Help me choose a PVR

S

smokey380

Hi I'm looking for a PVR and abit over whelmed by the choice so wondered if any one could help.

I don't really want to spend much more then £150 if possible, and would like it to have the following:
be nice and quiet
Freeview
a hard drive (160gb bit smaller wouldn't be a problem)
HDMI output socket

A usb socket or some way to transfere recorded content off the hard drive would be a bonus but no at all essential.

Any help any one can offer would be great.

Thanks

ste66

Novice Member
Take a look at the Sagem DTR67250T
It has what you are looking for, inc USB, optical outputs and 250Gb for about £126. I've had one for 6 months and it has been reliable, quiet, low power consumption and picture quality is very good but the only minor problem is a grey line flickers on the screen for a split second every 10 minutes or so during playback.

ste66

Novice Member
I should have mentioned, there is a 160gb model for under £100. Its otherwise identical in spec apart from the HDMI (and for freeview you don't need HDMI unless you have run out of rgb scart or component sockets on your tv, don't get taken in by upscaling, all HD tvs have an upscaler built-in).

S

smokey380

Ok that's interesting. So no need for HD upscaling on the PVR is that the sae for DVD players?

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Ok that's interesting. So no need for HD upscaling on the PVR is that the sae for DVD players?

Depends on the player. Top end models can have very good scalers like the Denon range. My Denon 1020 has a better scaler than my Sony 40" LCD TV. Surprisingly my cheapish blue ray Sony BDPS350 makes SD DVD's look amazing at 1080p. DVD's don't have the bit rate limitations of broadcast sources so are a better source for a good scaler. El cheapo players are likely not be worth bothering with upscalers

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom