Help me choose an android auto unit? (As cheap as possible, per my requirements)

Waqas Ahmed

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi

I've got a 2011 Toyota Yaris currently and it comes with a satnav built in, that's double DIN

I'm looking to get an android auto unit that supports:

• wireless android auto
  • USB charging straight from the actual android auto product
  • Have the ability to attach a reversing camera into it
  • DAB/DAB+ radio functionality
  • As cheap as possible

Would this be something that fits the bill? Would I need anything extra? Including fascias, dab aerials etc.

Kenwood DMX5020DABS | Car Audio Direct

Or maybe that's not what I need? I don't mind what brand it is, as long as it meets my requirements tbh. I intend to use TomTom Go given I have a subscription for it, and I'll hopefully sell off my actual TomTom physical sat nav

Any help would be appreciated

I have a JVC product, similar but lower spec. It doesn't do wireless Android Auto (I think you still have to pay ~£1k for that?). It's basically a Kenwood unit but works fine and does all what you listed bar wireless AA, it has to be wired. There are lots of Chinese copy Android units on ebay, that'd probably be your only way to a cheaper one unless you find something in the sales.

I have a JVC product, similar but lower spec. It doesn't do wireless Android Auto (I think you still have to pay ~£1k for that?). It's basically a Kenwood unit but works fine and does all what you listed bar wireless AA, it has to be wired. There are lots of Chinese copy Android units on ebay, that'd probably be your only way to a cheaper one unless you find something in the sales.
Thanks

How about a DMX8020DABS? Can your JVC do similar to that?

I'd rather not buy some random Chinese brand

I have that Kenwood unit in my Rav4. It does everything you have listed, in fact it will take front and rear camera AND a Kenwood Dashcam all at the same time.

Excellent unit, however, not the cheapest, but you can't ask for all that and get it cheap, unless you get a cheapo Chinese unbranded or unknown brand.

In this case, its the good old saying "you get what you pay for"

Thanks

How about a DMX8020DABS? Can your JVC do similar to that?

I'd rather not buy some random Chinese brand
All but wireless AA, it wasn't common when mine was made a few years ago. JVC KW-M745DBT | Car Audio Direct
It's a bit unreliable sometimes and charging is slow so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it anyway.

As above, I think you'll have to look around the car stereo supplier websites to find anything cheaper than the one you mentioned.

I have that Kenwood unit in my Rav4. It does everything you have listed, in fact it will take front and rear camera AND a Kenwood Dashcam all at the same time.

Excellent unit, however, not the cheapest, but you can't ask for all that and get it cheap, unless you get a cheapo Chinese unbranded or unknown brand.

In this case, its the good old saying "you get what you pay for"
Thanks

Define a price will help

However how about £99
Amazon product ASIN B09J2M9769
Search on YouTube for a guy called SAAB UNLEASHED, he has changed my whole perception on buying Chinese head units. Some Chinese makers who we have not heard of in the UK are huge and are so confident of their products, are now selling them on Amazon. Next time I change my head unit, I'll probably go for one of his recommendations.

Search on YouTube for a guy called SAAB UNLEASHED, he has changed my whole perception on buying Chinese head units. Some Chinese makers who we have not heard of in the UK are huge and are so confident of their products, are now selling them on Amazon. Next time I change my head unit, I'll probably go for one of his recommendations.
Interesting, will have a look out of curiosity.

One of his vids -

Last edited:
And I am now aware that a Android Head Unit is different (better and more flexible and can load all the same apps that your android phone has) from say a Kenwood Head Unit which is compatible with Android Auto, which only takes the Android Auto apps !!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom