Help me choose av receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Vouncelot, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Vouncelot

Vouncelot
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi to all . Need help to choose between pioneer vsx-lx303 euro and marantz sr5012 my speakers are magnat 202 front and rear also the center is magnat 252 . Iam from Europe - Greece . I appreciate any help . Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Russ_64

Russ_64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Depends what you are looking for and on your budget - these two AVR's are different levels:
    Pioneer vsx-lx303
    9.2-Channel Network AV Receiver with 9x170 watts, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, DTS Neural:X, 4K Ultra HD, HDR10, 6 HDMI ports, HDCP 2.2, Hi-Res Audio, WiFi, Bluetooth, Flareconnect, Chromecast built-in, Google Assistant.
    Marantz sr5012
    7.2 channel AV Receiver with 180 watts per channel, 4K/60 Hz full-rate pass-through, 4:4:4 color resolution, HDR, BT.2020 and Dolby Vision, 8 HDMI inputs (incl. 1 front) with full HDCP 2.2 support; 2 HDMI outputs, Analogue to HDMI conversion and SD/HD to HD/4K Upscaling, Dolby Atmos (up to 5.1.2) and DTS:X, DTS Virtual:X, Built-in Wi-Fi with 2.4GHz/5GHz dual band support; built-in Bluetooth, Built-in HEOS Wireless Multi-Room Audio Technology.

To compare to the LX303 you should be looking at SR6012 - if you need 9 channels..... e.g. 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 setups.

3. Vouncelot

Vouncelot
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 5.1 configuration so it's not about 7.2 or 9.2 it's about good sound quality reliability. I will do a 5.2.1 after I purchase one of them . Pioneer cost 800e and marantz 650e

4. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    Both receivers will give good audio reproduction, the Marantz probably having the edge on music. However the Pioneer can be considered to be a tier ahead of the Marantz, as mentioned the equivalent Marantz is the 6012.

Looking at the speakers you have then both receivers will have no trouble driving them and in truth they will prove to be the weak link in your system as both the Marantz and the Pioneer are capable of powering far better speakers and that is where I believe you will see the greatest improvement in audio quality.

5. Vouncelot

Vouncelot
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gibbsy for your great input so it's better for now to get the pioneer and later to change my speakers to something better .

6. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    I quite like Pioneer kit. I've got the rather good LX-58 blu ray player and it is certainly built like a tank. What Pioneer lack is good room EQ. Marantz and Denon models both have Audyssey XT32 room correction software onboard and that initself if well worth having. Pioneer's MCACC is not a highly regarded as Audyssey. Sorry to put that fly into the ointment but it is worth pointing out especially if you have not used room correction software before.

If you can live with the Pioneers room correction, or even not use it, then I don't think you'll be disappointed. Speakers are another discussion as that is really a budget orientated purchase and you'll get plenty of pointers on the forum.

7. Vouncelot

Vouncelot
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help I order a marantz sr7012 hope to like it fingers crossed

8. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    I'm sure you will. I like the warm Marantz sound for music and I only use a Marantz SACD player for music through either my Rega stereo amp or Lehmann headphone amp.

9. Vouncelot

Vouncelot
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Gibbsy I will write my first experience when I run the setup. If you know do I need banana plugs for my speakers?

10. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    My preference is for bare wire. However, the back of these receivers are so full of binding posts that getting a good secure tight fit by just using your fingers can prove troublesome. It was for me as I have arthritis and could not tighten them enough, the result was loosening wires caused audio problems. I decided to use banana plugs and that's solved the problem, I still use bare wire at the speaker end though.

Banana plugs are certainly more convenient if you have to pull the receiver out for whatever reason. All you need do is remove the small bung in the middle of the binding post cover, finger nails will usually do the job. Make sure the cover is fully screwed in and insert the banana plugs.

11. Vouncelot

Vouncelot
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great information thank you much obliged Gibbsy