Help me choose an upgrade path - from Klipsch to Arendal or XTZ?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I think the XTZ Spirit speakers are probably neutral, and I really think they are good speakers. I will add too that it wasn't an easy decision sending them back. As you say, the Arendals are competing at a higher - so the comparison is not necessarily fair.

About Arendal and customer service, I must say that they have been excellent to deal with. They responded quickly to my questions before I ordered the speakers, and were equally fast to help me troubleshoot once I was experiencing issues. I have no complaints what so ever.

Well, I'm not sure yet. I have been looking at a few different models:
XTZ sub 8.17 (not available in satin black atm) or Sub 10.17
SVS SB-1000 or Pro version (not sure I like the ash finish, and the other finishes would not match the black Arendals very well)

I would like to keep it near 500€.

I have looked at the Arendal 1961 1S as well. Wife likes that option - but it is a little more than I would like to spend. Especially since I am in an apartment and will not be able to fully utilize it. This is actually my biggest concern at the moment - not knowing if or how we can use a sub in the appartment. This is one reason I have included the very small 8.17 above. Which of the above would be your pick?

If you go with XTZ then pick the Edge model cause it has the more reliable amp with 5year warranty. The 8.17 has 2years. SVS and Arendal has 5years. 10.17 Edge has small cab and some port noise issue are reported when listened loud some material with deep bass. This shouldn`t be issue with you. You would use it one port open most likely, if you want the rumble feel of ported sub. Check SVS SB1000 or Pro on youtube videos so you see the finish better. Arendal 1S would offer best performance, but side firing driver which needs 10cm clearance. It`s not exactly small, one member got it week ago and her wife was angry due to size of it. :( See the picture of dual 1961 1S below and show it your wife! My money would be on SVS/Arendal.

1-jpg.1295339

Rubarbs

Standard Member
Thanks for your input Gasp! The picture helped too. I think we have that same TV-console in a different configuration so that really gives us an idea about the size of the woofer.

Wife seems most interested in going with Arendal. The price difference isn't that huge I guess. I'll have to think about it (I'm a slow spender) :)

While I'm here, maybe I could ask another two questions:

Since I will be running the 1961 monitors without a subwoofer for a little while before I decide what to get, would it be safe to send a full range signal to them or should I limit the amount of bass sent to them since they are not designed to play low bass? My guess is it will be fine since they will not play the lowest notes anyway (might be a stupid question, but I'm here to learn).

The 1961 monitors weigh a little less than 8kg (if I remember correctly), would it be safe to wall mount these on drywall using hollow wall anchors such as a molly bolt? I tried hanging one of the monitors on a molly bolt that was already in the wall and it stayed up there. I wonder if it would be safe over time?

Patrik72

Standard Member
The Arendal 1961 1S would probably make a perfect match for you then. The sub is really slim and the perspective in the picture makes them look a lot wider than they actually are. If you have a go on the 1961 1S and as you are in a flat, I cannot see that you would have a better integration with a different sub. If you had a villa and the space for it would have recommended you to also consider the 1961 1V. We have the 1961 Monitor, Center and 1S in our weekend home and they are perfect there in a room of about 30m2.

The crossover frequency if not using a sub could be set to either full or something like 50-60 Hz as they have a rather gentle drop after 70-isch Hz.

Rubarbs

Standard Member
The Arendal 1961 1S would probably make a perfect match for you then. The sub is really slim and the perspective in the picture makes them look a lot wider than they actually are. If you have a go on the 1961 1S and as you are in a flat, I cannot see that you would have a better integration with a different sub. If you had a villa and the space for it would have recommended you to also consider the 1961 1V. We have the 1961 Monitor, Center and 1S in our weekend home and they are perfect there in a room of about 30m2.

The crossover frequency if not using a sub could be set to either full or something like 50-60 Hz as they have a rather gentle drop after 70-isch Hz.
It would definitely be nice having the 1961 1S as it would match the front speakers nicely. We'll see if the cheapskate in me can be put aside or not :)

concentus7

I know I'm late, but I'm also curious on your final thoughts of the Arendal 1961's once you receive your replacements.

I would also echo everyone else's recommendation on going with at least one 1961 Sub 1S. The wonderful thing about Arendal's subs is that they can be set up in a variety of different ways. If you need to make your sub output more subtle just to fill out your bottom end, the Sub 1S can definitely do that with it's myriad of settings and filters.

Rubarbs

Standard Member
I know I'm late, but I'm also curious on your final thoughts of the Arendal 1961's once you receive your replacements.

I would also echo everyone else's recommendation on going with at least one 1961 Sub 1S. The wonderful thing about Arendal's subs is that they can be set up in a variety of different ways. If you need to make your sub output more subtle just to fill out your bottom end, the Sub 1S can definitely do that with it's myriad of settings and filters.
I recieved the new pair shortly after I last wrote here. I have tried them out for a while, and I think I like them. We watched Raya and the Last Dragon the other day, and even though we do not have a subwoofer yet my wife and I both felt the sound was enjoyable. I'm sure a good sub will add a lot. I will post a proper update on my final thoughts once we have tested them with a sub.

Just for fun, here's one of the monitors next to the Klipsch speakers they are supposed to replace. There is a slight size difference :)
20210526_171748.jpg

Deciding on a sub is a bit more difficult than I imagined. Mostly because I am hesitant to up my budget. Original budget for sub was around 5000 SEK (ca 500€). If price wasn't an issue the Arendal 1961 Sub 1s would be my first choice. But it is a bit more than I planned originally.

Right now, I have eliminated the SVS SB-1000 (I think), mainly because of finish options and that the store selling them in Sweden do not seem to offer a good return policy should I not be happy with it. I am considering three options at the moment: XTZ Spirit Sub 12 (ca 400€), XTZ 10.17 edge (ca 650€) or Arendal 1961 1S (799€). Hoping to decide this week.

Any reason to avoid the spirit sub 12? The price is certainly attractive.

Best,
Rubarbs

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
With XTZ you should opt for the Edge due to more reliable amp and usually 12.17 Edge model is recommended. Have you checked there isn´t any gloss black SVS SB1000 ex-display/ex-demo if that looks better than the black oak? Some dealers might have them on sale due to new SB1000 Pro model anyway. But if the price goes too close to Arendal then probably better to get the 1961 1S. I thought you were after something not too crazy due to apartment/neighbours? As long as you can place the sub optimally it would be hard to imagine you not being happy (SVS) as you probably haven`t heard that level product earlier. If just thinking long term buy the best you can afford. You won´t regret it as if saving little bit and the hunger you get from this hobby, you could end up sooner in the upgrade train. The feedback is very strong on the 1961 1S as people use those in dedicated cinema rooms even so think it through and check the SVS deals with the gloss finish if that works better..

Rubarbs

Standard Member
With XTZ you should opt for the Edge due to more reliable amp and usually 12.17 Edge model is recommended. Have you checked there isn´t any gloss black SVS SB1000 ex-display/ex-demo if that looks better than the black oak? Some dealers might have them on sale due to new SB1000 Pro model anyway. But if the price goes too close to Arendal then probably better to get the 1961 1S. I thought you were after something not too crazy due to apartment/neighbours? As long as you can place the sub optimally it would be hard to imagine you not being happy (SVS) as you probably haven`t heard that level product earlier. If just thinking long term buy the best you can afford. You won´t regret it as if saving little bit and the hunger you get from this hobby, you could end up sooner in the upgrade train. The feedback is very strong on the 1961 1S as people use those in dedicated cinema rooms even so think it through and check the SVS deals with the gloss finish if that works better..
Thanks for your input Gasp!

Yeah, the idea is to not get anything too crazy since I'm worried about using a sub in an apartment. I'm just thinking aloud I guess.

I really appreciate the input from everyone in this thread so far. I'll follow your advice and think about this another round. I'll check the other options for SVS finishes as well. If they get too close to the price of Arendal, that might still be the way to go. As Concentus7 pointed out, the different settings and filters on the Arendal might be useful.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom