1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me buy the right screen

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by will206, Aug 22, 2005.

1. will206

will206

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right I've been reading this forum and looking at screens for a while and am almost at the point of buying something. So before I do I want to get some specific feedback on what I intend to do.

I'm a bit of a gamer so the things I'm going to want to connect up to it will be all of the next gen consoles (current ones until they come out) and a dvd player, along with a freeview box if I went for a panel. I also want to get a mac mini to go under the tv as a media box. I'm not too sure how this would work, obviously the tv is widescreen but with the number of pixels of a 4:3 screen. How would I connect up a mac to give the right aspect picture? Is this even a good idea?

I'm pretty much decided on a HD compatiable Panasonic screen but I'm not really sure which one. I prefer the look of the panels but they seem to come with an added cost. I'll be connecting up to a surround sound system so speakers don't matter, its just that they seem to cost more anyway and then you have to buy connectors and such like.

I don't really want to spend over 2k on the screen, I can get a wallmounted 42" pv500 for around £1850 through work. Is it likely the new phd8 could be bought for around that price? If so what connections would people recommend?

So basically, best way of connecting the following:

XBox 360
    PS3
    Revolution
    DVD Player
    Possibly freeview

to either a panel or a tv, and what sort of cost I could be looking at? Also really want some advice about using a mac with it.

Cheers guys.

2. zixer

zixer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a PV500 a couple of weeks ago, but (and I knew this beforehand) my iMac flatscreen(in the living room) has no video outputs. The Mini will have.
    The MacOSx has *loads* of different options for video, one will fit.
    HTH

3. icespirit

icespirit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the PV500 not have a VGA/D-Sub Input port? All iMac's for the last couple of years or more, have been capable of pushing an image onto a second display using the mini-vga port on the side of machine.

4. will206

will206

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure I'll be able to connect the mac up, what I'm really wondering is how it copes with the resolution to give a full screen display in the right aspect ratio?!