Help me choose a new sub(s)

Pulsar

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

After quite a big system change around, I am currently sub-less and looking. Here is the system it is going to be used in:

Denon 3805
Fronts: Quad 11L
Centre: Gallo A'diva
Rears: Gallo Micro's

I may change the A'diva to a Quad L series centre at some point, but not for a little while. The room I am using is about 14 feet by 10 feet, and is now dedicated to HT. :clap:

I am not looking to spend a load of cash on a sub, as the rest of the system doesn't truely justify it at this point. So far I have thought of the following:

* 2 Velodyne CHT-R 10's
* 2 BL XLS200's
* BK monolith
* Servo 15

I like the idea of using a pair of subs, as I can try to obtain a more even output from them by moving each of them around the room, although I know that this can make setup quite difficult and lengthy.

So I am asking you guys for any valuable info you can give on the subs listed above, especialy on using the dual subs and how they compare. I am also open to suggestions of other subs.

Cheers

Rob

If you are looking for a servo 15 Chris maybe selling one for around £400,the thread is on the wanted section.He just sold the other + X30 for £430.I have bought from chris in the past and his gear is OK.

I would have thought that of the subs you mention as long as you are willing to buy second hand,the servo would give the most bang for the buck.And it would cost around the same as the other options you mention.You could consider an SVS PB10-ISD as another option at around £430 imported all in.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247994

Pairs of subs if setup correctly will give more depth, more headroom and reduce distortion but pairs of entry level subs like the Velodyne and XLS200 that you have listed will still come nowhere near the effectiveness of a single Monolith or Servo 15 as they are both in a different league.

For many people it would come down to a choice between outright performance and size but you are a bit different as you have already tasted the delights of supersubbery and only you will know whether you would now be happy with the inferior performance that the Velodyne or XLS200 would give you

Hi kbfern,

Thanks for the heads-up on the servo 15, that is a real possibility.

Ian,

Having never heard a BK XLS200 or CHT-R sub, I wasn't sure what to expect at all. I have heard a dual servo 15 setup in a large lounge room, and I thought they performed well. My only complaint would be that the bass sounded a little slow (out of time) but that is being quite picky.

As you say, I used to own a Velodyne DD15, which most would consider a top class sub. I thought that the sub was nice, but I couldn't justify its cost with respect to the rest of my system. I don't think I am a bass connoisseur like some and I am more bothered about respectable depth and timing than massive volume. Whether this is something I can achieve for around £700 is debatable.

Here is another question. Would a servo 15 perform well enough up to 80-100hz to be used with the Gallo speakers in my setup? Would I benefit from a servo 15 and say a cht-r 10 with the servo doing 20-60hz and the smaller sub doing 60-80/100? I know that this is going to be a bitch to setup, but I plan to use my PC with some real time FR software to help me out.

Thanks.

Rob

Me again,

I am just looking on the SVS website, and recognise a few names of subs on there. I know that this question has been asked a hundred time before, but can someone (Ian?) just let me know a rough way to work out the 'to the door' price of a SVS sub? At the moment I am thinking a $799 sub would be about £700 all in. How far off am I?

Cheers

Rob

I recently ordered a PB12-ISD/V from SVS ($699).

Ordered on a Thursday, delivered to my home address the following Thursday!

Total cost door to door was £605 inc shipping, customs, handling charge etc.

Pulsar said:
can someone (Ian?) just let me know a rough way to work out the 'to the door' price of a SVS sub?

The new UK distributor will be making an announcement later on this morning so I guess that all SVS subs will be UK bought from now on.

guccismith said:
I recently ordered a PB12-ISD/V from SVS ($699).

Ordered on a Thursday, delivered to my home address the following Thursday!

Total cost door to door was £605 inc shipping, customs, handling charge etc.

That is fast! Thanks for the price information.

Cheers

Rob

Ian J said:
The new UK distributor will be making an announcement later on this morning so I guess that all SVS subs will be UK bought from now on.

Aha, do we know who this new distributor is?

Pulsar

Cost of sub depends on which model you are thinking of,box subs are more to ship.

I think that the UK distributor is only stocking some of the range of box subs,and I thought that the rest of the higher end box + the cylinder range would be purchased from SVS USA.

Cost of the sub would be whatever SVS show on their website +$150-$225 shipping(depending on which model sub you choose) then convert to UK £,then add around 23% to allow for import duty and vat.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom