Help Me Choose a New AV Receiver

be11aml

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am about to upgrade my amp from a RX-V365 to something that does HD sound over hdmi (in fact sound over HDMI at all!), but hdmi pass through in standby is essential. My wife wants nothing to do with av equipment, so during the day, the amp has to just sit there on standby and not cause any fuss.

Here are the requirements
Cost less than £300 (much less if possible)

4 hdmi inputs
iPod/iPhone dock connection
Hdmi pass through on standby
I will be connecting ps3, Sony blu ray and freeview hd recorder, by HDMI

As I said, the amp will not be used for sound when its just the kids etc. But when I go to watch a movie or play on the PS3, I want the capability.

Here is the main issue, the Freeview Recorder does not have CEC, so I am guessing I need a system that does passthrough on the last input, but that can auto switch when a DVD is started. Then go back when the DVD is turned off. Is this even possible?

I have considered:
Sony STR-DH810 (good price at the moment)
Yamaha RX-V371 (not clear if this does pass through)
Pioneer VSX-421/521

Has anyone got a similar setup and got pass through working well. I have found many many problems on the forum!

Thanks

What you want I do not think exists and that is auto passthrough. I think the cheapest reciever that has the ability to switch between sources in standby is the Yamaha 667 (or now 671). If you can still find the 667 then these are around £300 but the 671 is a fair bit more. But this still requires the person to select the input as it is changed (it will not do it automatically). If the cheaper recievers you have been looking at do passthrough it will only be the last selected source and will not be switchable when the reciever is on standby.
Why no get a Logitech Harmony remote. This allows one button switch on of all equipment and one button switching between sources. It is no harder to ue than a normal TV remote. This would get around the whole passthrough issue since you could use the amp and speakers for all viewing. They are easy to set up and even easier to use (even my technophobic mum and 4 year old son can use mine). All she needs to do is be a little open minded and give it a go.

Yamaha RXV667 Black | AV Receiver | Richer Sounds

Click the "Check Availability" button on the right of the price
Still have plenty left dotted around the country.
Worth a 50 Mile or so round trip to pick one up if you can.
You might be able to pick a display model for less ( I paid £270 for mine last month from RS)
Yamaha receivers also come with 2yr warranty as standard do no need to buy the supercare (I did though)

Agree with the Harmony as well.
I use Harmonys in all my rooms even my kids can operate a complicated system when the come to stay.

Thanks for you comments, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I was thinking that it was a big ask!

Looking at the onkyo txnr509 manual, it seems to suggest that there is both auto and last pass through options. Can anyone comment on this system?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom