what it's worth here's my take on these units

TW100

+ Quiet
    + Excellent brightness
    + Fantastic colour rendition
    +/- Short(ish) throw
    + 3yr warranty (next day replacement)
    - Potential vertical banding issues
    - Minimal screen door

HS10

+ No screen door
    + Motorised focus and zoom
    - Poor blacks
    +/- Long throw
    - Noisy
    - Brightness

plus a hundred other things like HDCP etc but these are likely to be the main deciding factors I believe

21. mrwhippy

mrwhippy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply....

My question on where I can demo a TW100 near Salisbury/Southampton is still open - any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

Mark.

22. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Does anyone know why epson say the emp range of projectors come with a 3 year warranty,when having bought an emp-tw100 you only get a 1 year warranty card to send back to them?Is this legal?

23. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Probably because the 3 year warranty thing is quite new (since about April I think) and they probably couldn't get the cards changed in the boxes. I wouldn't worry about it as warranty cards are primarily marketing devices only. All you need is your original receipt.

When I was in discussion with Epson when I had my TW100 they confirmed that new ones definitely are 3 year next day replacment warranty. Give them a cal lif you are worried.

24. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    cheers messiah,
    thanks for putting my worrying mind at rest:suicide: :suicide:

25. Hugh

Hugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    Ebury,

I thought exactly the same. Got right on to the Epson website to a live chat. They confirmed that no matter what the cards say. It definitely is a 3 year warranty.

:clap:

26. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    with the 3 year warranty,surely this must be the best bargain (!!!) in its price range.If you find a better picture i'll eat my shorts:laugh: :laugh:

27. vdeknock

vdeknock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also if you buy from PJ, Epson will still honour the warranty in Oz or UK. So no need to send back to Japan which makes the price really good.

28. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the links on ceiling mounts, guys.

Pablo, are there any problems with running the Epson from a PC?

Does it eliminate ringing around things (assuming no edge emphasis from the source) compared to component?

29. vdeknock

vdeknock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On AVS they are also saying that the TW100H is now a discontinued model in Japan and USA. Which explains the major price reduction in Japan. No talk about the new model.

30. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    FWIW, my Yamaha LPX-500 (Epson clone) arrived the day before yesterday. Spent all of last night making a screen and then played with it for about 30 mins.

I was quite simply blown away.

I'll post a proper thread about this after I've had a chance to view it a bit more.

Stunning!