1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Me Choose a DIY DLP projector screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by loco13, Sep 8, 2005.

1. loco13

loco13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm new to all this projection screen subject. I have a 1700L 2000:1 DLP projector and I would like to make my own screen.

What do you think of MDF and also, I live in Australia so does anyone know the icestorm equivalent here? If not, could someone please post a shade of icestorm 5 and 6 to this thread so that I can get it color matched.

what color screen is best for a DLP projector?

Does MDF warp after being painted and should I put a primer on the MDF before the final coats?

Please Help...
    Thank you.

2. mgzr1400

mgzr1400
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have just used ice storm 6 on my wall but i just went into the nearest building supplies that mix colours and asked for ice storm 6 and they tapped it into the computer and mixed it for me. As for the mdf, it shouldnt warp as long as it is kept flat before fixing and i wouldnt advise anything below 1/2 inch thick. I would go for 3/4 inch mdf if you can get a good fixing. Let us know how you go on with it and I am really pleased with the colour on my wall and the picture is great too.

3. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29,696
  4. loco13

loco13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your kind advice, and for the link. It was very helpful. Ill post pictures as soon as I finish with the wall.

Loco..

5. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Paint both sides of the mdf to stop it warping ;)

6. 0B1-1

0B1-1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, I fancy trying this DIY route as I am well pi*sed off with my Draper screen ripples.

I plan on buying a sheet of MDF no more than 7 feet wide and cut to 16x9 configuration, (I guess it's 7'x4') I just wondered what the best primer to use and am I right to assume the icestorm5/6 matt emulsion will be o.k for the top coat?

The other option I have is to cut my draper screen off it's roller and glue it to a sheet of chipboard or MDF, has anyone done this, and if so what glue and board prep would you suggest?

Any DIYers out there, please advise!

Many thanks

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    That sounds quite a good idea actually. And if it went wrong you could simply paint the other side! I presume some decent paste or even something like border adhesive would suffice.

If it were me I'd ask my local DIY shop to cut the piece to size, just a few mill smaller than the screen plus border. Then you could trim exactly with a stanley knife once glued. I'd probably also paint the side edges black to finish it off. 6mm MDF should do. May be best painting the other side anyway to counteract the warping the moisture in the paste will induce.

..PJ