1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me choose a DVD player £300-£400

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Orbital, May 23, 2004.

1. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

I've been using a HCPC since I bought my CRT projector (about 3 years) with great results but because of the pain a HCPC can be and the fact that my wife could never really get on with it I have now gone back to using a DVD player along with an Iscan Ultra. I was initially dreading going back to a DVD player because the picture quality from my HCPC was pretty special, but I can honestly say hand on heart that the small step down in picture quality is greatly outweighed with the joy that is "just slapping a disc in and hitting play".

Anyway I'm rambling here, the main crux of my question is this. To just get me up and running in the DVD player stakes again I went a bought a cheap and cheerful Toshiba SD330, which I must admit gave an excellent picture connected via component out to the Iscan. Unfortunately after a grand total of 4 weeks the Tosh has given up the ghost and died on me. I have since had my money back for the Tosh as the supplier didn't have any more in so I am now in need of a new DVD player. The build quality of the Tosh was lacking to say the least, very flimsy and with the slowest menu access I think I've ever seen. This player is built to a price point I guess and in the areas that count picture/sound, especially picture, it's pretty hard to fault.

As the Tosh was only a stop gap anyway I'm now looking at DVD players between £300-£400. Any make or model really, no brand loyalty here :) I don't really listen to CD's in my cinema room so that isn't a requirement. Just as good a picture and sound for movies as I can get. Second hand/demo equipment is also a possibility so give me your thoughts on that side of things too.

2. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I don't think that there is much difference in PQ and build between £100 and £300 players. If you hurry, you will still be able to get an Arcam DV88+ from Creative-Audio for £499. You won't better the build and PQ for anything close to this price, and the service at Arcam is supposed to be good.

N.B. I don't have any connection with the above, just happy with my purchase :D

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Dont dismiss the Pioneer 668 or the Denon 2200 either, both cracking players with top build quality and movie performance.

Should be able to pick them both up for less than £500 if you shop around.

4. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the suggestions guy's. All the players you've mentioned so far are definitely worth a look (especially the Arcam and the Denon).

Any more ideas people?

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Dave
    Where abouts are you in the midlands as iam selling my denon 2200 in the classifieds if your intrested.
    Cheers Gonzo.

6. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Gonzo,

I'm still thinking about what to buy at the moment. I may go the Arcam root, I'm just not sure yet. Thanks for the heads up though :)

7. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You should be able to pick up a new Pioneer 757ai for around £400-450. It would be high on my list (along with the denon 2200) in that price range.....