Help me choose a 4K projector

qwerty365

Novice Member
Hi,

I currently own an Epson 880 and I love it but with the PS5 coming and the advent of so much 4K movie content available for streaming, I want to upgrade to 4K.
I’m torn between the Optoma UHD30 4K, the Epson 3200, and the Epson 3800 (which is a price I’d rather not pay but if it far outstrips the other two, I would consider it).

My projector sits on a shelf about 15’ away from the wall and my seating is about 13’ from the screen (wall). I don’t do sports, just offline gaming and a lot of Netflix, YT, and Amazon. I have a couple of indirect windows for ambient light but I don’t have any issues with my current 880.

I actually bought the Optoma (hasn’t arrived yet), but the consumer reviews on it around the net are so split so I wanted more current opinions. Thanks!

Broadsword

There seems to be two types of budget 4k projectors, those with bright images and poor colour best for gaming and those with better colour and not as bright which are best for movies.

The optoma uhd30 is the former, having a brighter picture but colour isn’t as good as some alternatives. Have a look at the benq1720 and the bend 2700. These have better colour representation that the optoma but I’ve heard they are loud.

The uhd30 is the same as the uhd42 except the 42 has more lens shift options. Make sure you don’t need horizontal shift if you stick with the 30 as it has vertical shift only.

qwerty365

Novice Member
There seems to be two types of budget 4k projectors, those with bright images and poor colour best for gaming and those with better colour and not as bright which are best for movies.

The optoma uhd30 is the former, having a brighter picture but colour isn’t as good as some alternatives. Have a look at the benq1720 and the bend 2700. These have better colour representation that the optoma but I’ve heard they are loud.

The uhd30 is the same as the uhd42 except the 42 has more lens shift options. Make sure you don’t need horizontal shift if you stick with the 30 as it has vertical shift only.

thanks! I’ll have a look. So there isn’t really anything in this price range that does both movies and games well? Will the Optoma still bean improvement color wise over my Epson 880?

Broadsword

I don’t know the 880 unfortunately. I was looking for a budget 4k projector and that’s the conclusion I came up with. I wanted movies over games and the BenQ2700 was the one I was going to get until I rad about the split picture problems and the volume of the fan. I’ve decided to wait a bit.

The BenQ will be fine with games, it won’t have the high refresh rate that the others have (I may be making that up though, best check) or the low input lag but for offline stuff it will be adequate.

qwerty365

Novice Member
the 880 is a simple little projector I got for $500 bucks. Very bright but not 4K. Wanted to upgrade and that’s why I’m between these new ones like the Optoma, the Benq, and the Epson.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I currently own an Epson 880 and I love it but with the PS5 coming and the advent of so much 4K movie content available for streaming, I want to upgrade to 4K.
I’m torn between the Optoma UHD30 4K, the Epson 3200, and the Epson 3800 (which is a price I’d rather not pay but if it far outstrips the other two, I would consider it).

My projector sits on a shelf about 15’ away from the wall and my seating is about 13’ from the screen (wall). I don’t do sports, just offline gaming and a lot of Netflix, YT, and Amazon. I have a couple of indirect windows for ambient light but I don’t have any issues with my current 880.

I actually bought the Optoma (hasn’t arrived yet), but the consumer reviews on it around the net are so split so I wanted more current opinions. Thanks!

If its for the PS5, I'd personally wait for projectors to come out which have on-board DTM for the HDR content on games because games are mastered REALLY wierdly and you need either HGIG or DTM to get anywhere near a decent image (honestly, it can look pretty awful and blown out; resulted in some PC gamers using reshade).

If its just for pure resolution and gaming, I'd pick whichever one has the best/sharpest picture because thats pretty important for games.

If its for films and TV shows also and they take more priority, I'd try to find one which has the best contrast etc. etc.

qwerty365

Novice Member
If its for the PS5, I'd personally wait for projectors to come out which have on-board DTM for the HDR content on games because games are mastered REALLY wierdly and you need either HGIG or DTM to get anywhere near a decent image (honestly, it can look pretty awful and blown out; resulted in some PC gamers using reshade).

If its just for pure resolution and gaming, I'd pick whichever one has the best/sharpest picture because thats pretty important for games.

If its for films and TV shows also and they take more priority, I'd try to find one which has the best contrast etc. etc.

It is primarily for movies and TV shows. I obviously want the gaming image to be as great as possible but that’s not the primary. I’m not interested in waiting lol. So I suppose it’s between the 3800 and the Optoma

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom