Help me choose a 37-42in LCD

B

bashtage

It's finally time for me to join the modern era and ditch my big, heavy CRT TV. I've decided that I want a flat panel and it appears that an LCD is the better choice. My usage will be:

1. Connected to a PC for playing movies, eps, etc.
2. Connected to a DVD player ( I have a Tosh 350E already).
3. Light OTA TV

As of now, I don't have any plans for PS3/Xbox 360/Revolution (or any other console). I've been reading the forum and it appears there are a lot of good TVs out there and it's hard to choose (particularly since there appear to always be a beeter TV right around the corner).

I've come across the following models and would appreciate any direction or details you guys can give:

(Listed in alpha)

1. Philips 37PF5520D
2. Samsung LE40R51BX
3. Sharp LC37GA6E
4. Sharp LC37GD7E
5. Sony KDL-S40A12U
6. Sony KDL-V40A12U
7. Toshiba 37WLT58
8. Toshiba 42WLT58

I'm a bit overwhelmed as you might imagine. I think I'd like to have my PC connected to the TV via DVI (using a DVI-HDMI cable) and the DVD connected through component. Is this right (in the case of the WLT, both can be HDMI I suppose).

Also, which merchants (UK) are good and are there ones I should avoid?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

well the new samsung le40m61b is out on the net ( 1 place is selling it atm )
samsung said it will be in shops by end of oct. so any day now.
and when it does. surley the Samsung LE40R51BX will drop in price ?
im looking at getting the LE40R51BX but im waiting for the new 1 to hit the shops....
LE40R51BX = black and silver around £1500 ish.
LE40M61B = all black and around £2100
after reading a forum post on here about a poor guy and his TV from savastore ??

i would avoid shopping from them

and if u plan to buy online..... then i would try http://www.pricerunner.co.uk on the models above and see wot prices they come up.
or from shops. ur find they should also be in the list of places to buy if they have them . when u search on pricerunner.

i guess it depends on wot brands your prefer and if the TV has all the connections you need..

Sharp GD or Sony V - if you're planning on spending that sort of money.
Alternatively, whilst it's last year's model, the Sharp GD1 would be worth seeking out - more options and features than the trimmed down replacement GD7, although the latter's panel is a newer generation.
Forget the rest, IMO.
One other final candidate would be the JVC 37DS6, although others would say the sister company's (Panasonic) LXD500 is a smidgen better.

Toshiba havn't made a decent TV since prior to the Frame CRTs, when they were on top of their game.
Samsung - plenty of TV for your money, but made to a price rather than a level of quality of image.
Philips - big on gimmicks, and trying to move into price brackets they don't belong to. Notoriously unreliable at the best of times.

Thank you both for the reply. After doing more reading here, the field seems to have narrowed some but I have one new concern:

Do any of these sets support 1:1 pixel mapping from PC inputs (either over HDMI/DVI or VGA)? This would get strong consideration as I suspect the PC will be far and away the top source for the panel.

thanks again.

IIRC, the Sharp is able to do 1360x768 (so 3 pixels black either side or stretched to fill) and the JVC can do the same over HDMI with DVI-HDMI cable, apparently.
Best thing to do, is get Powerstrip for your PC and (if it's a laptop with decent GC) bring it to the store to check out for yourself what's what.

pjskel said:
IIRC, the Sharp is able to do 1360x768 (so 3 pixels black either side or stretched to fill) and the JVC can do the same over HDMI with DVI-HDMI cable, apparently.
Best thing to do, is get Powerstrip for your PC and (if it's a laptop with decent GC) bring it to the store to check out for yourself what's what.

:) My PC is probably 15-20 Kg in a giant silverstone case. I don't think they'd like me doing this...

Thanks for the info. Those two (the GD7 and the 37in JVC) along with the V40 seem to have made it to the final round (despite my initial inclination to the Tosh's better connectivity), although from the V* thread, it seems the V40 doesn't like anything close to 1:1 pixel. From what I could see, some people have set resolution in the 1200ish (1216??) range due to overscan on the HDMI on that set.

Thanks again.

And it's a bargain for very good cause - it's a Dell!
Sorry, but even if (well maybe except) Apple made an LCD TV, I'd be very wary of any Tv labelled a PC brand.
Does Tiny ring any bells anyone!

Nice PC specs btw - Dell by any chance?
No, didn't think so. And why not?
:D :smashin:

Interesting thread. I've been looking into this too for some time.

I'm surprised to see the toshiba dismissed. Its thread on this forum is very positive. It also does 1:1 over vga.

I'm also monitoring the phillips 9830 threads the 37 and 42 do 1080i which has to be good. And for SD I think as PP2 may help. 1:1 has not been acheived but apparently picture quality for PC video at 1080i is very good.

I'm also considering DLP rearpro - see the other forum. A lot more for your money.

My use would be similar to yours except I watch NTL digital cable.

I currently have a toshiba crt rearpro but need better PC connectivity less weight and a better picture.

Mark

Before you belittle Dell be aware that there FWP2004 is the SAME as the 20" Apple Cinema display, the panel is actually a Philips one.

I don't have a clue what panel is inside the bigger Dell screens though.

pjskel said:
And it's a bargain for very good cause - it's a Dell!
Sorry, but even if (well maybe except) Apple made an LCD TV, I'd be very wary of any Tv labelled a PC brand.
Does Tiny ring any bells anyone!

Nice PC specs btw - Dell by any chance?
No, didn't think so. And why not?
:D :smashin:

1. Philips 37PF5520D - NO way, this is not a very good set :) Very old model as well.

Toshiba, I jsut bought the Toshiba 42WLT58, go for bigger screen, you will regret it afterwards. I compared it with the Sony KDL-V40A12U, and the Toshiba is better. It also has 2 HDMI, which is handy, and also a nice stand, pedestal and normal stand.

Best thing to do is go to a store, and test out Toshiba 42WLT58 vs Samsung LE40R51BX vs Sharp Aquos LC37GD7E (this comes with 3 years free Sharp warranty :))

I would go for the Toshiba personally, great blacks and also a very good price for it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom