1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me choose a camera ... Please?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by rowbos, Aug 23, 2003.

1. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Every time I think I have chosen I start to doubt...

Looked at the kyocera S5 - can get this for £270 now - 5MP and lots of features, small, image quality unknown, was £500 when introduced so good value now. Thoughts?

Looked at the Pentax Optio S, can get this for £260 now - 3MP, lots of features and v.small, differing reports on image quality. Thoughts?

Looed at the Minolta Dimage Xt, can get this for £240 now - 3MP, not so many features and v.small, differing reports on image quality. Thoughts?

I want a small (ideally pocketable) camera, wife friendly - (super easy to use!), mostly just used for family snapshots. 99% of pics I take are printed onto 100*150mm photo paper - but i like the ability to zoon into areas to print.

I have been used to the quality of a Nikon Coolpix 950 until the AF system decided to lock up on me - and anyway I fancied a new (and smaller) camera!

Help me choose please! My head is spinning, and if I never read another (conflicting) camera review it will be too soon!

Thanks,

Steve.

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Looks a bit big and bulky for what I want really...

Like the look of both the Xt and the Optio S - just wondered how good the pics are really - dont forget I'm not trying to win any competitions here, just family snapshots.

Cheers,

Steve.

4. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    If that is all you truly want then buy any from your list and be done with it. All will do what you want. All I would add is if you to zoom in (crop the image) and print just part of the image you have taken then go for a higher pixel count.

5. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well decided to go for the Optio S.

And I am really pleased, took some pics last night and printed them on my Epson photo printer, colour and sharpness are definitely better than on my Nikon CP 950 (recently expired).

And the movie mode is amusing, and could be useful for small clips...

And it is REALLY small!

So well pleased all round!

Cheers,

Steve.