Help me choose a Pioneer 43" please

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Jon12345, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Jon12345

Jon12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I want to order a Pioneer 43" plasma and just don't know which model to go for. Primarily I will be using it with SKY+ HD, will probably get an Xbox360 and want to get a home theatre system too.

Which model would you recommend?

Thanks,

Jon

2. jackal

jackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you plan to wall mount? If so go for the 436XDE as it has an external media box (i.e. less cables to hide)

You don't need the freeview tuner, but this model has 2 HDMI in. The FDE has 1 HDMI and analogue tuner (=> cheaper) but also has separate media box.

If not one of the new 'body' would do (a bit cheaper) available in SXE (2X HDMI + freeview). RXE 1 HDMI No freeview.

3. Jon12345

Jon12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I don't need the freeview and don't want to wallmount. Not sure if only one HDMI has an impact if I want to use an Xbox360?

4. jackal

jackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd go for the 436RXE then.

If you get a home cinema set up you might want to go for an amp that has multiple HDMI inputs, so that you have the flexibilty to add other Hidef components in future (i.e. HD DVD BLURAY etc.).

Regards

5. Jon12345

Jon12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So, if I understand you correctly, the 436RXE is one of their newer models, with an all in one system so there is no external box, yes?

What about speakers? Should I get the side speakers?

Regarding home theatre system, I'm not sure I would want everything connected to it all the time when I'm watching stuff. Maybe just use it for films or something. Also, I'm not overly keen on having huge speakers all over my living room but I definitely want a subwoofer in there somewhere. Just thought I would add that information in there as it might change my requirements.

6. Mike Groves

Mike Groves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Both RXE & FDE(?) have media boxes - the panel is the same. RXE has two HDMI ports & several other additions, including a DTV tuner.

Get the side speakers - you may just want to watch the news or something & it would be a pain in the *** to fire up a full surround system just for that.

7. Jon12345

Jon12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Now I am confused! Mike says RXE has two HDMI ports, jakal says it has one HDMI port. :S

8. JeffD

JeffD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    The models are:

XDE - Seperate Media Box - Digital & Analogue Tuner - 2 HDMI
    FDE - Seperate Media Box - Analogue Tuner - 1 HDMI
    SXE - Connections built in - Digital & Analogue Tuner - 1 HDMI
    RXE - Connections built in - Analogue Tuner - 1 HDMI

Taken from http://www.pioneer.co.uk

9. jackal

jackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, Mike is incorrect - click here

10. Mike Groves

Mike Groves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
  11. Jon12345

Jon12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok, so the RXE and SXE are the new models. So for my requirements the RXE is best, but if I move to somewhere where I can't get SKY then the SXE might be the best choice? Is there much difference in price?

Thanks for the advice about side-speakers. Will definitely get them.

If I got the RXE but didn't have a home theatre system, how would I plug in the Xbox360? Would I have to unplug SKY+ since there is only one HDMI slot?

12. JeffD

JeffD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    The Xbox360 is connected via component or VGA for HD as it doesn't have a HDMI connector.

13. smiffy333

smiffy333

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    John the RXE and SXE both come with built in speakers so you don't need them/can't get them. Side speakers are only for the FDE and XDE models.

14. crash

crash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,
    I've just gone for the RXE after much debate. I already have an Ikea unit with no space left for a box and would have no intention of wall mounting. I don't envisage using Freeview as I have Sky. I am quite happy to have only 1 HDMI as I will be running my DVD through a good quality component cable and will probably use the HDMI for Sky HD should that be at a reasonable cost. My guess is that if needed I will be able to source a splitter for a reasonable cost at a later date if necessary.
    So all in all I couldn't justify the extra cost of the XDE and SXE for some later convenience (in my case).
    The price of the RXE was also sorely tempting.

Crash

15. ollie501

ollie501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

Sorry for diving in on the thread, but am asking pretty much the same questions, except...

I'm giving some serious consideration to the RXE, although it doesn't appear to have a PC VGA input. As I currently use a RS RGB-VGA box for satellite as on my current set it vastly improves picture quality.
    Does that mean this will now be unusable, or is there a way of adding a PC input to the RXE? If I have to go via scart, am I going to notice a marked drop in picture quality? Eventually I'd be looking to go for Hi-Def Sky, but that's obviously going to be some way off, especially if I fork out two grand for a new TV.

Cheers

Ollie

16. Jon12345

Jon12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That is a good point because what happens if you want to add a PC media centre to it? Do you need the aforementioned input that is missing from the RXE?

17. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jon,

After perusing the Pioneer site, I wondered if this feature, "PC In" was of interest to you. It appears to only be on the PDP-436XDE model. I quote

"Thanks to the PC Input terminal on the front of the Multimedia Receiver, it is very easy to connect a PC to the Plasma TV. Users can make an impressive business presentation or enjoy the internet by using a high-quality large screen without any complicated set-up procedures."

Perhaps it's possible to do this by another connection; I don't know enough about it.

18. JeffD

JeffD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    The PC Input on the XDE is a VGA connection, but since most modern PC graphics cards do component out, the screen only needs a component input to display the output from a PC.

19. nevsan

nevsan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am interested in these Pioneer screens - the only thing stopping me getting one (at the moment) is screen burn as I'll be using it for DVDs/PC input and gaming (Xbrick360). Will this be a major problem? Plasmas do seem to have better picture quality than LCD at the moment even when the res is 1024x768..

20. Jon12345

Jon12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok, so it seems like the RXE is the one for me since it comes with speakers, can fit an Xbox360 and I could still use a PC media centre with it if needs be.

When ordering, what else do I need to get - apart from a stand - for it to work with my existing SKY+ box? Nothing? Cables? Or can I use my current SCART cable?

Lastly, where should I order one from? Are they easily available and if so what are typical delivery times?

21. Always-hungry

Always-hungry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Had my sxe over a week now, the kids have hammered Sky with massive logo's and the 360 xbox has never looked so good. Dvd's just scream quality. Great tv and no retention "what so ever".

Cracking digital tuner, stunning connection options and best of all a happy mrs :)

Cant fault this tv in any shape or form.:thumbsup:

22. JeffD

JeffD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Your current SCART cable would probably be fine. You might be able to improve the picture quality by getting a JS Tech RGB to Component Converter and use the component in, however the RXE has only the one component input so that would now be tied up.

If you also plan to get an AV Amp then you could look at getting one that does Component Video switching so all sources can be connected to that, then one Component lead fead up to the plasma. You also use a Scaler for video switching and improved picture quality but that would add a lot of additional expense.

23. crash

crash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon,
    I'm getting mine from Soundandvision. The price is virtually the cheapest but they also offer Buy now pay later and they have current stock.

Crash

24. Jon12345

Jon12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Crash, any idea on their delivery timetable?

25. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon, bear in mind that the RXE only has an analogue tuner and switch off for analogue is 2008 in Wales and the West Country. In case you should ever move to that part of the world and your Sky wasn't available or not working, it would be inconvenient to say the least!

The SXE has Freeview and Analogue.

Take on board too John Lewis's five year guarantee and excellent customer service if you have a faulty plasma. They charge more but Dixons and others charge about £500 for this. If you're persistent you can get price matching at JL.

26. Jon12345

Jon12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    In the unlikely event of that happening, it would be easy to just get a freeview box.

27. crash

crash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon,
    I'm told it 5 - 7 days once the order is placed / finance agreed etc. I think there's less demand for the RXE anyway so that should improve your chances of a quick delivery.

28. Baz80

Baz80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have the SXE it is great but there are a couple of things to be aware of an Xbox 360 does fantastic picture through component but no sound you can connect the red and white audio leads through the front audio connections but they either don't reach or look crap and your xbox has to sit almost in front of the picture (the rear audio connections are out only). So i have connected it through the optical cable and my home cinema system a humble pioneer dcs 333 and the difference is staggering.

i went for the sxe because my girlfriend watches an inordinant amount of footie and if she uses Sky+ to tape two european matches at once she can then use freeview to watch the match on ITV4 i kid you not.

i previously had a panasonic pe30 which looked fantastic and gave a great picture but the larger SXE does beat it in terms of picture quality. i intend to get sky HD whenever it finally comes out and thats where my HDMI connection is going and why i seriously looked at the XDE but the convienance and smaller scale (no side speakers) of the SXE won out.

as for screen burn or the more likely retention i've had none of that its been a joy to use so far and i cant wait for sky HD to begin broadcasting in earnest.

Oh last thing the ease of using the input 1/2/3/4 buttons on the remote are a joy as compared to my old Panasonic press tv/av and then select colour to indicate preference. Its the small things that make life great

29. Always-hungry

Always-hungry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    :smashin:

30. mng70

mng70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I placed an order with Sound and Vision on Sunday night and it should be delivered tomorrow!!! I can't wait