• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Help me choose a new 65" tv

disco74

Hi Guys
My Sony KD65X8509C looks like it is going to be replaced via John Lewis(panel degraded).
Could you help me choose between these possible replacements:
Panasonic TX65EX750B
SONY KD65XE9005
SONY KD65XE9305
SAMSUNG UE65MU8000
LG 65SJ850V
or I could drop size to 55" and get an LG OLED55B7N

I use it mostly for gaming, netflix and movies in a dark room

disco74

I can go to £2500. It will be this month. Just waiting for John Lewis to authorize the exchange.

Dodgexander

Well, a few months/weeks ago I could have recommend the 65"LG B/C6 models but they have pretty much all sold out now. Of course all the 2017 models are priced highly right now so they don't really represent good value. I'm sure the new models will also get discounted eventually.

That aside the Sony XE93 is the best tv on your list, the LG B7 is arguably better but I don't think it's worth downsizing, unless it's flexible where you view from as at least then you could view closer to make up for it.

disco74

Lol yeah the 9305 is the one I'm leaning towards just not sure about the edge lit led.

Dodgexander

It may be edge lit but it's HDR capabilities are on par with FALD LCDs, if not better. Not on par with the zd9 but definitely similar in performance to last year's Samsung KS9500 and Panasonic DX902. It performs better than the direct lit XE90, which surprised me and the reviewers here on avf.

disco74

but what about the issue with black bars? is it really that bad?

Dodgexander

No, it's not and if noticeable it's only because the tv gets so bright with HDR. FALD tv's have haloing with HDR by comparison so there's always a downside.

No tv is perfect..unless you can afford the ZD9.

But by all means look at they older Panasonic dx902/Samsung ks9500. If you can find stock at a good price they will likely be a lot cheaper than the xe93 for similar performance.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
65 902B or OLED (both last years stock) for 65 inches.

Otherwise as Dodgeaxnder said^^

disco74

John Lewis don't seem to have the older ones. I think you have sold me on the 9305 now anyway

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom