1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me buy pc (not for gaming)

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by -David-, Jun 23, 2005.

1. -David-

-David-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I'm after a new pc for doing business work and surfing the internet, not really intrested in gaming. I've seen this one
    and need to know if that's ok for the money? i've got about £350 to spend and need to make sure i don't waste it on a bad pc.

I don't know much about pc's so any help would be great. :smashin:

David

2. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    By business use, I assume a couple of instances of word, outlook open all the time and maybe the odd instance of excel? If so the memory should be fine, you may start running a little slow if you have any more applications open on top of that. To be safe, I'd take upto a 1gig of RAM.

3. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,103
    It's ok, but it's from PC World, which doesn't have a very high regard on these forums.

But if all you want to do is business work and surfing the net, then you could probably go for the cheapest PC you can find.

Do you have any requirements for burning dvds etc?
    What sort of business work would you be doing on it?

There is this one:
    http://www.savastore.com/productinf...vastore&product_id=10277556&pid=5&rstrat=3169
    from savastore for only £230 but it is very basic and comes with nothing really.

Greg

4. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Interesting point here - I have the same motherboard in my PC (I also use this for business use only) with 512mb of RAM and it's fine. I do have a 256MB graphics card because I use Visio and Powerpoint quite a lot.

5. -David-

-David-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just accounts, statements, invoiceing, storing a lot of pictures from the work we do. Would be intrested in burning dvd's etc. I'm not a fan of pcworld myself just wanted to know if that was a decent pc?

6. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Looks ok, your down to earth basic PC that does a job.

7. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I say build your own. Its cheaper and you have the option to upgrade over time.
    The last PC I built only cost me 200 quid or so to build. But thats with no monitor or software, It does have fairly high specs though.

Get a barebones system from a companie like shuttle and choose your CPU memory and HDD. You can use the built in sound chips and get a cheap graphics card to put in the AGP slot. At least you will have some option as to whether you want to game or not.

Its cheap, easy and upgradable. Something which many company made PCs are not.

8. PinkPig

PinkPig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure about building your own if you want a low-end PC, you can often get something for a much better price prebuilt. If it's just general purpose use you want, then bundled things that many people would say are useless (cheap printer / camera, scanner, loads of cheap software, speakers, etc) make the price pretty reasonable. Plus, you will get a warranty.

Essentially, for word processing and general buisness use you don't need anything remotely expensive - price, reliability and warranty are much more important