1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me choose a matching receiver for B&W 309/303/3 speaker set

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by VVA, Sep 23, 2004.

1. VVA

VVA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am starting with a music/surround package and decided to go with speakers first. After a whole day of listening to speakers within my budget I decided to go with the B&W 309/303/3 combination and later on next year I will reconsider adding a sub.

The whole testing was done with a Onkyo 501E and finally it got all well with the Onkyo 601E. But of course as always there is curiosity and there are other receivers to consider, once I have firmly decided on the speakers.

Do you have any comments on this combination any maybe can suggest some other receivers. These are the options I thought of and that I am able to find round here:

1. Onkyo TX-SR601E (585EUR)
    2. Yamaha RX-V650RDS (405EUR)
    3. Denon 1803 (495EUR)
    4. Sherwook 8108 (450EUR)
    5. Pioneer ??
    6. Harman Kardon??
    7. Sony ??
    8. Technics DA-10

The problem is that I AM NOT ABLE to test the other options, since they are not available in the same store! I have already done technical comparisons, and can make a choice based on it, but I don't believe in such choices, I'd rather base discussions round musical comparisons.

And finally, most important thing - I will use this for 70% music (CDs, MP3s), 29% movies (DVD, DiVX) and 1% radio. And my taste revolves arround Mike Oldfield, Vangelis, Jean-Michel Jarre, Enya, but also Hallucinogen, Shpongle, Infected Mushroom, Orbital, and mostly trance.

Thanks in advance. Any help will be welcomed.

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi VVA,
    Sorry to say this but it may be a mistake looking to match a system to some speakers.
    As music seems to be the most important thing, you need to look at getting a good source and amplification. Speakers would be last on my list.
    For that kind of music i'd look second hand and go for something like:
    Cheap DVD player and Decent DAC, There are an awful lot of threads about the benefits of doing things this way.
    A decent 5.1 AV amp, I don't know a great deal about them so i'll let someone else advise you.
    Tuner I would suggest Pure DRX 701ES. Great value and pretty unbeatable.
    Speakers would be JMLAB Chorus or Monitor Audio Silver Series. I have nothing against B&W but they are not the most neutral speaker in the world (By this I mean they add to the music - a speaker should let the signal from the source and amps flow through and not 'colour' the sound at all) Not as important with Video but music you want it right.
    Of course this is all my own opinion.....
    HTH

3. VVA

VVA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, in fact this is after five rounds of testing various equipment until I found something that sounded right to me -> Onkyo 601 + B&W 309. And it is 200EUR over my budget. Still I was very satisfied with it. But, I can't help it, I still wonder if there might be some other combination which I was not able to test, which might work better. All the other I was able to test here were based on sub-standard speakers and better av receivers. (we don't have much of a choice round here:)

As for neutral speakers, I have some active monitor speakers at the studio that are too neutral for me to be able to listen to music and watch movies and still have fun, not be bothered by not so perfect production. Plus they are in the studio, not in my living room :)