1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me choose a fanless Graphics card

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mikearv, Oct 31, 2004.

1. mikearv

mikearv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to upgrade my current 9600SE, which only cost around £35 I think. It was the cheapest card I could find with a DVI. I'm upgrading my system, and my display and would like to upgrade the graphics card, the first major criteria is that IT MUST BE HEATSINKED and have no fan, I'm on a mission to elimate all noise. I'm not really a PC gamer, but might dabble in the future. 2D quality is very-important, I'll be using sweetspot to accept RGB sources and TheaterTek for DVD aswell. It's likely too that I'll be using a huge 1900x1200 DVI LCD display soon. So I'm unsure whether my current 35 quid card will be good enough.

I don't really follow the GPU sector, so I'm slightly unsure what to get, or what will suit my requirements without going overboard. I know your graphics card has a massive effect on games playing/frames etc, but I'm unsure how they compare on 2D and DVD playback, how much does the quality of graphics card you get effect the colour, sharpness, smoothness??. Out of all the cards I've had over the years. I can't say I've noticed much difference between these things on my DVI display. I've had a Ti4200, a 9200SE and a 9600SE with this current monitor.

Should I be looking at ATI or Nvidia chipsets for my HTPC?

Willing to spend up to approx £200, but don't want to waste money by just getting a few extras FPS in games that I don't really play. I do though, want to get the best 2D,Color quality possible and best DVD/MPEG2 playback possible.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The general 'buzz' on AVS is the nVidia 6XXX series, with the 6600GT probably being the 'best' for HTPC work with on-board post-processing and WMV acceleration .. that latter was broken on 6800s .. currently the 6600 is only available in PCI-e form but an AGP version is supposedly out very soon.

I've only seen one fanless 6800 and that's not the 'GT' variant which is the one mostly being used it seems.

That said, your 9600 won't be bettered by any later ATIs PQ-wise unless you want to get into post-processing using FFDSHOW, where you'll start to want a LOT of GPU and CPU power pretty quickly. TheaterkTek 2 of course uses the nVidia decoders but these work fine on Radeons.

There's a huge thread on AVS about the 6800s and a somewhat smaller one about the 6600 you may find interesting.

HTH

BTW, I use one of these in my fanless HTPC. :)

3. mikearv

mikearv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    6600GT looks interesting, round about the right price too. But no sign of them in the UK for a while it seems, considering the AGP one isn't even out in the US.

I've considered it, but it's just too HUGE!

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Mine's hidden behind a curtain. :D

As for the 6600, it is a pain that the AGP version isn't out yet I agree, OTOH I think it'll be worth waiting for. Why not just keep the card you have and see if/when it starts to creek in your new setup and see what the situation is when it does?

Failing that then I guess it's either that 6800 or an ATI 9800 Pro, I really don't see the point going for an 'X' series for an HTPC.

5. dalepearson

dalepearson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That's the one I have too :) .. not sure how much 'better' it is than the SE Mike already has.