Question Help me choose a new 2 in 1 laptop.

IIvividsightII

Novice Member
Hi everyone,

I'm off to university next year to start my computer science course. I do currently have a laptop which I purchased around 2016. It's a Lenovo Ideapad 310 with an AMD A10 chip, 8 GB of RAM, and an SSD I shoved in for extra fast performance. Now, whilst I believe this would probably get me through all the programming and day-to-day productivity I'll be doing over the next few years, I've recently started to upgrade all the cheaper items I've bought over the years into more premium, quality items. This has included most of my peripherals and components for my PC. I'm now considering replacing my laptop with a higher end one.

I have considered what I would like out of a new laptop, of which is below:
  • 2 in 1 Style (either a tablet with detachable keyboard and pen or a laptop with a 360 degrees swivel).
  • At least 8 GB of RAM
  • Smaller than a 15" screen
  • An SSD, preferable of at least 128 GB in size.
  • Touchscreen (most 2 in 1 laptops have this anyways but just to make sure).
I believe all of these things are essential for me as it means my end choice will be portable enough and powerful enough for what I'll need. Extra details of what is needed is below as the user "Iccz"'s post says the following is required for any post of this topic.
  • At least 1080p
  • Matte/glossy screen, I have no preference
  • The laptop will be used for everyday use and programming, little-to-no gaming.
  • The longer the battery, the better but I won't need a terribly long lasting one.
  • Needs to be as portable as possible.
  • I don't require an optical drive.
  • HDMI out is useful but I probably won't need it too much.
  • No preferred brand, I use Lenovo a lot and can trust them, better known brands such as Microsoft have always also been a favourite.
  • I don't use apple products, I find them overpriced, even though the quality is usually great.
  • Not specifically looking for a refurbished laptop but it's not the end of the world.
I do have a budget, but it is not set in stone. I am looking to go no further than £800 (the lower the better as long as the quality and specs keep up). I expect this will lower my choices quite a bit but that's how it usually works anyways.

I have already done quite a bit of research into my options and have picked out 5 that do probably fit my requirements the best. Any insight into these products or experiences is welcomed.

1. Surface Go (128 GB) - I'd probably have to spend more to get the keyboard and pen for this one. Not too much of a problem though as it is a lower price than the rest anyways.
2. HP Envy x360
3. Surface Pro 7 (I5, 8 GB) - Again, spending more here to get pen + keyboard.
4. Lenovo Yoga c740 14 (I5)
5. HP Pavillion x360

I understand this is a long post, so, to whoever takes their time to help me decide, thank you a lot. Of course if there are any I have not seen before that meet my requirements do say.

Cheers everyone.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Consider the Dell 7400 2 in one.
Ticks all your boxes, but is pricey new.
This one, however, is smack on price-wise and there's also another one on there with a 500GB HD, slightly more expensive.

I've owned one since June and while the face recognition (which also puts it to sleep when you walk away, if wanted) is a bit of a gimmick to me, it does work well.
Smallish size, with a big screen, considering.
Excellent battery life , goodish screen, reasonably light and very nice quality means I'm happy with mine.

zad

Hi everyone,

I'm off to university next year to start my computer science course. I do currently have a laptop which I purchased around 2016. It's a Lenovo Ideapad 310 with an AMD A10 chip, 8 GB of RAM, and an SSD I shoved in for extra fast performance. Now, whilst I believe this would probably get me through all the programming and day-to-day productivity I'll be doing over the next few years, I've recently started to upgrade all the cheaper items I've bought over the years into more premium, quality items. This has included most of my peripherals and components for my PC. I'm now considering replacing my laptop with a higher end one.

I have considered what I would like out of a new laptop, of which is below:
  • 2 in 1 Style (either a tablet with detachable keyboard and pen or a laptop with a 360 degrees swivel).
  • At least 8 GB of RAM
  • Smaller than a 15" screen
  • An SSD, preferable of at least 128 GB in size.
  • Touchscreen (most 2 in 1 laptops have this anyways but just to make sure).
I believe all of these things are essential for me as it means my end choice will be portable enough and powerful enough for what I'll need. Extra details of what is needed is below as the user "Iccz"'s post says the following is required for any post of this topic.
  • At least 1080p
  • Matte/glossy screen, I have no preference
  • The laptop will be used for everyday use and programming, little-to-no gaming.
  • The longer the battery, the better but I won't need a terribly long lasting one.
  • Needs to be as portable as possible.
  • I don't require an optical drive.
  • HDMI out is useful but I probably won't need it too much.
  • No preferred brand, I use Lenovo a lot and can trust them, better known brands such as Microsoft have always also been a favourite.
  • I don't use apple products, I find them overpriced, even though the quality is usually great.
  • Not specifically looking for a refurbished laptop but it's not the end of the world.
I do have a budget, but it is not set in stone. I am looking to go no further than £800 (the lower the better as long as the quality and specs keep up). I expect this will lower my choices quite a bit but that's how it usually works anyways.

I have already done quite a bit of research into my options and have picked out 5 that do probably fit my requirements the best. Any insight into these products or experiences is welcomed.

1. Surface Go (128 GB) - I'd probably have to spend more to get the keyboard and pen for this one. Not too much of a problem though as it is a lower price than the rest anyways.
2. HP Envy x360
3. Surface Pro 7 (I5, 8 GB) - Again, spending more here to get pen + keyboard.
4. Lenovo Yoga c740 14 (I5)
5. HP Pavillion x360

I understand this is a long post, so, to whoever takes their time to help me decide, thank you a lot. Of course if there are any I have not seen before that meet my requirements do say.

Cheers everyone.

what did you go for?

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I hope it wasn't the Dell that I recommended.
I really don't know what's happened, but mine is now running 100c on all cores, with the bottom of the laptop really hot, like 50c+ when playing Candy Crush!
And it seems this problem is not rare.
It's always been warm and I thought a Bios update would easily fix this, but now I suspect this is an inbuilt problem that can't be fixed.
I've had to resort to the "throttlestop" program to slow it down to acceptable heat levels.

Lovely laptop, junk implentation, it seems.
The RRP of this scares me, looking back (£1500-£1800+).
Good job I got it at a third of the price.

lowmans100

Bought my daughter the Lenovo C740 i7 15" in mica for her 18th to use when she goes to University, she specifically wanted the larger screen and would have had a 17" if they did one. With student discount it was cheaper than both the i7 14" and i5 15" in your link.

It's a solid laptop, and is far more than she will ever need but hopefully she will take care of it and it will see her through the whole of her time in higher education. At the moment it's used mostly for Netflix, Disney+ and Sims4!

I don't like the mica colour keyboard because you can't see the letters without the backlight on, much prefer dark keys. I prefer the Thinkpad style keyboard as it feels a bit more solid to me, saying that the keyboard still has a good feel to it. The touchscreen and pen works well, I prefer my SP4 pen as it has the eraser on top of it which is more natural and it sticks to the side of the SP4 rather than having a plastic pen holder dohickey that goes into the USB slot.

I don't think you will go wrong with any of your choices, internals aside, for me the most important bits are the quality of the screen and keyboard as these are the two parts that you interface with.

zad

I managed to get an Lenovo C640 i5 gen 10 for £560 from Lenovo education store. It’s not for me
It’s for one of the kids going to college come September fingers crossed.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom