Help Me Choose A Widescreen TV

mleonard79

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First time poster here and not exactly techie minded so be gentle! I've been thinking of getting new tvs for the living room and bedroom for some time (we've currently got 2 good old-fashioned Toshiba CRTs that have lasted over 10 years!) I initially thought of splashing out on LCD but after a bit of research I think the market's a bit volatile and the quality of some questionable. So I've decided to look for good widescreen CRTs instead.

I'm hoping to get a good 32" widescreen CRT for the living room and maybe the same or a 28" for the bedroom and don't want to spend more than £300-400 at most for each. I'm just looking for tvs to tide us over til the LCDs come down in price in a couple of years. From looking on price comparision sites and ebay I've seen some 32" and 28" sets ranging from £140 to just over £300. As some are probably reasonably old sets I can't find any reviews on them and was hoping the tv experts on here could have a look at them and give your opinions on which is the best in terms of quality and value for money. Some come without a stand but I can always pick up one cheaply. Of course if anyone has seen any better sets or prices please post them!

1 28 INCH HITACHI WIDESCREEN TV C28WF5605

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....00011382433&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

This works out at £139.99 but without a stand so I'd need to add a bit for that. It seems a very good price for what looks like a nice tv but I don't know how old a model it is and what the quality's like.

2 Toshiba 28Z53B 28" Flat Widescreen TV

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....00010469247&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

This works out at £149.98 again without a stand. As it's a toshiba I have less worries about the quality but again couldn't find much out about this set

3 Philips 32PW6518 32" Pure Flat Widescreen TV

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/sto...u=491520&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null

This works out at £166.99 which is an amazing price for a 32"!! I'm just a bit worried dixons may be a very old model that they're just trying to offload as I can't see why its so cheap!

4 TOSHIBA 28Z47 WIDESCREEN TV + STAND

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....80011203583&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

This works out at £229.98 with stand included. Again its a toshiba but is there enough of a difference between it and the 28Z53B to be worth the extra £80?

5 Philips 32PW6517 32" Widescreen TV with FREE DELIVERY!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....50016511164&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

This works out at £259.99 without stand and seems a good price for a 32"

6 TOSHIBA 28YT56 - 28" FREEVIEW TV & DVD RECORDER OFFER

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....30012770921&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

This works out at £239.98 all in (obviously having Sky I don't need the freeview part but I thought since it has this it must be a more recent model and may therefore have better picture etc I also don't need the dvd recorder but don't need to take it)

7 *TOSHIBA 32YT56 - 32" FREEVIEW TV / FANTASTIC PICTURE*

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....60014088199&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

This works out at £364.97 with stand - seems a good price for what is obviously a reasonably new model but are the new features it may have worth it?

Please let me know what you think and if anyone has any of the sets what are they like!! Thanks a lot for any advice.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Philips 32PW6518 32" Pure Flat Widescreen TV

I have the 24 inch model of this set, it has a very good picture & sound.
I am really pleased with it.

If you can get the 32 inch set for the price you mention I would say go for it.
What a bargain!!!!

You wont be disappointed,:thumbsup:

Hi Gario,
Thanks for your reply. Yeah I was thinking that's a crazy price and that there must be some reason why its so low!! Always the cynic. Is it quite an old model? I don't really care if it is - a good picture and widescreen is all I'm really after as I'll be upgrading to LCD in a couple of years anyway. I think I may go for it initially and see how it goes before buying one for the other rooms. Any other opinions welcome! Thanks.

Michelle

mleonard79 said:
Hi Gario,
Thanks for your reply. Yeah I was thinking that's a crazy price and that there must be some reason why its so low!! Always the cynic. Is it quite an old model? I don't really care if it is - a good picture and widescreen is all I'm really after as I'll be upgrading to LCD in a couple of years anyway. I think I may go for it initially and see how it goes before buying one for the other rooms. Any other opinions welcome! Thanks.

Michelle

I dont really know what you mean by "old Model" my 24inch set was bought about 1 year ago.
I use this set in my bedroom.

When I was looking for a 32 inch set for my lounge I remember seeing the set that you mention in Comet, this was about 18 months ago.

So I would say that yes it is an old model, but not that old.

Good luck

Hi Gario,

Oh I'm not sure what I mean by it either now that I think about it - its not like shops ever sell models more than a couple of years old! I was just trying to find a reason for it being so cheap but since I can't think I'll go for it:smashin:

Michelle

Well went to order the tv last night and I'd nearly put it through when I thought I'd have a look for some discount codes as I'm buying from dixons. I found the discount codes this morning and went to put it through and now its out of stock- sods law! So will need to go back and think again :mad:

Michelle

Might be worth trying to order it every so often.

When I tried to order my LG LCD from dixons it keep on telling me it was out of stock, I kept trying every couple of hours and eventually it was in stock. :thumbsup:

Also if you order with a Egg card you get 10% cashback from dixons.co.uk

Hope this helps

Renko

Hi Renko,

Yeah I did just that, have been trying throughout the day and lo and behold it popped up as in stock just there so have now ordered it:smashin: The 10% off with egg card would have been good but I don't have one, I did use a ÂŁ20 off code though so happy with that. Thanks.

Michelle

mleonard79 said:
Hi Renko,

Yeah I did just that, have been trying throughout the day and lo and behold it popped up as in stock just there so have now ordered it:smashin: The 10% off with egg card would have been good but I don't have one, I did use a ÂŁ20 off code though so happy with that. Thanks.

Michelle

Well done you :clap:

You have got one hell of a deal there, it's a lot of telly for a very good price.

Enjoy:)

need to let me know if the phillps tv arrives mate. i done the same thing last thursday and was then told on saturday order cancelled as no stock and no more coming in. if it does arrive dixons are going to get a hell of an ear bashing from me!

Hi everyone,

Ok I'm very annoyed now. Just checked my email and got an email from dixons saying

Unfortunately, we have been unable to process your order as one or more of
the products you have ordered is now out of stock.

Please contact our telesales advisors who will help you choose an alternative product. Alternatively you can visit our website at http://www.dixons.co.uk to browse for a substitute product

I don't want an alternative product - I want the one they said was in stock last night :mad:

Well I phoned them up and the guy just went on about there being a disclaimer on the website and they can't guarantee anything. He said that since the order's been cancelled that means it won't be in for at least 5 working days so there's no point in checking til after then but if what you're saying is right bobbert & sammy then there's no way I'm going to get it now :mad: Seems I've missed the boat. Ok back to square one looking for a good cheap 32" widescreen TV - anyone any other ideas?! lol

Oh billythestickboy - the ÂŁ20 code is ÂŁ20 off when you spend ÂŁ200 and its perkz20dix. Thanks everyone.

thanks Michelle

there seem to be lots of CRTs going second hand on the For Sale bit of the forum... looks like lots of expensive TVs going for under ÂŁ200 and mostly only a couple of years old... not sure how much difference age/wear makes to CRTs?

well if they're anything like the one I've had for 10+ years I don't think age makes too much difference - crt's seem to be pretty durable. Of course I have heard that the newer ones are not made quite as well as they used to be when only crt's were being made but I wouldn't mind if it was second hand so long as there wasn't faults or horrendous marks or something!! I'll just need to get back to looking for one tomorrow - still annoyed at that dixons one though, seemed perfect!:mad:

well my order has now been sitting in stock update for 1 whole week. still dont know whats happening with my order.

Hi sammy,

Let me know how you get on with it. I may keep trying to order it and see what happens but am on the lookout for any other good deals now too as I'm not hopeful about that one.:mad:

BOBBERTANDSAMMY said:
well my order has now been sitting in stock update for 1 whole week. still dont know whats happening with my order.

Ordered mine on the 31st July and yesterday the status changed from 'Stock Query' to 'Order received'.

But I am not to hopeful.:(

Renko

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom