1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me calibrate my LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by SeeNoWeevil, Sep 2, 2005.

1. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +884
    Just received my samsung le32r41bdx and would like some advice calibrating it.

I have a vga connection from the pc so maybe some software or a web page with images?

I also have the built in dtv and Xbox/DVD via rgb scart which I assume has their own colour settings?

I don't have DVE or anything similar and and don't really want to splash more cash after buying the screen if I can help it! :D

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

Dom

2. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Unfortunately your PC will be sending a colour profile along with everything, so you cannot use your PC to calibrate your display properly. Any calibrations made like this will only be correct for your specific PC hooked up to it.

I know you don't want to spend the cash, but DVE is a must buy if you want to get a good calibration done.

It's only £13.49 delivered from "BlahDVD"
    http://www.blahdvd.com/blah/DVD_Product.aspx?productid=DVD-DVDI0710-5Z
    I just ordered a couple of days ago when it was £12 with a £2 voucher, so I'm getting it for £10. :D

Every device has their own output levels, so it's hard to calibrate them all perfectly. If you can play DVDs on your xbox, play the DVE disc through that to calibrate it (Xbox has a very dark RGB output) then do the same on your DVD player.

Play the DVD through you PC as well to calibrate it. As for Sky, your best bet is to go with the same settings you had for your DVD player, perhaps with some tweaking to get it just right.

Oh, one thing I should mention - make sure all video/audio controls on your DVD player are set to "0" so that they don't affect the calibration.